Motels near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be traveling from Portland to Chicago and need a motel near Union Station on the night of August 6. Preferably would like it to be within walking distance of the station...nice amenities and a fairly reasonable price...recommendations? Are there any motel/hotels that offer shuttle services to the station? Also am interested in attractions in the same vicinity, as we will not leave town until late the following afternoon.

In a city like Chicago "walking distance" can be two blocks or twenty blocks depending on whom you ask. Likewise "reasonable price" can mean anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on who you're talking to. Although I've visited several nice hotels in Chicago the only hotel which was near Union Station was the JW Marriott. This is the same hotel listed in the post above mine. I found the JW to be modern and comfortable with nothing to complain about during my visit. I'd say it does a good job of reaching a 4-star service level if that's what you're looking for. As with many big city hotels prices can range from moderate to very high depending on how full the hotel is. Unfortunately it does not appear that the JW Marriott is bookable for the 6th of August. IIRC there was a W across the street from the JW. Maybe that hotel is still available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

A few years back I stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown at 506 West Harrison Street which was very close to the station. The common advice on this forum for economical price hotels is to look out near O' Hare airport. Not what you asked, but may be worth considering? I guess it comes down to a balance between big city prices with that central location, against the reverse. I tend to use public transport where I can, there are several CTA bus stops at Union station, and the Blue line "EL" is within easy walking distance, not too far from that Holiday Inn also.

Ed :cool:

We stayed two nights at the buckingham athletic club. It was amazing and we had a pretty good price through Booking.com (less than $200). All rooms are on the 40th floor. It was about 4 blocks from the station (it is at the Metra Lasalle street station)

http://www.bac-chicago.com/kemper/courses/layout10.asp?id=152&page=2315

I think the closest hotel might be the Holiday Inn, just a couple of blocks south (mentioned above by caravanman)

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/chicago/chiwh/hoteldetail

I'm going to ramble here because that's what I do.

The 151 bus stops right in front of the station and has very frequent service.

There are any number of hotels along the bus route along Michigan Ave aka The Magnificent Mile.

Booking.com and Hotels.com are a great way to find hotels.

Also, what do you consider a 'reasonable' price? To me, $200 is a decent price and more than reasonable.

The Holiday Inn mentioned would not be a choice for me because of the ugly location, hotel type, and price.

For almost $200,I'd rather be near Michigan Ave. in a much nicer hotel.

They do seem to care about their guests though, and answer all of the reviews that people post on Tripadvisor.

The 151 bus stops right in front of the beautiful, historic Drake hotel right on Michigan Ave at the lakefront.

The rate for the ugly Holiday Inn on 8/6 is $186, the Drake is $209 and there's absolutely no comparison.

Just a word in defense of the Holiday Inn mentioned above....I stayed there this past summer, about the same date that you're considering - and it was very comfortable with affordable amenities. Sure, you have to walk a few blocks to get to Union Station - but I took a taxi and with tip, it was $6.00 one way. The room was apx. $150 including taxes, far less than Buckingham [stayed there in 2011...and the views ARE awesome!] I'm sure inflation has taken the room higher for 2014. It looks like you'll get a good rate, though, since you aren't staying over during Taste of Chicago or Lollapalooza. No, the hotel is no great work of architecture, but was clean, comfortable, and and restaurant in the lobby offered good prices and convenience. The staff went above and beyond to make sure my stay was good. It all depends on your definition of "reasonable".... you won't find suburban prices in the heart of the Loop. Good luck and have a great trip!

I like to stay at McCormick Place Hyatt and paid attention to the taxi cost the last couple of times I was there and it was less than $11 from the train station. I got a $99 'Construction Special' this past summer and I didn't notice any work being done. I like to stay at places that give Amtrak Guest Reward points and Hyatt is one of those.

I really like Club Quarters on Wacker. I got a room for $130, and it was really close to Michigan Ave and the L. They don't have a lot of amenities, though, so I'd suggest anything along Michigan Ave if you want a pool, breakfast, etc.

