How Much to Tip on Overnight Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, I end up tipping $5-10/meal ($5BL, $10D) and around $10/night for my SCA.

However, this owes a lot to the fact that I've gotten to know the diner crews on the Silvers rather well (I was asked if I wanted "my usual" at dinner about six weeks ago)...it's wound up being a bit like going to one of the bars near my old college...the cook knows me and knew my parents, and that encourages the tips to go up a bit.

This might be heresy to some, but I usually tip $20 per trip but I give them the money at the beginning. The obvious risk is that they take the money and run. I always receive good service this way. I have seen other Sleeping Car neighbors get less than first class treatment compared to me, most likely because most SCAs feel like they owe you just a little bit more and frankly some SCAs were flat out rude to others and I believe the early tip was the only thing between a bad SCA and a decent one.
That does not sound like heresy. Nor does it sound like a voluntary gratuity. What that sounds like is closer to a mild form of extortion. Why would you risk rewarding people you see treating other passengers with disdain? No wonder it's so hard to get any of this fixed. Those of us who want to see things improve are not only up against the bad apples among the staff, we're also having to work against the participation of other passengers who simply look the other way after rewarding those who help perpetuate the problem.

If I have an SCA who is nice to me but treats my fellow passengers poorly I'm still not going to tip them because that would be sending the wrong message. On more than one occasion I've simply taken whatever tip I had set aside for the SCA and given it to whoever helped me the most on my trip, including if that person was a server or coach attendant or counter clerk or baggage handler or whatever.

The only people I never try to tip are the conductor and the engineer and I've seen them refuse tips in the past. Everyone else has a chance to win me over if they should be so inclined. Or they can simply rely on their usual paycheck. Apparently those paychecks are more than enough for many of the SCA's I run into on the Sunset Limited. Which is so named because it's where retiring staff go to spend the last of their cranky do-nothing years before riding off into the sunset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably get hit for this but why tip an union employee making good wadge. I know they work hard but so does most workers in this country. If they made minimum wadge, yes.

Because they are doing something nice for me (bringing me food, setting up my room). Doesn't much matter to me if they are union or not or how much they make.

But that's a personal decision, and you can tip what you like. I just gave my first $20 tip for just me and a single night because my server on the LSL was that awesome.

I've given $25 (a roll of dollar coins) before for superb service, but last time on the Southwest Chief I gave $10 for average service. Actually for truly superb service I file a commendation on the web site. The money helps (I know some SCAs plow it back into freshening up the bathroom, books to read, non-Amtrak treats, etc) but the management recognition is more useful.

To me, a tip is a "thank you" for good service. It has very little to do with how much that person makes and everything to do with appreciation. My stylist probably makes the same wage I do, but I tip her because she's really talented and prevents me from looking like a frizzed-out yeti with a uni-brow. For that, she gets 20%.

Sleeper car attendants probably make a good wage (I honestly don't know how much they are paid), but they are away from their families for six days at a stretch in some cases, only get a few hours of sleep each night, and work very, very hard when they're awake. They're a concierge and housekeeper all at the same time. I appreciate that, and I show that with a genuine "thank you", a tip, and a letter to their supervisor if they're exceptional.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to tip if they don't want to, but those are my reasons for tipping.

Journey not Destination, on 20 Jul 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:
Being a new employee training on 4 of the long distance lines, I want to add a point of which I have become (painfully) aware. The Lake Shore Limited -- while only an overnighter one-way -- requires the same amount of work from a sleeper attendant but in a much shortened period of time. For example, we we roll into Boston we have to ensure that all of the beds are made for the return trip the next morning before we can leave the car. We have already make the beds before we boarded our guests in Chicago.

As folks detrain on the return trip, we make the beds in the middle of the night, but want to ensure there is little disturbance to the passengers in the adjoining cars. If we have passengers boarding and detraining throughout the night, there is little time for necessary rest and frankly, by the time we roll into South Bend some of my muscles are giving way due to the heft of the upper bunks.

