High-speed rail for NY to Canada?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This actually raises a serious secondary question: Has New York given any serious thought to making a single level car purchase? I'm not thinking just in relation to the Adirondack, but in general they seem to be the state most likely to put together a federal grant request for a set of single-level corridor cars (possibly along with PA).
New York has been busy living high off the hog by getting services for free that most other states are paying for.

They haven't even been thinking about buying cars; although that may change now that they have to fund the Empire Corridor. Or maybe not.

After all, up until this past year those in Albany seem to have believed that the costs of running the MTA haven't gone up in more than 10 years. Which is to say that for many years they hadn't increased the amount of money sent to the MTA to help support things.
NY State as a whole is one of the largest buyers of rail cars in the country. Uptil now NY State had no control over service run by Amtrak, so they basically let Amtrak do whatever it did and of course just complained about it, not that they were willing to shell out the money to gain control either. Now that they have to pick up the tab they will exercise much more control, perhaps even more than Amtrak will be happy to live with. But then again NY State has a few agencies that run passenger service somewhere or the other in the state, so it is not like they dontt know how to handle such either.

There are a host of single level cars soon to be retired in the NY area that could be put through a Amtrak California style rehab (as done with NJT Comarrows) to build up a healthy collection of additional cars for upstate service for cheap should NY be interested in such as a first step. Their first problem is however, to figure out a contract with Amtrak that both can live with. That is not yet a done deal.

However, as I have mentioned before, funding any such stuff in New York inevitably involves upstate-downstate politics and the outcomes are usually unpredictable.

NY State as a whole is one of the largest buyers of rail cars in the country.
True, but those buying the cars are the transit agencies which, while arguably are under the control of the state, get the bulk of their funding from sources other than the state.

True, but those buying the cars are the transit agencies which, while arguably are under the control of the state, get the bulk of their funding from sources other than the state.
From what it sounds like, there are two "easy" options for NY to place a car order:

1) Attempt to shift some MNRR or LIRR cars to Amtrak service with a refit; or

2) "Piggyback" a car order on their next commuter car order (i.e. when ordering 100 or 200 commuter cars, just bump the order up with options and exercise them for cars with a marginally different seat layout (i.e. 60-72 seat capacity instead of 100-130) and more luggage space.

I don't have the details on the source of funding, but do you really expect the source of funding for any potential Amtrak targeted cars purchased by NY State to be any different? If you do, Amtrak targeted cars will be a long time in the coming. I suspect the funding source mix will not be any different for passenger cars irrespective of whether they are for use in commuter service or upstate service. Is there any reason to believe otherwise?

AFAICT the source of funding is a mix of State DoT, Federal FTA, Federal CMAQ, and potentially for NY Area PANYNJ. Any one of those can fund additional upstate targeted cars through some appropriate machination like cascading existing cars to upstate while replacing them with new cars in NY area, etc..

From what it sounds like, there are two "easy" options for NY to place a car order:

1) Attempt to shift some MNRR or LIRR cars to Amtrak service with a refit; or

2) "Piggyback" a car order on their next commuter car order (i.e. when ordering 100 or 200 commuter cars, just bump the order up with options and exercise them for cars with a marginally different seat layout (i.e. 60-72 seat capacity instead of 100-130) and more luggage space.
LIRR does not have any cars that can be shifted to Amtrak service. They only have EMUs and C3 multi-levels which are not quite suitable for long distance service, though arguably New York to Montauk is a longer trip than New York to Albany in terms of time taken. In any case no surplus cars there.

MNRR has the Comets that are targeted for replacement in the near future, and could be cascaded with the California style Comarrow refurb into Amtrak service. The new commuter cars being talked about will probably be something like the NJT MLVs for MNRR, or so I am hearing, so piggybacking on that may not be an option. The only other new acquisitions are more EMUs.

Of course NJT has a slew of Comets that are prematurely retired to offer too. And there is the west of Hudson MNRR fleet, which will get replaced when the east of Hudson ones get replaced.

