Hudson River Ditching

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'd agree that there is little that air traffic control can do to stop the plane from ditching, the pilot and/or co-pilot must still call in their distress for several reasons. One, simply because that is the rule. Two, at least ATC can call the police to let them know something is happening. Three, they need to clear the airspace. While it's doubtful that there would have been any other large planes in the way, there could have been some small planes as well as helicopters flying over the river. Last thing in the world he would have needed to do is start dodging helicopters.
Didn't they ban flights along the river after that baseball player hit a building?
Cory Lidle died flying over the East River, not the Hudson River. And the issue there is how much space there is for making a U-turn; I think a helicoper would be able to make a much tighter turn, and so there wouldn't be much reason to ban helicoper flying as a result of a Cirrus airplane crashing.

The point made about the fuel keeping the plane afloat. Had not thought about it and none of the comentators apeared to have either, but Yes! jet fuel is ligher than water, so it will help the plane stay up, as even if it leaks, it would do it slower than air.
Maybe I'm not such a big idiot sometimes after all.
But, if the tank is empty and full of air, that is lighter still. I would think an sealed, empty fuel tank is more buoyant than a tank full of jet fuel.

While I'd agree that there is little that air traffic control can do to stop the plane from ditching, the pilot and/or co-pilot must still call in their distress for several reasons. One, simply because that is the rule. Two, at least ATC can call the police to let them know something is happening. Three, they need to clear the airspace. While it's doubtful that there would have been any other large planes in the way, there could have been some small planes as well as helicopters flying over the river. Last thing in the world he would have needed to do is start dodging helicopters.
Do we know what class or classes of airspace the airplane flew through between the time the engines quit running and the time the plane hit the water?

There is certainly airspace over parts of the US where there is no legal requirement to be paying any attention to the radio. There are airplanes (mostly many, many decades old) that not only have no radio, but don't even have an electrical system. I have also talked to someone who has flown an airplane with no working radio into an airport in controlled airspace by calling the controllers on a telephone prior to taking off to make arrangements.

(That said, new battery powered handheld aircraft band radios don't cost more than the cost of a few hours of flying the smallest airplanes, and so any pilot who wants a radio can have one.)

There's also the possibility that a plane can have its radio fail in the middle of a flight. Unlike a train or an automobile, simply stopping for an indefinite period of time and then figuring out what to do isn't really an option in an airplane.

This article, written by a (now retired) controller seems to say that a pilot isn't actually required to contact the air traffic controllers, but ``should''.

Via a commenter at another blog (who I can't find now), you can watch a graphical replay of the takeoff and ditching here. You should use replay mode and set the clock for Jan 15 15:26. You'll see a small plane or helicopter flying up river that has to get out of the way.

I just saw 2 surveillance camera videos of the water landing on the news.

Found a link

ditching

Looks good to me! (I'm only good at ditching motorcycles).

Last edited by a moderator:
As for experience landing a float plane vs. a water ditching of a non-float plane, I would think this landing was more similar to a normal runway landing than a float plane one, even slow decent, flare, wings level. What was crucial in this case was the wings being level. Otherwise the plane would have twisted and possibly rolled - similar to the Ethiopian hijacking crash of a 767 caught on tape.
This article argues that one of the reasons not to make a 180 degree turn if the engine quits on a single engine plane during takeoff at an altitude where you could make the runway, but only if you do everything absolutely perfectly, is that most pilots just aren't used to what they see out the window when making such turns at low altitude. If that's a real issue, then I would think that the what a pilot sees out the window for a water landing vs a runway landing would also be an issue.

I'm also wondering how much intelligence Airbus put into their fly-by-wire system. It's certainly possible for the programmer of such a system to decide that they're smarter than the pilot. And there's some experience with how the space shuttle landings are handled (I think at some point there was a software change that took control of braking away from the pilot) suggests that it really is possible for a careful programming team to do a better job than the average pilot. My understanding is that an Airbus typically knows its coordinates (via GPS or other navigation), and it strikes me as possible that the airplane may use that with a database to know that it's making a water landing.

Here's a good video from a Coast guard camera. The splash comes from the left after the 2 minute mark. Then the camera zooms in a few moments later and the passengers are already exiting to the wings. Then pans to the 1st rescue ferry. The ferry captain does a good job engaging with the plane, matching drift down the river instead of bashing into the plane. Great stuff.