When I worked on the longer distance trains, i.e. the Texas Eagle, people would often keep the same room for the entire trip. In some ways it was easier physically, as the beds are freshly made but the sheets are not necessarily changed. The position of service attendant in the sleeper is not easy, and the very best work hard to ensure that you, our Amtrak guests, are valued. When the tasks are done, the best attendants' skills of finesse, insight, and anticipation of our guests' needs jump to the forefront. The hidden skills of constant vigilance to passengers' safety are not seen but are as important as attending to customers' comfort preferences. The whole package that comprises a great service attendant makes this one honorable and responsible position. We glady do so, and monetary appreciation surely will help over the years to avoid becoming jaded and cynical.
Very useful information - especially since I'm about to ride the Lakeshore from Boston to Chicago. I will definitely tip accordingly. Thanks.

It is a disgrace that the service from SCAs is so inconsistent that sometimes they are not worthy of a tip. My last trip, the attendant was almost absent and seemingly under the influence of something. About 75 percent of time they are great, but no hotel or restaurant would tolerate this.

I've given $25 (a roll of dollar coins) before for superb service, but last time on the Southwest Chief I gave $10 for average service. Actually for truly superb service I file a commendation on the web site. The money helps (I know some SCAs plow it back into freshening up the bathroom, books to read, non-Amtrak treats, etc) but the management recognition is more useful.
I've (shame on me) detrained from the EB with a $20 tip prepared in my pocket for exceptional service - and forgot to give the money to the SCA. :unsure: - Tired out after long trip.

The commendation to the web site seems to work, at least I get an email that they forward the thanks to the supervisor.

But, for exceptionally good service, I want to do both -- cash to the employee, and a thanks to Amtrak, citing good service.

In the rare case of really bad or no service -- no tip, and a complaint.

I typically tip the SCA between $5 - $15 per person per night. It greatly depends on how attentive they are, how clean the room or roomette is, if they keep the ice and juice stocked and if I asked them to bring me food or do any special tasks.

I have always had exceptional service on Amtrak so have always ended up giving a little extra too.

Most of you will not like my tipping advice because i come from a nightclub background. The guy at the bar who is throwing $10 out of the gate is going to get way better service (and drinks) than the

guy dropping $1 out of the gate.

Same strategy for Amtrak. Tip up front, right away. Not at the end.

I take 2 super trips a year...super trip defined as 80-100 hours nonstop over multiple zones.

I tip my SCA $20 upon meeting, another $20 later if service is excellent. First trip to the diner I probably do 30-35%.

Most of my trips are on points....I pay nothing, I would rather gamble a minimal amount of $ at the start of the trip to ensure my service will be great

If I am paying my ticket would probably be in the $1200 range so a 2% upfront tip gamble well with it.

I know the old-timers say tip at the end only if good service.... but i have gotten so much good stuff tipping early....posters, extra deserts, photo ops

late night diner access, extra sodas, towels and ice brought to my room, sac alerting me of a good stop to go out and take pics. Tip early, tip hard....its your trip

If you get a bad sca and bad diner crew your service is going to suck the whole way....see what a magical $20 upfront does to everyone you might be amazed.

make the best of it.

I'm doing an overnighter (from 5 pm to about 9 am) on the SWC ABQ-L.A. (and then on to San Diego), so $20 upfront when I board seems excessive.

If a sca gives me a hand up when boarding and shows me my lower level roomette I would probably give him $5.

I'd follow up with another $5 for each meal (dinner & breakfast) brought to my roomette.

The tip in L.A. when getting off the SWC will depend upon how the service was during the trip....$10-$20.

But then I'm retired on Social Security and, while I believe in tipping for good service, I also need watch my pennies.

