Nevada Wash Out Repairs on the California Zephyr Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be surprised if/when Oroville Evacuation goes back into effect over the coming days. Multiple storm systems expected through Monday.
I got the impression, probably incorrect, that they were less worried about the additional water from those storms? I hope it doesn't pan out worst case though.

Don't be surprised if/when Oroville Evacuation goes back into effect over the coming days. Multiple storm systems expected through Monday.
I got the impression, probably incorrect, that they were less worried about the additional water from those storms? I hope it doesn't pan out worst case though.
According to LA times, water level was dropping. Also, a single round does not necessarily cause issues. It is rather a round of storms coming in consecutively.

Lake Oroville's issues necessitating the evacuations were due to the emergency spillway use. As long as the lake level remains below where the emergency spillway comes into play, there will be no additional evacuations. As of this morning, the level of the lake was 37 feet down from that point and dropping. The damage to the main spillway, while catastrophic, is not life threatening. Just more and more expensive and complicated to fix as water erodes everything to bedrock.

I would not be concerned at this time that any further evacuations will be forthcoming.

That is good news that that the CZ will start full service in less than a week.
That is certainly a good news, but the bad news is that the Train Jam guys (a travel group that essentially monopolized the train, similar to the Safety Patrol special on the Silver Meteor) might still get hosed by this recent interruption, if they found out that they couldn't get past SLC due to the washout.

Train Jam folks are enroute to the annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco Feb 28 - Mar 3. So, they should not be hosed if CZ service resumes any time next week.

Hello Everyone,

I am sure many of you are aware of our epic 12 segment long Loxton winter Amtrak rail pass vacation that i posted about a month or 2 ago here on this forum.

As planned, we were to take the California Zephyr from Chicago right through the rocky mountains to Emeryville a few days ago.

We turned up to Chicago Union Station to check in for our train, after arriving from New York on the Lake shore limited, and we were told that today's California Zephyr was only running as far as salt lake city and we would need to find alternative transport onward from salt lake city or catch other sold out trains.

The end result of this misadventure was us catching the California Zephyr train through the rocky mountains, on the day originally booked, as far as salt lake city.

From there we stayed overnight in a budget airport motel and flew out to the San Francisco area (San Jose Airport) on Southwest Airlines the next day, to arrive at our hotel for 3 booked nights as previously planned and then enjoyed a rather long UBER ride to this downtown San Francisco hotel.

Is there any way we can obtain compensation from Amtrak for this disruption to our travel plans, which required us to spend extra money on an overnight stay in a hotel in Salt Lake City followed by spending extra money on a flight to the San Francisco area? The total cost of this disappointing delay (not including UBER taxi ride) was approximately USD $400.

Is there any way we can obtain compensation from Amtrak for this disruption to our travel plans, which required us to spend extra money on an overnight stay in a hotel in Salt Lake City followed by spending extra money on a flight to the San Francisco area? The total cost of this disappointing delay (not including UBER taxi ride) was approximately USD $400.
No. You chose to continue to Salt Lake City, stay there, and then fly. Amtrak offered alternate transportation, which you refused.

You may be able to get the value of the unused portion of your tickets, but Amtrak is not responsible for the weather.

No. You chose to continue to Salt Lake City, stay there, and then fly. Amtrak offered alternate transportation, which you refused.

You may be able to get the value of the unused portion of your tickets, but Amtrak is not responsible for the weather.
Not disagreeing with your response, but I noted that Heath stated that they(not Amtrak) would be responsible for find alternate transportation and he mentioned that the alternate Amtrak trains like the SWC were "sold out". Amtrak should definitely refund the unused portion of the tickets since despite the weather or washed out tracks Amtrak did not provide the service between Salt Lake City and Emeryville nor an alternate routing.

