Ohio Gov Kasich Calls Us A "Train Cult"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of a cult.
And exactly WHY are you on this forum?
I'm here for the same reason lots of you are: I'm interested in trains
Then you're part of the "train cult"!
ohmy.gif

Call me different, but I am actually happy that some crazy Republican governors are trying to turn down federal funding. It means my state -- a state which would actually be happy to receive federal money -- might get a second chance.

So Ohio ... please turn down the money. Send it to states that would be happy to put the unemployed back to work while building out our infrastructure.

http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x1817615744/Kasich-needs-lesson-in-history-of-high-speed-rail-service

The letter was posted today, online discussion is starting to brew. Feel free to give some people the real facts and figures.
Nicely done, keep beating the drum, sqeaking the wheel. I'll keep coming back to the link to see the comments that are posted.

The one argument against rail/HSR that I'm having difficulty countering with the opponents I run across is.......Amtrak serves just a small percentage of the population, high speed rail an even smaller percentage.

I have a few counters to this but would like some more ammo from AU members. Any help??

http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x1817615744/Kasich-needs-lesson-in-history-of-high-speed-rail-service

The letter was posted today, online discussion is starting to brew. Feel free to give some people the real facts and figures.
Nicely done, keep beating the drum, sqeaking the wheel. I'll keep coming back to the link to see the comments that are posted.

The one argument against rail/HSR that I'm having difficulty countering with the opponents I run across is.......Amtrak serves just a small percentagete of the population, high speed rail an even smaller percentage.

I have a few counters to this but would like some more ammo from AU members. Any help??
Based on the population of Ohio the 3C service will hit between four and six percent of Ohioans, and additional plans are in the works to expand it to cities beyond the three Cs, including Delaware, OH and Akron OH, basically college towns. There are Twenty five cities listed on the 2009 feasibility study that could have 3C service by 2020.

None of these locations have Amtrak service.

Another good argument is that it may only be 5% of Ohioans, but it is more like 15% of those living in the areas actually served by the 3C, which basically follows I-71, that's a lot of cars that don't have to be on the road, reducing times for everybody and long term cost of maintaining the highway system.

You chumps going to leave me hanging in the comments section there? ;)
That's why I'm asking for help on the population numbers argument. I want to respond to "JimHardy1234" comment about the projected ridership of the 3C only serving 4.1% of Ohio's population.

The guy that responded to your post is the Chump.

BTW, it is this type of encouragement from Ryan to step up and comment that could just help change some minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, it is this type of encouragement from Ryan to step up and comment that could just help change some minds.
Indeed, and I was joking about the "chumps" part. I do see things like this as an opportunity to change some minds. Doubt that JimHandy (or anyone else commenting on "the other side") will come back and say "gee, you're right", but who knows how many people will read without commenting? Let's give them some solid facts and something worth remembering.

The mind that needs to be changed is that or Kaisich. I have an inside source that told me he would read this letter and has read it. He is actively trying t gauge the political climate in Ohio before he assumes office.

I'm order to change his mind there needs to be conclusive evidence that the 3C corridor is a popular opinion, a non-partisan issue.

Enough letters and discussions like this one will hopefully shift a little media attention to the issue.

The bottom line to all fiscal conservatives who oppose this project is that this money will be spent no matter what Kasich does, the money will be spent so why not send it on a project that USDOT determined was worth the money.

Those of you reading the story I humbly ask you consider sharing this letter on Facebook. There is a button under the title line above the letter body that is the Facebook logo, and it will allow you to like and share and comment on Facebook.

The easiest way to spin a small yarn into a bigger story is to use social media.

So I posted a comment to the Canton Suppository, er, Repository, online edition to Micah Miller's letter to the editor "Kasich needs lesson in history of high-speed rail service." Is ALC_Rail_Writer Micah? If yes, I gave you some props.

I registered as JohnNY_The_Chief. Catchy, huh?

That would be me, I prefer 'M', as my real-life friends and family call me. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Wow, lots of good facts, heavy on the supporting data in the comments section over there - it seems an already excellent and persuasive letter and really boosted the power of it.

Well done!

This is going great and going strong, nearly 24 reccomendations on Facebook and over 50 comments, keep going and the Rep may pick this up for a story in its "Ohio" section.

Dax, you're oddly quiet.

Came across this on the NARP website. Gov. Strickland sent a 6 page letter to Gov. Elect Kasich arguing that he should save the 3C corridor project. letter was hand delivered according to the intro. The letter can be found at http://www.governor.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=wzqMm3Q3CwU%3d&tabid=1820.

Kasich may have locked himself into a political position where he has to cancel the 3C to save face and it is pretty clear that Kasich is not a fan of train travel, but the 3C supporters are not going to let him kill the project quietly.

It is going to have to be the first decision of the administration, if he decides to cancel it... It won't go quietly. If he supports it, he can claim that he brought jobs in Ohio. I doubt he'd get much flack for backtracking on this one.

And it s good to show lame duck Strickland still fighting the good fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back