I don't have the details on the source of funding, but do you really expect the source of funding for any potential Amtrak targeted cars purchased by NY State to be any different? If you do, Amtrak targeted cars will be a long time in the coming. I suspect the funding source mix will not be any different for passenger cars irrespective of whether they are for use in commuter service or upstate service. Is there any reason to believe otherwise?

AFAICT the source of funding is a mix of State DoT, Federal FTA, Federal CMAQ, and potentially for NY Area PANYNJ. Any one of those can fund additional upstate targeted cars through some appropriate machination like cascading existing cars to upstate while replacing them with new cars in NY area, etc..
If NY State were to look to order its own equipment for the Empire corridor services, I think Amtrak would strongly resist NY buying different equipment. The FRA and US DOT (under the current administration) would almost certainly back up Amtrak on that. One purpose of the Next Gen single level car specifications is to purchase a uniform or mostly single level fleet. The Amfleets have been very successful in providing a standard car type that has been the mainstay in the eastern routes.

If NY State were to go off and order its own cars for the Empire service, PA its own set for the Keystone corridor while the NEC got a different set of cars, that would severely hamper the operational flexibility and adaptability that the Amfleet Is have provided for decades. No, I think NY, PA, VA, ME will be expected to support combined uniform large purchases of equipment. If the single level coach and café car order were to be placed with CAF at Elmira, I think the NY State politicians would rather supportive of that plan. :lol:

Discussions of future equipment purchases for the NEC and eastern states really should be in the Amtrak forum, not HSR. Even the Adirondack is leaning OT, but it does go to Montreal and improvements to and ridership growth for the Adirondack are key to the prospect of a future NYC to Montreal HSR service. I have been comparing the 1982 Adirondack schedule to the current one which is an interesting exercise and may post some thoughts on that later.

If NY State were to go off and order its own cars for the Empire service, PA its own set for the Keystone corridor while the NEC got a different set of cars, that would severely hamper the operational flexibility and adaptability that the Amfleet Is have provided for decades. No, I think NY, PA, VA, ME will be expected to support combined uniform large purchases of equipment. If the single level coach and café car order were to be placed with CAF at Elmira, I think the NY State politicians would rather supportive of that plan. :lol:
All that will of course depend on who eventually runs the Empire Corridor. It is not etched in stone that it will be Amtrak, though it still remains highly likely that it will be Amtrak. ;) As for choice of vendors, CAF in Elmira, Bombardier in Plattsburgh, and the Japanese outfit in Yonkers are all capable of producing said cars, so there is chance of some decent competition too. But at present none of them are producing the standard single level car as specified. The Viewliner is not the standard single level car specified.

Having said that, at present there appears to be no plan to acquire any new cars in the short order. Some number of Horizons are expected to cascade to the Empire Corridor and that should last them for the next decade easily.

BTW, Amfleets work fine with Amtrak's Horizon fleet as well as with an assortment of Comet cars. I don't see interoperability with a mix of cars as a big issue. They are all compatible with standards set by Amtrak. The argument for using single design is getting better pricing for larger orders. But NY already has huge orders for the basic Bombardier single level cars, and NJT + possibly MNRR have a huge production stream for the Bombardier MLVs. I don;t see any reason why something like the MLV would be unsuitable for the New York - Albany service for example, with suitable setup with different seats like the ACES MLVs.

Ironically, most of the commuter agencies that operate trailer cars are moving towards high platform multi-level cars on the NEC, and at least one is even contemplating high platform multi-level EMUs. So at least as far as commuter railroads are concerned, which buy an order of magnitude more cars than Amtrak and state contracted regional services will ever buy, are moving away from single level cars just a single level car standard is evolving. Surprisingly, in spite of the myriads of issues with the MLVs pointed out by the rail advocacy groups, they have proved to be very very popular with the riding public, as it shows in all surveys to date. There is public pressure on ConnDOT to acquire them after the denizens of Connecticut experience NJT MLVs on the football trains from New Haven to Secaucus!