Have you tried contacting Amtrak? I think you should be able to get a refund on the portion of the trip between Salt Lake and Emeryville. Don't know what Amtrak's policy is regarding "Act of God" issues, but you should see what they say. Amtrak might not have been able to provide alternate transportation, at least via bus, given that I-80 might have also been closed. When was this trip made? If it was right when the Sierra's were being hit, Amtrak may have not figured out what the situation was until the day you left on the Zephyr from Chicago.

Amtraks alternative for that day (catching train 3 then coast starlight) was sold out which meant we would need lodging in Chicago anyway, until the next train was available, and that would have ruined the rest of our itinerary.

Have you tried contacting Amtrak? I think you should be able to get a refund on the portion of the trip between Salt Lake and Emeryville. Don't know what Amtrak's policy is regarding "Act of God" issues, but you should see what they say
I'm going to say the outlook for receiving compensation for anything other than a refund for unused rail fare is grim:

Force Majeure Event

Force Majeure Event

Amtrak may, in the event of a force majeure event, without notice, cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any train or the right of carriage without liability except to issue a refund. The refund will be made in the original form of payment in accordance with refund rules for any unused portion of the ticket.

Force Majeure Event means: Any condition beyond Amtrak's control including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of nature, riots,civil commotion, embarges, wars, hostilities, or distrubances - actual, threatened, or reported. Also, because of any delay, demand, circumstances or requirement due, directly or indirectly to such conditions, or

Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting Amtrak's services, or

Any government regulation, demand or requirement, or

Any shortage of labor, fuel or facilities of Amtrak or others, or

Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by Amtrak.
I still think you should follow Fulham's advice and see what they have to say. Perhaps they will at least give you a voucher for future travel.

Since the CAL Z is being shorted why hasn't the SWC added cars to carry passengers ? This is a major question to Moorman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to ticket SWC and it was sold out. I tried to go out a few weeks and it was sold out or very limited. I don't know enough about equipment but it would seem the an extra sleeper while CZ is down would be of great benefit.

Since the CAL Z is being shorted why hasn't the SWC added cars to carry passengers ? This is a major question to Moorman.

I'm not that well versed on Western OPS, but carry them to where? They don't share common stops. Sure, 3 appears to connect to 14 (and some other local trains) but 11 doesn't appear to connect to 4. Additionally, there are major problems that are impacting bus operations in the area.

So where are you sending them to?

I just want to know why there isn't an advisory about all of this. I still think it should be on the website and thanks to the shake up, I can't even drop a hint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, if I was going to San Francisco with a purpose other than merely riding trains, as soon as the disruption became apparent I would make alternative arrangements to get to San Francisco which probably will not involve trains.

Exactly how many dedicated CHI - San Fran train travelers are there per day who have no concern about how much additional time and uncertainty it takes to get there, so as to stick to a train as the only choice?

I have been checking the status of ticket sales on SAC to CHI and it indicates SOLD OUT through 2/21. Tickets are being sold for 2/22 and later.

I have been checking the status of ticket sales on SAC to CHI and it indicates SOLD OUT through 2/21. Tickets are being sold for 2/22 and later.
I'm guessing that is how long it takes to resume. I have nothing to say, but one thing for sure. Northern CA has another storm approaching. Even if service thru Nevada is resumed, this storm can cut it at Reno for a while. 2017 seems like a bad start for Amtrak, hope they could turn the tide around.

I'm guessing that is how long it takes to resume. I have nothing to say, but one thing for sure. Northern CA has another storm approaching. Even if service thru Nevada is resumed, this storm can cut it at Reno for a while. 2017 seems like a bad start for Amtrak, hope they could turn the tide around.
Yes, quite heavy Mon. & Tues. in the mountains and foothills ---- mudslides/avalanches. And, heavy rain in the valley, which could lead to washouts.

How do they handle service disruptions for passengers in Europe??

Because demand doesn't require it?

Has the SWC been sold out since the washout?
Yes. I tried to book CHI - FMD on 2/17; but the only thing left was a family room, not an option for such a short trip.

I wound up leaving a day early. The two ooaches (one a coach-bag) were fairly crowded, but not sold out

Back