how about upgrading roomette --> bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why we always say around here to book early, since the fares can only go up!
That's what I thought too, and I booked on that principle. I could leave on either Saturday or Sunday, and the fare for Saturday was $316 and for Sunday was $243 (FAR->SEA in early August). The return trips were also $243. I booked the Sunday departure since it was so much cheaper, but then a couple days later I checked again and Saturday was down to $243 also! So I quick cancelled my first one and re-booked for Saturday to give myself an extra day. Now it's back to $316 for Saturday. I can only assume it's hovering around the bucket tipping point and a couple people cancelled, but still it should be said that it's possible for prices to go down.

That's why we always say around here to book early, since the fares can only go up!
That's what I thought too, and I booked on that principle. I could leave on either Saturday or Sunday, and the fare for Saturday was $316 and for Sunday was $243 (FAR->SEA in early August). The return trips were also $243. I booked the Sunday departure since it was so much cheaper, but then a couple days later I checked again and Saturday was down to $243 also! So I quick cancelled my first one and re-booked for Saturday to give myself an extra day. Now it's back to $316 for Saturday. I can only assume it's hovering around the bucket tipping point and a couple people cancelled, but still it should be said that it's possible for prices to go down.
Yes, possible but extremely rare...you did just catch it at the perfect time! However, your booking illustrates the best thing--because Amtrak tickets are [nearly] always refundable, you can always cancel and rebook with no penalty!

(Actually, it wasn't tipping between the buckets--when someone cancels a reservation, whatever fare bucket they booked goes back into sellable inventory. So if tickets are currently selling for bucket #3 but someone who booked at low bucket (#1) cancels two seats, then two seats will be sold at the #1 price. After those two sell, then the following seats are sold at bucket #3.)

I think the system updates pretty quickly. On my recent trip on the CS, a passenger was supposed to get on in Emeryville, & didn't show. By the next stop (Oakland), it was reported as available. Someone had it booked by Salinas, just two stops later. So, it's not just onboard upgrades - if someone moves from a roomette to a bedroom, the roomette could easily be sold to someone who hasn't gotten on the train yet.

Your post is over a year old, but still INVALUABLE info for me. I guess I "knew that" about paying the low bucket coach, if you booked sleepers, but had TOTALLY forgot it. THANKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back