Last edited by a moderator:
All that will of course depend on who eventually runs the Empire Corridor. It is not etched in stone that it will be Amtrak, though it still remains highly likely that it will be Amtrak. ;) As for choice of vendors, CAF in Elmira, Bombardier in Plattsburgh, and the Japanese outfit in Yonkers are all capable of producing said cars, so there is chance of some decent competition too.

Having said that, at present there appears to be no plan to acquire any new cars in the short order. Some number of Horizons are expected to cascade to the Empire Corridor and that should last them for the next decade easily.

BTW, Amfleets work fine with Amtrak's Horizon fleet as well as with an assortment of Comet cars. I don't see interoperability with a mix of cars as a big issue. They are all compatible with standards set by Amtrak. The argument for using single design is getting better pricing for larger orders. But NY already has huge orders for the basic Bombardier single level cars, and NJT + possibly MNRR have a huge production stream for the Bombardier MLVs. I don;t see any reason why something like the MLV would be unsuitable for the New York - Albany service for example, with suitable setup with different seats like the ACES MLVs
First, I think this is relevant because one thing tying up better upstate service is the overall car situation. It's not at the top of the list, but it's a problem...particularly in light of the relative shortage of LD Amfleets.

Second, I agree that MLVs could be used for NYP-ALB service, as could Comets. Since I think I've seen MLVs and single-level cars stuffed together before, and since NY state seems to want food service on all trains, could an Amcafe or something similar be paired with such a set?

No, I'm not expecting the State to buy Amtrak cars all on its own. I'm sure that they'll get help from the Fed in some fashion or another.

Just stating that there is a difference between saying that NY State brought a bunch of cars when they really aren't the lead in things when it comes to transit agencies and provide a rather low amount of the actual dollars vs. actually being the lead when it comes Amtrak cars for NY State services.

LIRR does not have any cars that can be shifted to Amtrak service. They only have EMUs and C3 multi-levels which are not quite suitable for long distance service, though arguably New York to Montauk is a longer trip than New York to Albany in terms of time taken. In any case no surplus cars there.
It's not even a matter of being suitable for longer distances in terms of comfort. The LIRR has no cars left now that can service low level platforms. Everything is only compatible with high level plats; so unless NY State converts every platform to high level, nothing could be taken from the LIRR.

BTW, Amfleets work fine with Amtrak's Horizon fleet as well as with an assortment of Comet cars. I don't see interoperability with a mix of cars as a big issue. They are all compatible with standards set by Amtrak. The argument for using single design is getting better pricing for larger orders. But NY already has huge orders for the basic Bombardier single level cars, and NJT + possibly MNRR have a huge production stream for the Bombardier MLVs. I don;t see any reason why something like the MLV would be unsuitable for the New York - Albany service for example, with suitable setup with different seats like the ACES MLVs.
Just curious if you know for sure that the Empire Connection tunnel was built with enough height clearance to clear a MLV? I would hope so, since it was constructed rather recently, but still I do have to wonder if they allowed for it or not, since the rest of NYP can't take Superliners anyhow.

No, I'm not expecting the State to buy Amtrak cars all on its own. I'm sure that they'll get help from the Fed in some fashion or another.

Just stating that there is a difference between saying that NY State brought a bunch of cars when they really aren't the lead in things when it comes to transit agencies and provide a rather low amount of the actual dollars vs. actually being the lead when it comes Amtrak cars for NY State services.
My assumption in asking this was that NY State would be getting help from the Feds for at least part of the purchase cost; an 80-20 match wouldn't be unbelievable, for example.

It's not even a matter of being suitable for longer distances in terms of comfort. The LIRR has no cars left now that can service low level platforms. Everything is only compatible with high level plats; so unless NY State converts every platform to high level, nothing could be taken from the LIRR.
Good point. Even if they did, they have no surplus anyway, and nothing that they plan to replace in the near future. MNRR does plan to replace at least a subfleet of the Comet fleet in the near future, with some (the ConnDOT ones) possibly cascading to Shore Line East. I know that Bombardier is actively working with ConnDOT to sell them a bunch of MLVs.