Check Hotwire too. We got a room at my favorite hotel (Hotel Sax) for $160. It's normally $280.

There aren't many hotels extremely close to the station but a zillion that are walkable or a manageable cab/bus ride. However, at certain times, rooms in Chicago are expensive. Personally, I find the best deals by rolling the dice with Priceline. Specify the Loop, or if you don't mind a bit more distance but many more hotels, River North.. I recently got a room at the Westin River North for $105. The McCormick Place hotel is an option if there is no convention going on, but then you isolated at McCormick place.

There are any number of hotels along the bus route along Michigan Ave aka The Magnificent Mile.

Also, what do you consider a 'reasonable' price? To me, $200 is a decent price and more than reasonable.

The Holiday Inn mentioned would not be a choice for me because of the ugly location, hotel type, and price.

They do seem to care about their guests though, and answer all of the reviews that people post on Tripadvisor.

The 151 bus stops right in front of the beautiful, historic Drake hotel right on Michigan Ave at the lakefront.

The rate for the ugly Holiday Inn on 8/6 is $186, the Drake is $209 and there's absolutely no comparison.
In terms of hotel experience, I would agree, but in terms of the actual standard rooms, the Holiday Inn is superior. And closer to the station.

I really like Club Quarters on Wacker. I got a room for $130, and it was really close to Michigan Ave and the L. They don't have a lot of amenities, though, so I'd suggest anything along Michigan Ave if you want a pool, breakfast, etc. Check Hotwire too. We got a room at my favorite hotel (Hotel Sax) for $160. It's normally $280.
I never visited the Wacker location, and to be honest that's nowhere near Union Station, but there is another Club Quarters just one block east of the JW Marriott and a half mile away from Union Station on Adams. I have stayed at the CQ on Adams and I found it to be a good value as well.

Personally, I find the best deals by rolling the dice with Priceline. Specify the Loop...
Priceline and Hotwire can be extremely helpful when there is a glut of unsold rooms, but during a busy period they're not going to save you more than a few bucks, which is probably not worth the loss of control over which hotel you get.

In terms of hotel experience, I would agree, but in terms of the actual standard rooms, the Holiday Inn is superior. And closer to the station.

If you say so but I've never stayed in a superior Holiday Inn and more than likely won't, so I wouldn't know.

The Drake's standard rooms and linens are deluxe in comparison to budget chains.

The Drake is also a Hilton Hotel and an AGR hotel partner.

Ooooh, this could almost be a Chicago Pizza thread. :p

Native Chicagoan and EYEtalian am I :)

All the previous Posts have given Good Advice Based on Personal Experience! I have stayed in Chicago Many times, Downtown ,Wrigleyville (Lincoln Park)and out by the Airport (O'Hare)! As has been said, it depends what's going on in Chicago, Prices on the same hotel can Range from $100 a Night to $300+!!!

Also as mentioned, the Amenities that you Desire Help Determine the Price (Breakfast/Pools/Spas/Star Rating etc.)AGR Points might also be a Consideration? (Hilton Honors etc.)

I agree with the Guest Quarters Recommendation and the Marriot is a Nice,Dependable Hotel (for under $200 a Night Only!!!) When it comes to Chains, I've found that the Lesser Hiltons, Marriots and Holiday Inn Express offer Good Value for the Price!

When it comes to Snagging Good Prices on Travel Sites I like to use Kayak and Booking.com. They let you See Pictures of the Hotel, Map Location, List of Amenities, Deals, and have Comments by Guests. You can also look up Hotels you like on Trip Advisor. Lastly, if you are a Member of a Loyalty Program like Hilton Honors you may find a Good Deal for the one Night you want to stay!

