Ice Cream Replaced With Warm Date Pudding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love British style pudding (and American pudding too!), and also like dates, so this looks and sounds very tasty to me. Wife and I just had some figgy pudding for Christmas. My wife doesn't usually care for dates or figs, but was pleasantly surprised at the figgy pudding and wants to have it again.

Just an opinion but that stuff looks like pure crap and I wouldn't touch it. Its a far cry from the days that Amtrak offered Fruit , Sorbet, Terramisu and Ice Cream on the desert menu. If it keeps going like this, why before you know it, they'll be serving us Twinkies. .

Just an opinion but that stuff looks like pure crap and I wouldn't touch it. Its a far cry from the days that Amtrak offered Fruit , Sorbet, Terramisu and Ice Cream on the desert menu. If it keeps going like this, why before you know it, they'll be serving us Twinkies. .
For some who complain, that might be an improvement. At least one can find the calories, sugar and non-nutritional content of them, unlike the rest of Amtrak's fare. :)

If it keeps going like this, why before you know it, they'll be serving us Twinkies. .
So, what you're saying is you think the Amtrak dining car experience will be improving soon, right?

Hostess-extends-into-frozen-food-market-with-Deep-Fried-Twinkies_strict_xxl.jpg

Can we get fried green tomatoes on the menu also, or is that asking too much?

Ya know, sometimes this gets to be just a bitching contest and really boring. If ya don't like date pudding, don't eat it. Nothing we can do about it. This is much ado about nothing.

I find it interesting that the two most common thoughts about Amtrak diners on this board are:

1. Amtrak food is horrible and will probably kill you.

2. How many meals do I get while riding from point A to point B?

I find it interesting that the two most common thoughts about Amtrak diners on this board are:

hahahah!! "Food is terrible here....and such small portions!" I am guilty of the 1st half at least. I just want amtrak to serve good food and provide a good experience. I think the date pudding is a step up from the nasty chemical "ice cream" that probably contains no milk or milk products in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, Amtrak food won't kill you. It's the passenger accessible ice that's claimed to be lethal. Most Amtrak ingredients aren't even fresh enough to risk going bad in the first place. They mostly consist of precooked pantry and freezer food. Which means they will probably last forever so long as the power doesn't go out. The only downside is that they're already stale, bland, and congealed when they're brought on board. Amtrak diner food looks and tastes almost exactly like retirement home food. If that's the sort of food you find appealing then there's no reason to believe you won't be equally impressed with Amtrak's dining menu.

No, Amtrak food won't kill you. It's the passenger accessible ice that's claimed to be lethal. Most Amtrak ingredients aren't even fresh enough to risk going bad in the first place. They mostly consist of precooked pantry and freezer food. Which means they will probably last forever so long as the power doesn't go out. The only downside is that they're already stale, bland, and congealed when they're brought on board. Amtrak diner food looks and tastes almost exactly like retirement home food. If that's the sort of food you find appealing then there's no reason to believe you won't be equally impressed with Amtrak's dining menu.
Calm down, Devil, I wasn't commenting on whether Amtrak food is good or bad, I just find it funny that so many people complain about it, yet there are always questions about how many meals are available during a given trip. Such as," I'll be getting on the train in East Nowhere at 8:30, will I still get breakfast?" or "Can I sneak my friend who is traveling by coach into the diner and get a free meal for him by acting as if he is traveling with me in a roomette (and how about letting him use the shower afterwards)?"

People, on average, don't like starving or involuntary diets. They would *prefer* decent food but will eat indecent food if the alternative is not eating anything.

People, on average, also don't like trying to carry multiple days' meals with them on the train. Consider the questions about number of meals to be a question about how much they have to pack.

It's not funny at all, except in a really black-humor kind of way. It's disgraceful that Amtrak's food service situation is so bad that a nearly-captive audience seriously considers the alternatives of bringing their own food and not eating. Honestly, it wouldn't take much improvement to get back to the point where nearly everyone eats the Amtrak food.

People, on average, don't like starving or involuntary diets. They would *prefer* decent food but will eat indecent food if the alternative is not eating anything.

People, on average, also don't like trying to carry multiple days' meals with them on the train. Consider the questions about number of meals to be a question about how much they have to pack.

It's not funny at all, except in a really black-humor kind of way. It's disgraceful that Amtrak's food service situation is so bad that a nearly-captive audience seriously considers the alternatives of bringing their own food and not eating. Honestly, it wouldn't take much improvement to get back to the point where nearly everyone eats the Amtrak food.
Once again, I was only pointing out while many people complain about Amtrak food, other people can't seem to get enough of it (as long as it's for "free.") But, I forgot, you're an expert on everything.

Back