Tipping in advance = bribery.
Is there something wrong with that?
Yes. On so many levels. Amtrak employees aren't minimum wage flunkies, they're reasonably well-compensated for their positions, so if someone's work ethic is directly proportional to the level of palm-greasing, perhaps he belongs in a different line of work. I pay good money for my Amtrak trips, I expect a level of service commensurate with the fares & not having to lay bribes to get what I've already paid for.

Most of you will not like my tipping advice because i come from a nightclub background. The guy at the bar who is throwing $10 out of the gate is going to get way better service (and drinks) than the

guy dropping $1 out of the gate.

Same strategy for Amtrak. Tip up front, right away. Not at the end.

I take 2 super trips a year...super trip defined as 80-100 hours nonstop over multiple zones.

I tip my SCA $20 upon meeting, another $20 later if service is excellent. First trip to the diner I probably do 30-35%.

Most of my trips are on points....I pay nothing, I would rather gamble a minimal amount of $ at the start of the trip to ensure my service will be great

If I am paying my ticket would probably be in the $1200 range so a 2% upfront tip gamble well with it.

I know the old-timers say tip at the end only if good service.... but i have gotten so much good stuff tipping early....posters, extra deserts, photo ops

late night diner access, extra sodas, towels and ice brought to my room, sac alerting me of a good stop to go out and take pics. Tip early, tip hard....its your trip

If you get a bad sca and bad diner crew your service is going to suck the whole way....see what a magical $20 upfront does to everyone you might be amazed.

make the best of it.
Yup follow this practice quite a bit and seems to work very well. When one has too deal with so many people, the one that tipped will always stick out more than the one that has not. I tip all the time on the Surfliner, most like 99% don't. Guess who is taken care of and who gets the rules and policy read to them.

Yes. On so many levels. Amtrak employees aren't minimum wage flunkies, they're reasonably well-compensated for their positions, so if someone's work ethic is directly proportional to the level of palm-greasing, perhaps he belongs in a different line of work. I pay good money for my Amtrak trips, I expect a level of service commensurate with the fares & not having to lay bribes to get what I've already paid for.
Bribes seem to work extremely well in industries that allow bribes (tips). Its the grease that keeps the gears and cogs of the service industry going.

Most of you will not like my tipping advice because i come from a nightclub background. The guy at the bar who is throwing $10 out of the gate is going to get way better service (and drinks) than the guy dropping $1 out of the gate. Same strategy for Amtrak. Tip up front, right away. Not at the end. I take 2 super trips a year...super trip defined as 80-100 hours nonstop over multiple zones. I tip my SCA $20 upon meeting, another $20 later if service is excellent. First trip to the diner I probably do 30-35%.
I can improve the quality and double my content by tipping large at a bar. Who is going to double my pour with a higher brand on Amtrak? A bribe at a restaurant can buy a faster service, a nicer location, and off-menu meals. Where is Amtrak going to sit me that's better than any other table? Do they have enough supplies to make off-menu meals worth the trouble? A bribe at a hotel can buy better service and a much nicer room. Who can I bribe into giving me a nicer compartment? If I'm going to expend the time and effort of bribing someone I'd want to see more than an extra soda or an second ice cream cup.

I don't mind tipping on Amtrak because that's how I was raised. What I cannot stand is when the staff make a point of overtly mentioning tips before you offer it. Nothing turns me off tipping faster than being reminded to tip. Chances are good I'll leave a nice tip for even basic service but if you make a point of asking for it or assume my change is yours before I can say so then I'll be happy to keep it. I'm not sure when that cultural shift changed or why but I won't be changing with it.

But you'd be happy to tip afterward? What's the difference? Or are you saying that you'd stiff your sleeping car attendant?

I'm a well-off middle-aged guy, so now I'm probably seen as a probable good tipper. Once upon a time I was younger, thinner, and poorer. I probably wasn't seen as a good tipper. I probably more often tipped in advance then. My goal, then and now, is to get good service, and I've few hang-ups about when and how to pay. I'll admit, though, that like Devil's Advocate I'm not fond of beggers. That's an esthetic issue, though, not some sort of moral high ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back