Ice Cream Replaced With Warm Date Pudding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, Haage-Dazs was overrated, if you can believe Consumer Reports in an article some years ago. The winner for them was--

Howard Johnsons. :wacko:

Apparently, Haage-Dazs was overrated, if you can believe Consumer Reports in an article some years ago. The winner for them was--

Howard Johnsons? That must be a pretty old article.
As of 2014 Consumer Reports had this to say...

Among vanillas, Ben & Jerry’s and Häagen-Dazs are the clear winners: dense and creamy, with intense dairy flavor and complex, high-quality vanilla flavor.
Good luck to anyone trying to find a reputable reviewer who praises Blue Bunny's artificially flavored frozen dessert balls.

I had the date pudding last October on the Builder and it was my favorite desert where the cheese cake been my go to in recents years.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1481256441.169505.jpg

Not sure if it is the same one, but I found that they sold this at Walmart as well.
Pet food dept? :giggle:
It actually looks quite good in Jay's picture, like a traditional British pudding.

I think the lack of familiarity is what's throwing people. "Pudding" means different things in England and America.

If you've ever had bread pudding, it's quite similar. It's meant to be a dense, moist cake with sauce, not a milk-based pudding or custard.

Not sure if it is the same one, but I found that they sold this at Walmart as well.
It actually looks quite good in Jay's picture, like a traditional British pudding.

I think the lack of familiarity is what's throwing people. "Pudding" means different things in England and America.

If you've ever had bread pudding, it's quite similar. It's meant to be a dense, moist cake with sauce, not a milk-based pudding or custard.
"Oh, bring us a figgy pudding"

With all the major issues facing Amtrak, discussions regarding the lack of ice cream and the quality of desserts should be way down the list of priorities! I doubt if the new CEO has that on his top ten list!
On the contrary, good customer service should absolutely be near the top of Amtrak's priorities, and onboard food service which meets or exceeds expectations is a major part of that. Passengers, on a train for hours at least, want and should expect quality, appealing, and reasonably priced food and beverages.

And don't tell me a good dessert - especially a dish of ice cream - won't help most any problem (late trains, etc.)!

Mayfield ice cream please. Maybe Blue Bunny.

I can imagine passengers sending the "date pudding" back, telling the server they didn't order the cake.....

A variety of desserts is nice, but given the clientele and service environment, I'd simplify the options (a 'standard' cheesecake, ice cream in a dish, chocolate cake, etc.).

I suppose a few months from now there'll be a thread titled "Warm Date Pudding Replaced With Ice Cream?".

I think they should have re-named it to something more American friendly like "warm date cake" or "warm date bread pudding" instead of the pudding. The pudding part will probably confuse a lot of riders who don't know the difference between American pudding and British pudding.

I think they should have re-named it to something more American friendly like "warm date cake" or "warm date bread pudding" instead of the pudding. The pudding part will probably confuse a lot of riders who don't know the difference between American pudding and British pudding.
Maybe Amtrak could create a cuisine or theme, and offer yorkshire pudding as an entrée side too.

I don't care for dates and had no plans to order this new dessert until a lunch mate made me taste his. It was delectable!

I would like to have that recipe or any recipe for date pudding. For some reason, warm date pudding sounds like an old fashion English Christmas to me.

I would like to have that recipe or any recipe for date pudding. For some reason, warm date pudding sounds like an old fashion English Christmas to me.

Google will find you many. Expand your search to "Figgy pudding" and "Plum pudding".

At one time Date Nut Bread was a regional favorite, similar to this offering but a bit drier and less sweet. Often served with cream cheese (think Chock Full'O Nuts Stores) Thomas's discontinued, Neuman's still sells, but bake/make your own is best option.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/sticky-toffee-pudding/

This is the recipe I use
But is that the recipe that Amtrak uses?

I still remember a few years back, Amtrak was offering Bob Evans Breakfast Bake on their diner menus. It was absolutely not even close to what Bob Evans serves in their restaurants. So, I have learned, that Amtrak likes to call things something which they ain't.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/sticky-toffee-pudding/

This is the recipe I use
But is that the recipe that Amtrak uses?

I still remember a few years back, Amtrak was offering Bob Evans Breakfast Bake on their diner menus. It was absolutely not even close to what Bob Evans serves in their restaurants. So, I have learned, that Amtrak likes to call things something which they ain't.
Be 100% certain the Amtrak product is a commercially available product. The LSA or Server would probably tell or even give you the packaging if you ask.

Back