How Much to Tip on Overnight Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When i see them put there hand out when u first board

i get a hot cup of coffee and put it in there hand and say drink this,

it will warm your hand

I've put my granddaughter in charge of tipping since our first trip when she was 7. Since most of our trips are multi-day coast-to-coast trips there is a pattern. She tips the SCA in the same way her waiter in the diner is tipped--when service is rendered. Each morning before we leave our room to go to breakfast, she leaves a tip for that day on her pillow. (She is usually rewarded with a gift of Amtrak chocolate or a packet of Amtrak postcards on her bed that evening when the SCA does the bed turndown). Upon arriving at our destination, she hands the attendent an additional tip commensurate with the level of service.

I don't see that as a bribe, but as an acknowlegement that ongoing good service has been noticed and appreciated.

I've put my granddaughter in charge of tipping since our first trip when she was 7. Since most of our trips are multi-day coast-to-coast trips there is a pattern. She tips the SCA in the same way her waiter in the diner is tipped--when service is rendered. Each morning before we leave our room to go to breakfast, she leaves a tip for that day on her pillow. (She is usually rewarded with a gift of Amtrak chocolate or a packet of Amtrak postcards on her bed that evening when the SCA does the bed turndown). Upon arriving at our destination, she hands the attendent an additional tip commensurate with the level of service.

I don't see that as a bribe, but as an acknowlegement that ongoing good service has been noticed and appreciated.
Leaving a tip at the end of each day (or the next morning) wouldn't be bribery because you're tipping for service rendered. The people who "tip" before any service rendered can look like bribing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back