Incidentally LIRR does run the Cannonball and other East End Expresses using their C3 MLVs, and these trains have non stop runs for over an hour from the likes of Speonk to Jamaica and v.v. Actually they are kind of fun to ride IMHO, and not all that horrible as far as comfort goes. Yeah, no reclining seats, but the regular seats aren't all that bad for a couple of hours.

you could probably cut everything south of ALB save NYP
No, no, you'd want to skip NYP too and just run the whole thing right into the Atlantic Ocean, so that the passengers can be exactly

like this pie-in-the-sky New York-Montreal high speed rail proposal: Dead On Arrival.

No, no, you'd want to skip NYP too and just run the whole thing right into the Atlantic Ocean, so that the passengers can be exactly

like this pie-in-the-sky New York-Montreal high speed rail proposal: Dead On Arrival.
Heh! If you skipped NYP you'd have to run all the way to Greenport before you actually fall into the sea. :lol: But point well taken. :)

Heh! If you skipped NYP you'd have to run all the way to Greenport before you actually fall into the sea. :lol: But point well taken. :)
And now suddenly, I'm thinking of Alan Sherman's "J. C. Cohen" (a parody of Casey Jones, involving a northbound subway train).

Again, it depends on how you define "high speed rail" as to whether something is workable here. A run that has 79 MPH speeds off of the "bad stretch" along Lake Champlain but that does the run in seven hours or less is feasible without putting billions of dollars into the plan...but you'd need NY state to get on board, and that's not likely unless/until a lot is happening on the main Empire Corridor.

Again, it depends on how you define "high speed rail" as to whether something is workable here. A run that has 79 MPH speeds off of the "bad stretch" along Lake Champlain but that does the run in seven hours or less is feasible without putting billions of dollars into the plan...but you'd need NY state to get on board, and that's not likely unless/until a lot is happening on the main Empire Corridor.
A trip time of 7 hours would very likely require substantial ROW straightening between Fort Edwards and Plattsburgh. At some cost point, might as well build a true HSR corridor. However, I would venture that a roughly 8.5 hour trip time is feasible and maybe even 8 hours if enough money were spent in the slow stretches. I did a random check of Adirondack time-keeping on Amtrak Status Maps for different days in recent week and then back in the Spring. A common pattern is that the Adirondack runs late between Plattsburgh and Fort Edward, but then makes it up because of the extreme padding heading south of Saratoga Springs or north of Plattsburgh.

Removal of the custom stops at the border will help, not just in the obvious trip time savings, but I expect in better scheduling of the freight trains. If the southbound #68 spends anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes at the Rouses Point holding up the line, it throws a wild card every day into the dispatching of everything else on the line.

Rather than focus on 8 or 7 hour trip times, we should consider the effects of a 8-1/2 hour trip time (if Quebec is willing to pay for some track improvements north of the border). If ~86K are willing to take an almost 11 hour trip with a long mind numbing stop at the border for Customs, ridership should take off with a 9 or 8.5 hour trip time. Worry about better trip times later.

Removal of the custom stops at the border will help, not just in the obvious trip time savings, but I expect in better scheduling of the freight trains. If the southbound #68 spends anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes at the Rouses Point holding up the line, it throws a wild card every day into the dispatching of everything else on the line.
No freight crosses the border at Rouses Point, so it doesn't matter how long Amtrak sits there for customs, it doesn't matter at all in that place.

Now if the train departs late from Rouses because of Customs, it could cause conflicts further down the line with freight or even the sister train coming north.