Please let us know what you Find, It will Help others that like to Travel, even if they like Trains! ^_^

Although I did start with the Holiday Inn, it was in response to the op request for a hotel near the station. I do not really like the sameness of chain hotels, although some folk feel more comfortable with what they know. I would not spend over $100 a night anywhere. I enjoy the variety of buildings and the variety of the guests at most youth hostels... prices there are around $25-$35 night, except New York around $50-$60 night. Although called youth hostels, they let in youths of my age, 61 too!

If your goal is a unique hotel then you might want to give the Palmer House a try. Even though it's owned by Hilton it doesn't look or feel like any Hilton I've ever seen. Folks taking tours of Chicago landmarks were coming by to take in the art and architecture. We also saw former President Clinton as he was leaving the hotel.

The Crowne Plaza at Madison and Halsted is nearly as close to Union Station as the JW Marriott and the W but (per all their websites) looks to be cheaper. It's on the other side of the expressway -- overpasses, not underpasses, thankfully -- but in the midst of Greektown, if you've always wanted to try flaming cheese with dinner. :)

I've never stayed at any of the Chicago ClubQuarters because I live in Chicago :giggle: but I've stayed at CQ in Boston and New York and was very pleased with them. And yes, the Palmer House is gorgeous and exceedingly convenient to anything you'd want to go to in Chicago.

The CQ on Wacker isn't super close, but it IS right by the L hub that gets you on every line but Blue (and that's just one stop away). You can use the Brown Line to get to Union Station or you can board any number of buses on Michigan (right around the corner).

So, it's not close, but I love the convenience and its location for all manner of sightseeing. You can get pretty much anywhere from there due to its proximity to the L hub and the buses along Michigan.

Edited for clarity.

While not exactly in Chicago, I have a Chicago-Area hotel that I like when I have an overnight layover.

That's the Comfort Suites adjacent to the Metra Station in Aurora. Takes about an hour to get there from Union Station BUT it's only a 10 minute hop from Naperville if I'm coming in from the west off the California Zephyr or Southwest Chief.

Although I did start with the Holiday Inn, it was in response to the op request for a hotel near the station. I do not really like the sameness of chain hotels, although some folk feel more comfortable with what they know. I would not spend over $100 a night anywhere. I enjoy the variety of buildings and the variety of the guests at most youth hostels... prices there are around $25-$35 night, except New York around $50-$60 night. Although called youth hostels, they let in youths of my age, 61 too!

I don't think these folks are looking for a hostel, but Chicago has one of the nicest in the country, thanks to a wealthy couple who endowed it.

http://hichicago.org/about-hi-chicago/

Although I did start with the Holiday Inn, it was in response to the op request for a hotel near the station. I do not really like the sameness of chain hotels,
The Holiday Inn And Suites Chicago-Downtown is NOT same-y. It's a classic railroad hotel which predates the construction of the Eisenhower expressway. It was closed for some decades after the decline of the railroads, and reopened fairly recently as a Holiday Inn -- but make no mistake, the decor shows the storied history of the hotel.

For that reason, as a bit of a railbuff, I enjoyed it very much.

Although I did start with the Holiday Inn, it was in response to the op request for a hotel near the station. I do not really like the sameness of chain hotels,
The Holiday Inn And Suites Chicago-Downtown is NOT same-y. It's a classic railroad hotel which predates the construction of the Eisenhower expressway. It was closed for some decades after the decline of the railroads, and reopened fairly recently as a Holiday Inn -- but make no mistake, the decor shows the storied history of the hotel.

For that reason, as a bit of a railbuff, I enjoyed it very much.
Having an open mind, your comment got me interested but, then, I went to their website and looked at their gallery.

Nothing about it looks historic or 'classic railroad' to me. Plenty of ugly, depressing looking, chain hotel to go around though, jmo of course.

http://www.hidowntown.com/gallery.php

Their adverts are doing their best to show how much of the classic decor they have hidden and covered up -- which is a chain thing, I guess.

Did you notice that they have NO photos of the hallways, front desk, bathrooms, etc.? Think about it.

I do think it's kind of odd that they're embarassed by the hotel's history -- and they clearly are embarassed by it, for some reason. I still found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back