Hostile Dining Car Attendants

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak doesn't have strong customer service because they don't need to. Like the airport, their competition is limited. If you want to ride the rails to a certain city, what choices do you really have? Same with flying. I'm from Chicago. American Airlines ONLY flies out of O'Hare. So I have had some uptight flight attendants and agents. Because they know if you say anything or try to get mad, YOU'RE the one security will come looking for.

It's ironic. I walk into a CVS all the time in my neighborhood and right away, 10 store people are asking how I am, can they get anything for me, etc. Sometimes it's useful. Usually it's annoying. You can tell its forced and that they're only doing it because I could easily just go to Walgreens down the street. Similar store, similar items, similar prices.

Not so with Amtrak. I tip my attendants, but sometimes you can tell they are in "auto" mode when going over the journey with you, or the dining car times. I also like having dinner served to my room because the Dining Car can be a hit or miss on service. I'd rather just tip my personal attendant and then I know I most likely will get the meal I asked for.

jasonmovieguy,

"I'm from Chicago. American Airlines ONLY flies out of O'Hare."

I am very sure that my most recent flight from ORD was on a United Airlines flight.

jasonmovieguy,

I am very sure that my most recent flight from ORD was on a United Airlines flight.
Precisely. Just as the same might be said, probably, if Jason were talking about American in re: DFW.... (where American's primary hub is based).... or ATL for Delta.

jasonmovieguy,

O'Hare has United as well. Midway doesnt. Sorry if that didn't come out the way it should have. Wasn't trying to confuse. Chicago has two airports. Midway and O'Hare. Only O'Hare has American. Not Midway.

Jason may have solved this discussion by having his statement of flying from Chi.-- interpreted 4 or 5 different ways. Same thing happens when trying to compare one LSA or dining car server with another. Of all the meals I've had in the dinning car, I can't remember one where I was treated bad. The same with the company at the table, never noticed anyone upset with the service. Looking back, a couple of servers would probably wished we would quit talking after a meal and leave the table, none ever made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe it's just, nothing gonna ruin my trip attitude. Dunno, but hey, if y'all want to make this forum the complaint dept, he my guest.

Jason is on to something and it has nothing to do with American Airlines or ORD.

It has to do with lack of customer service at Amtrak. His point--that companies can make customer service obligatory for their employees if they want to, and usually do so for competitive reasons.

The prime complaint against Amtrak is not so much bad customer service (sometimes it's good), but lack of consistency.

In my experience, I contrast this with Marriott, dozens of hotels in as many cities, and all of their brands. Completely consistent, high quality, friendly, capable service, with extreme problem-solving ability that can take care of virtually anything (one Marriott employee got me a dentist appointment in Budapest and another walked me to the office). Why? Because they are trained that way.

Amtrak--not so much.

Dunno, but hey, if y'all want to make this forum the complaint dept, he my guest.
This forum has periodically vacillated between the complaint department and the cheer leading squad for as long as I can remember. There are people in the middle of course, but if you're just so-so about a given topic there's less motivation to spend much time talking about it.

The prime complaint against Amtrak is not so much bad customer service (sometimes it's good), but lack of consistency.
Anyone who thinks Amtrak's main problem is consistency should consider booking their next trip with Airtran Airways or Spirit Airlines. You'll get all the consistency you can possibly stomach.

In my experience, I contrast this with Marriott, dozens of hotels in as many cities, and all of their brands. Completely consistent, high quality, friendly, capable service, with extreme problem-solving ability that can take care of virtually anything.
Marriott provides customer service that blows Amtrak out of the water, no doubt about that, but in my experience they are nowhere near as consistent as you're making them sound. Then again we're talking about a management group with nearly six thousand properties at this point. Both of us could stay at hundreds of Marriott managed hotels without sharing even one single location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason is on to something and it has nothing to do with American Airlines or ORD.

It has to do with lack of customer service at Amtrak. His point--that companies can make customer service obligatory for their employees if they want to, and usually do so for competitive reasons.

In my experience, I contrast this with Marriott, dozens of hotels in as many cities, and all of their brands. Completely consistent, high quality, friendly, capable service, with extreme problem-solving ability that can take care of virtually anything (one Marriott employee got me a dentist appointment in Budapest and another walked me to the office). Why? Because they are trained that way.

Amtrak--not so much.
Companies that provide great customer service stand out from the crowd in the middle or below. They are often rewarded with repeat business, by clientele influencing friends and relatives, and positive online reviews.

Why don't more companies understand this? Yes, it may sometimes necessitate extra staff to provide great service, but it comes back in a lot more business than those people cost them. Doesn't reputation count any longer?

Anyone who thinks Amtrak's main problem is consistency should consider booking their next trip with Airtran Airways
Airtran Airways, huh? Who will be providing the time machine?
default_wink.png

Airtran also carried the baggage of Valuejet with it. The holding company of Valuejet acquired Airtran and changed its name from Valuejet to Airtran, to try to dig itself out of the public relations nightmare that it faced after the infamous Valuejet crash. The fact though is that the surviving airline really was Airtran, and Airtran management failed to explain this to the public, hence the baggage lingered on.

Back