Crescent discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomasville is Virtual Railfans members only.
View attachment 36425
I can't speak for the link you provided but the link here works fine and is free. The video windows do mention Virtual Railfan but the railcam can be viewed in real time and in full screen if you want to focus on one view or the other. Maybe the Thomasville CVB has a deal with Virtual Railfan. Regardless of why or how, the link works to view the railcam.

https://visitthomasvillenc.com/train-camera

I’ll be on the Crescent this June 9th. Does the train have its dining car back? Anything I should know about dining (or anything else) on the crescent?

I’m alighting at Gainesville GA. With a little research, it seems to be an average (crappy) car dependent town, but has anyone had luck with food (preferably cafes) within walking distance of the station? I will have a few hours to kill before my ride gets me.

I’ll be on the Crescent this June 9th. Does the train have its dining car back? Anything I should know about dining (or anything else) on the crescent?

I’m alighting at Gainesville GA. With a little research, it seems to be an average (crappy) car dependent town, but has anyone had luck with food (preferably cafes) within walking distance of the station? I will have a few hours to kill before my ride gets me.
No dining car back as of last weekend and I don't think June 9 will be the case either, but I have heard of summer as a rumor on this board.

I did a search on Google Maps. I noticed what I assume is a micro brewery a few blocks away, a Mexican place and everyone's favorite from my hometown of Greensboro, a Cookout fast food. I spent about 2 minutes on this so likely missed some other food options. Cookout is a 20 min walk. I also noticed a grill nearby. I suggest an internet search if no one local pipes up.

No dining car back as of last weekend and I don't think June 9 will be the case either, but I have heard of summer as a rumor on this board.
I don't think anything will happen before June. But of course we'll see whenever it happens.

I have two segments on the Crescent in late June and 1 July. I assume summer for Crescent dinner is 2 July. :)
You'll likely get Flex+ as is now being served on the LSL in a real Diner by then. At least that appears to be likely at present. But with these things you never know until the proverbial fat lady sings.

You'll likely get Flex+ as is now being served on the LSL in a real Diner by then. At least that appears to be likely at present. But with these things you never know until the proverbial fat lady sings.
I'll take that over having to stay in a private room. That is a nice option for some but I do like to sit in the dinner and talk to a stranger.

I'll take that over having to stay in a private room. That is a nice option for some but I do like to sit in the dinner and talk to a stranger.
Yes, I go to the Diner for at least one or two meals specially if it is not so crowded or the LSA is not deranged enough to stuff 4 people in a table leaving the other 9 tables unoccupied. ;)

Yes, I go to the Diner for at least one or two meals specially if it is not so crowded or the LSA is not deranged enough to stuff 4 people in a table leaving the other 9 tables unoccupied. ;)
I'll take 4 to a table just to have a conversation actually. I can eat plenty of meals with just my wife. Travel is special enough to treat it special.

I'll take 4 to a table just to have a conversation actually. I can eat plenty of meals with just my wife. Travel is special enough to treat it special.
I agree. I prefer others at the table. I have met some exceptional people from all over the world. And some interesting conversations. Even sat with a celeb or two over the years. Same with sharing a table in the lounge car. To me that is one of the perks travel by train. People rarely talk on an airplane.

I agree. I prefer others at the table. I have met some exceptional people from all over the world. And some interesting conversations. Even sat with a celeb or two over the years. Same with sharing a table in the lounge car. To me that is one of the perks travel by train. People rarely talk on an airplane.
I regret I can only like this once time. There needs to be a Super-Duper Like.

So my daughter has finally talked me into getting on plane to NJ in August and I’m terrified but was thinking maybe take Crescent back home to NO in a sleeper- why is it over 1100 dollars. Ridiculous and with Flex, old trains- what’s the deal with that- Crazy!!! also what is the price tracker site for deals on Amtrak.Thanks in advance. When the food was good- I didn’t mind but for food that taste like it’s out the 7-11 store!!!!

So my daughter has finally talked me into getting on plane to NJ in August and I’m terrified but was thinking maybe take Crescent back home to NO in a sleeper- why is it over 1100 dollars. Ridiculous and with Flex, old trains- what’s the deal with that- Crazy!!! also what is the price tracker site for deals on Amtrak.Thanks in advance. When the food was good- I didn’t mind but for food that taste like it’s out the 7-11 store!!!!
https://railforless.us/

Roomettes in August from Newark to NOL are between $500 and $600, not $1100. Perhaps you looked at a date when all Roomettes are sold out, so you were presented with the fare for a Bedroom.