CG video

Here's a good video from a Coast guard camera. The splash comes from the left after the 2 minute mark. Then the camera zooms in a few moments later and the passengers are already exiting to the wings. Then pans to the 1st rescue ferry. The ferry captain does a good job engaging with the plane, matching drift down the river instead of bashing into the plane. Great stuff.

CG video
Sensational video! If you have to ditch, the Hudson River is the place to do it.

I'm also wondering how much intelligence Airbus put into their fly-by-wire system. It's certainly possible for the programmer of such a system to decide that they're smarter than the pilot. And there's some experience with how the space shuttle landings are handled (I think at some point there was a software change that took control of braking away from the pilot) suggests that it really is possible for a careful programming team to do a better job than the average pilot. My understanding is that an Airbus typically knows its coordinates (via GPS or other navigation), and it strikes me as possible that the airplane may use that with a database to know that it's making a water landing.
I think you're way overestimating Airbus's fly-by-wire systems. They don't know whether the plane is coming in for a landing, at cruise, ditching in the ocean, or sitting still, and they're certainly not tied to the GPS system. They respond solely to the pilot's input (except in the case of the autopilot, which controls the flight controls in the exact same way that a Boeing aircraft using hydraulics does).

The only difference is that the Airbus controls are limited by what are referred to as "flight laws," which are limits to what a given control input will affect the actual flight controls. Some pilots prefer the knowledge that they can push the envelope a bit to get themselves out of a sticky situation even though it might damage the aircraft or result in a stall, while others like knowing that they can just yank the stick as far back as they can and not worry about stalling out. For more on this, see this post (as well as aluminumdriver's post two below that and the four below his) on Flyertalk. Also see this post for the same pilot's views on the original fly-by-cable aircraft versus the newer ones... :)

HERE is a very good story on the flight crew, especially the captain.
I'm curious what experience the pilot may have had with intentional water landings in the past, if any. There are certainly differences between landing a single engine floatplane and an Airbus glider on the water, but at the same time, I'd imagine that if he was qualified to land float planes on the water, that would have helped his chances with this landing.
None, unless he's flown a sea plane. The media has been saying how pilots practice ditching in the water in simulators. Haha, that never happens. I've never practiced ditching into the water.

I'm not aware of any jet airplane used in commercial passenger service that has the control surfaces connected to the pilot's controls by mechanical cables. While the typical four seat airplane does have mechanical cables that I believe have certain similarities to the brake and gear shift cables on a bicycle, the typical jet in the pre-fly-by-wire days used hydraulics for the control surfaces.
And you're right about that. But this is where there is a big difference between Boeing and Airbus. Boeing aircraft do have mechanical wires hooked up to the control yoke and then goes back to the hydraulic actuators to move the surface. Coining the term mechanically controlled, hydraulically actuated. Airbus is totally fly by wire. I guess it depends on your preference. The CRJ also has wires connected to the actuators. I like this because it gives the pilot a "feel" of the controls.

To questions earlier about the APU and the RAT. Yes the APU is that annoying loud engine type sound you here on the ground. It has a generator and provide cabin air while parked on the ground. Usually it is shut off after take off. Not sure if they did shut it down, but it would have provided sufficient electrical power and the RAT would not deploy. If it was already turned off, then the RAT deployed. Although there is a lever to pull to deploy the RAT, it is suppose to deploy automatically when you have a total loss of electrical power. It will power the battery and some of the hydraulics to have control.

To questions earlier about the APU and the RAT. Yes the APU is that annoying loud engine type sound you here on the ground. It has a generator and provide cabin air while parked on the ground. Usually it is shut off after take off. Not sure if they did shut it down, but it would have provided sufficient electrical power and the RAT would not deploy. If it was already turned off, then the RAT deployed. Although there is a lever to pull to deploy the RAT, it is suppose to deploy automatically when you have a total loss of electrical power. It will power the battery and some of the hydraulics to have control.
Hey saxman, thanks for that info. I'd always kind of assumed that the APU was shut down once the main engines were cranked up, as opposed to waiting until after takeoff.

So I have a question: Why is the APU kept running until after takeoff? A safety thing?

Pardon my ignorance. My direct experience is limited to A-4, A-6, and A-7 attack jets from the 1970s (no APUs), and I know next to nothing about airliners.

