Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As greatcats doesn't post pictures, let me toss up this blurry shot of an active Amtrak station served only during darkness if the trains are reasonably close to on time.

Can anyone name this station?

0089-M.jpg

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Fargo, ND. Never seen the station clearly, but I know the train is only there between 2-3am both ways.

Fargo is a reasonable guess based on the hint given but in the 1970's Fargo was served by both the North Coast Hiawatha and the Empire Builder.

The station in my photo has never been served by more than one long-distance Amtrak train in each direction per day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another hint in the form of a photo taken of a train at this station in 1979. This is the other side of the building and the train appears in daylight because it is running about 3 hours late.

For those familiar with Amtrak in this era, have a look at the second and third locomotives.

0041-M.jpg

Not Toledo -

And while it is difficult to make out the 2nd and 3rd locomotives....... you can tell that they are not in an Amtrak scheme. What non-Amtrak scheme (on an E-unit) might be pulling an Amtrak train in 1979?

How about Spartanburg, SC? If correct, let someone post photo that can....

edit....you give helpful hints... ;)

Railiner is a winner!!!!!!

This is the former Southern Railway Station in Spartanburg, SC.

All those tracks are there because just out of sight to the right of the image is an interchange track dropping from the Southern Railway down to the former ACL which tunneled under the Southern enroute to it's interchange with the former Clinchfield just beyond the depot. Clinchfield's small yard was adjacent to the campus of Wofford College. My next hint was going to be something along the lines of the mascot for the local college athletic teams being the Terriers! The sharp eye might even spot some kudzu encroaching on the track leading to the interchange from the right side of the image.

The train in the photograph is a 3-hour late Amtrak #19, the 'Crescent'.

The photo was taken several months after Amtrak assumed operation of this train from the Southern and it was typical at that time to see a single Amtrak locomotive..... either an E9 or an F40..... leading a pair of E8's still in Southern Railway's green and gold passenger scheme. The sleeping cars on the 'Crescent' at that time were usually ex-Southern still lettered as such.

Good work guys...... and admittedly between the early morning sun and the fact that Amtrak wasn't keeping the units as spotlessly clean as Southern had, it's difficult in this photo to tell that they are still green.

I'll yield the floor to anyone else who would like to post a station photo.

It's been more than 48 hours without a new photo on the floor...... allow me to jumpstart the thread with an interior photo from the late 70's, early 80's.

This is an active station....... busier now than it was then...... and aside from the now obsolete (and since removed) arrival and departure boards, the place looks pretty much the same today.

Who can name it first?

0084-M.jpg

Back