June is the beginning of the last financial quarter. Amtrak gets the federal support disbursed to it on a quarterly basis AFAIR after it has met all the documentation and reporting requirements placed on it by the various acts under which the funding is appropriated. So quite often new cost items are added on quarter boundaries. So it was just a wild guess based on simple minded thought process. I had just made the simple assumption that the funding for it is from the new disbursal and not from a previous quarter, like for instance the second TCMC service was.
I would think July-August-September would be the last quarter but regardless your thoughts make sense that they have to plan for quarterly expenses and funds from the government.

According to trains.com the dining car will be back on 19/20 beginning 6/1/2024. It will be flex meals. The article really is honest with Amtrak. I was surprised to read half of the lounge car is blocked off for crew usage. I seem to remember reading the same reports here awhile back. Here is the article:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...3ynqC__NoHF-Icd40mZvFauC6K79r7VGcCKyUkubAc1M8
I am of course glad a diner is back on trains 19/20–the CRESCENT from June 1. Even with Flex food this is good news! And of course it should be open to coach riders.

The LAKESHORE LIMITED apparently has been the test platform for the new version of the Flex menu to be served on 19&20, with meals served properly plated and at table. I would love to hear a report on this from a passenger on trains 48/49, the LAKESHORE LIMITED since the table cloths, flowers and plated Flex entrees arrived there.

VIA has long offered near gourmet meals on the OCEAN that are actually brought on board having been cooked at the caterers and heated to serving temperature on-board. These meals are plated on the train and served in the dining room on china with flair! They work because the menu is carefully constructed to offer food that can be reheated in convection ovens without loss of taste. Also veggies are not reheated on the same plate as the entrees. My tour clients from Rail Travel Center were amazed when I told them they had just eaten a pre-cooked meal.

The Viewliner II diners have the convection ovens that VIA uses and that Amtrak does sometimes (when the staff feels like it?). The test will be can Amtrak find Flex entree items that will allow them the same good fortune as VIA? Most restaurants today use many partially prepared meal items–so this is definitely not a new concept.

But Amtrak must also exercise crew discipline. The staffer in the kitchen must not be lazy and use the microwave to save time when convection reheating is called for in the instructions from the commissary. The reheating “recipes” for each menu item must be followed. And the passenger should never again see plastic wrap over his entree.

The crews also MUST NOT continue to lounge in seats intended for passengers.

This behavior haunts not only the CARDINAL, CAPITAL LIMITED and the CRESCENT but is particularly bad on the TEXAS EAGLE–where the crews routinely ban coach passengers from using any of the 18 seats in the lounge end of the Cross Country Grill diner-lounge.

My daughter/son in law encountered that on a trip last fall and other riders have confirmed the "buy your food and leave" mandate for coach riders. Even sleeping car passengers were being strongly urged to eat in their rooms. A “good day” on the EAGLE sees coach passengers allowed to use a max of two tables in the lounge end of the car, but only to immediately eat and then go back to their seats. No lingering/socializing allowed (except for the crew)! The lounge experience is intended for the riders–not the crew. Staff breaks are fine–but at most two tables should suffice.

Amtrak knows how to do decent food service of this type. It’s the model for the generally excellent ACELA First Class food service. Time will tell if the CRESCENT experience echoes the OCEAN or the TEXAS EAGLE. It will be fascinating to see how this evolves.

While I want the chefs back it is possible to prepare and present good Flex meals. And it absolutely is possible to insist that lounge seats be for the use of the passengers and not the "off time" relaxation of the crews.

There is one room left on the Crescent for 26 May. What is the over/under on my bid up being accepted?

I have a few lounge passes that are not being used in my area of the country so either way we are raiding the snacks at the lounge on arrival.
I'm on the Crescent from NOL to NYP on June 28. So having a diner is at least a lot better than eating my flex meals out of a bag in my roomette. And the presentation sounds like a nice improvement. Actually, if they would just serve a decent pre dinner salad with the plated flex meal it wouldn't be that bad. Especially if they let us use the diner in between meal periods as a sleeper lounge as was originally advertised. I'm also on the Lakeshore June 17 as I begin my trip so similar thoughts there. The SW Chief and Sunset Limited are the other trains on this cross country vacation with a few nights in LA and a few in New Orleans sprinkled in. Looking forward to the full service trains.

Back