Hey saxman, thanks for that info. I'd always kind of assumed that the APU was shut down once the main engines were cranked up, as opposed to waiting until after takeoff.

So I have a question: Why is the APU kept running until after takeoff? A safety thing?

Pardon my ignorance. My direct experience is limited to A-4, A-6, and A-7 attack jets from the 1970s (no APUs), and I know next to nothing about airliners.
Well you certainly don't have to takeoff with the APU on. Sometimes it doesn't even work. But when you leave it on you can get more performance from the engines. Normally the engines provide bleed air for pressurization, heating and cooling, and wing anti-ice. There is a small power penalty when you have these systems running. Since the APU also provides air for heating and cooling of the cabin, it is just left on so we can have more power for takeoff. After that, the bleeds are just switched to the engine and the APU shut down. Now when I say less power, I'm only talking about a small maybe not even half percent of a thrust setting. You'll be glad to know that even before a airplane is even certified to fly, it can lose an engine at takeoff (the worst possible moment) and still climb out on one engine and miss all obstacles and reach a height of at least 1500' above the airport. You may have tried to get on flights that are "overweight" and can't take a full plane of passengers. This may be because there is bad weather and you have to have the anti-ice on which takes a thrust penalty, which in turn makes a weight penalty. Its not that two engines can't do the job. It's if you lose an engine you'll still be able to climb out safely, even in bad weather. This is very common on the MD-80 or my own CRJ taking off out of LGA on a snowy day.

Hope you understood that. I may have confused you more than I helped. :)

You may have tried to get on flights that are "overweight" and can't take a full plane of passengers.
Dude, not confusing at all, and thanks "Chris 3!" :D

Never had to deal with an overweight plane, but once at Tampa a flight attendant asked for volunteers to move to seats in the back for weight distribution. An AirTran 737. Never heard of THAT before, and it wasn't anywhere near a full flight - though everybody was concentrated up front. Me and the girlfriend raised our hands and moved immediately - better seats anyway - and set the example for others. Thought it kinda weird that passenger weight - with so few aboard - was deemed so critical that people were asked to move.

You may have tried to get on flights that are "overweight" and can't take a full plane of passengers.
Dude, not confusing at all, and thanks "Chris 3!" :D

Never had to deal with an overweight plane, but once at Tampa a flight attendant asked for volunteers to move to seats in the back for weight distribution. An AirTran 737. Never heard of THAT before, and it wasn't anywhere near a full flight - though everybody was concentrated up front. Me and the girlfriend raised our hands and moved immediately - better seats anyway - and set the example for others. Thought it kinda weird that passenger weight - with so few aboard - was deemed so critical that people were asked to move.
Many years ago I was on a puddle jumper from LAX to Visalia. Three of us on the flight and they asked each one of us our weight and told us where to sit accordingly. And, they put a couple of 75lb sandbags in a couple of the other seats.

And you're right about that. But this is where there is a big difference between Boeing and Airbus. Boeing aircraft do have mechanical wires hooked up to the control yoke and then goes back to the hydraulic actuators to move the surface. Coining the term mechanically controlled, hydraulically actuated. Airbus is totally fly by wire. I guess it depends on your preference. The CRJ also has wires connected to the actuators. I like this because it gives the pilot a "feel" of the controls.
But I thought the 777 and perhaps a few of the other newer Boeings were fly-by-wire, too.

Many years ago I was on a puddle jumper from LAX to Visalia. Three of us on the flight and they asked each one of us our weight and told us where to sit accordingly. And, they put a couple of 75lb sandbags in a couple of the other seats.
Actually, it's pretty common on smaller aircraft (RJs, turboprops, etc.), since the passengers' weight and balance is a relatively larger component of the total aircraft's weight and balance. It's much rarer on larger aircraft (like Whooz's 737 experience).

But I thought the 777 and perhaps a few of the other newer Boeings were fly-by-wire, too.
Yeah you're right. I don't know every airplane. But the 777 still does have a control yoke hooked up to wires which go to the computer system. This is vs the side stick the "Airbii" have

On a helicopter tour in Hawaii that I went on, they had each passenger move up to a mat on the floor to check in.

I noticed, but I don't think everyone did, that we were being weighed on a floor scale.

On little aircraft weight really matters, but I'm surprised that it could be such a difference on a 737.

Back