Motels near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hallways, front desk, and bath rooms at the Holiday Inn Downtown are fine. You don't need pictures for those. I stayed there for the Gathering and the hotel was good. Quiet location as long as you don't face the expressway, obviously higher is better, and superb customer service.

The general recommendation for cheap in town Chicago rooms is the Ohio House near the McDonald's in the Mag Mile area. Highly rated, in the center of things. Standard cheap motel rooms but the location makes up for it. They also offer free parking which is nice if you have a car, but unnecessary if you don't - most downtown Chicago hotels, as do most downotwn hotels, charge for parking.

Suggestion: Much of the year the Kimpton Hotels are pricy, but at off times are fairly reasonable with beautiful accommodations. They are not real close to Union Station, but I have walked to all of them. ( 2 years ago in the middle if the night following a blizzard!). The hotels are the Palomar, Monaci, Allegro, and Burnham.

If you are light on luggage, the #151 bus picks up at Union Station and goes to Michigan Avenue and returns? Inexpensive and on a regular schedule.

Anything nice with rooms that have a good view of the El?
Thinking of places mentioned already in this thread, the Palmer House and Hotel Allegro both adjoin the Loop, and the downtown hostel is next to the Orange/Green lines right after they exit the Loop. Also adjoining the Loop are the Silversmith, the Wit, and the Renaissance.

Haven't been in a guest-room in any of these, but they all directly adjoin the L tracks.

Although I did start with the Holiday Inn, it was in response to the op request for a hotel near the station. I do not really like the sameness of chain hotels, although some folk feel more comfortable with what they know. I would not spend over $100 a night anywhere. I enjoy the variety of buildings and the variety of the guests at most youth hostels... prices there are around $25-$35 night, except New York around $50-$60 night. Although called youth hostels, they let in youths of my age, 61 too!

Ed :cool:
At the suggestion of AUers, I stayed at the HI-Chicago for the gathering. I'm also not a youth & felt comfortable there.

Anything nice with rooms that have a good view of the El?
Thinking of places mentioned already in this thread, the Palmer House and Hotel Allegro both adjoin the Loop, and the downtown hostel is next to the Orange/Green lines right after they exit the Loop. Also adjoining the Loop are the Silversmith, the Wit, and the Renaissance.

Haven't been in a guest-room in any of these, but they all directly adjoin the L tracks.
Yes, I once was in the Silversmith right over the Wabash El. Of course your room has to be on that side. Same would be true of the others.

Where do out-of-town crewmembers stay at? Just curious.....sometimes those hotels offer a discounted rate to regular passenger's.....

While these are not luxury properties, they may be satisfactory if just looking for a bed and a shower........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back