Nevada Wash Out Repairs on the California Zephyr Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly, if I was going to San Francisco with a purpose other than merely riding trains, as soon as the disruption became apparent I would make alternative arrangements to get to San Francisco which probably will not involve trains.

Exactly how many dedicated CHI - San Fran train travelers are there per day who have no concern about how much additional time and uncertainty it takes to get there, so as to stick to a train as the only choice?
This is what we did during our 2017 Loxton America by train vacation a few weeks ago.

We first confirmed with an Amtrak ticket agent in Chicago Union Station that the California Zephyr is indeed only running as far as Salt Lake City and that train 3 is sold out for next week or so.

We then re-booked ourselves on the California Zephyr to Salt Lake City, so we could still see the Rocky Mountains, and then we organized to stay overnight in a Salt Lake City airport motel before flying over to San Francisco to continue our itinerary as planned.

It's clear that Amtrak doesn't care about providing service on this route, so I'm having trouble caring either. :-(
Tell me, what exactly where they supposed to do? All of the alternative routings were washed out as well, and they would have needed to detour ~1000 miles to get through.

Back