A trip time of 7 hours would very likely require substantial ROW straightening between Fort Edwards and Plattsburgh. At some cost point, might as well build a true HSR corridor. However, I would venture that a roughly 8.5 hour trip time is feasible and maybe even 8 hours if enough money were spent in the slow stretches. I did a random check of Adirondack time-keeping on Amtrak Status Maps for different days in recent week and then back in the Spring. A common pattern is that the Adirondack runs late between Plattsburgh and Fort Edward, but then makes it up because of the extreme padding heading south of Saratoga Springs or north of Plattsburgh.

Rather than focus on 8 or 7 hour trip times, we should consider the effects of a 8-1/2 hour trip time (if Quebec is willing to pay for some track improvements north of the border). If ~86K are willing to take an almost 11 hour trip with a long mind numbing stop at the border for Customs, ridership should take off with a 9 or 8.5 hour trip time. Worry about better trip times later.
Well, a lot of the problem is that it is quite often easier to sell people on ten $100 million projects than on a single $1 billion project; moreover, it is easier to obtain those sorts of budget commitments. Among the million other issues surrounding it, the long timeframe on CAHSR is a bit of a problem: Politicians can think in timeframes of up to a decade or so if pushed (even if 2-4 years is their preferred frame of reference, 8 years or so for a major project means that a Governor starting something big can hope to be in office when it is done). Moreover, and I could be wrong here, but I think that at least some rules regarding studies may be a bit more lenient on smaller projects (i.e. cleaning up a couple of grade crossings or straightening a curve within an existing RoW) than on larger ones (i.e. starting up a new route with fresh alignments). Witness how quickly, for example, the Norfolk train came together (3 years, including construction) versus how long the Richmond-to-Hampton Roads project is taking (from what I can tell, that study process started in 2004 and there's still a Tier II report required).

Being charitable, a bunch of small projects that can be shoehorned into a state budget with limited assistance from on high are more workable, in many cases, than one big project that requires a ten-year process. It's also worth noting that at least on the southern end of the Adirondack line (and the northern one as well), 90 MPH may be achievable (as opposed to "just" 79 MPH) within the foreseeable future. But when you get down to it, based on what is possible with regulations and whatnot, I'd rather see five or ten minutes of improvement every year or two than gamble on a big project aimed at whacking 90 minutes off of travel time (note that this is notwithstanding the border crossing delay).

Afigg: I'm going to argue that you can get down to eight hours even within reason, assuming that you can get a frequency that skips at least some downstate stops and some cooperation from QC. Right now, the trip is just over 11:00 (it's 11:05 NB and 11:10 SB). Dropping the customs stop should eliminate 2:00 each way, if the thick pad heading into Schenectady plus the customs times are any indication. That's 9:05-9:10 each way. Doing the limited NY State proposal should get you to 8:50-8:55 or so, and realistically shedding some of the local stops on the lower end (going to an LSL stopping schedule) should get you another ten minutes. 8:45-8:50 isn't entirely unreasonable to hope for, and that's with very little improvement along the line.

I do want to ask: Is the lower Empire Corridor capped at 90 MPH or 79 MPH? I can't recall, honestly, but the <60 MPH average speed suggests some room for improvement along here, and I know there's a push to get 110 MPH running north of ALB.

My point with all of this is that with minimal operational changes and improvements, a push for 8:00 should be plausible without too much effort in some sense, and as I think we can both agree, trip times in that range should send ridership up substantially enough to look at a second train (which should itself drive ridership up since I have very little doubt that the slightly insane NYP connection is not helping with through traffic off of the NEC in either direction, and a second train would seem to at least hint at one or the other leaving late enough to make the connection with a post-5:00 AM train out of DC one way, and to allow a legal connection to a train arriving in DC before 1:30 AM the other).

The other thing that I keep looking at is this: There's so much endpoint traffic on the route (and the "in between" areas are such a dead zone in terms of ridership) that I could see a serious discussion emerge of either an express frequency or an express section. As it is, I think the potential ridership to MTR with no changes but the removal of the border restrictions on capacity (i.e. not even cutting trip times down) is probably about 100k or so. I don't have a good metric to guess at what you'd get with consistent LD seating or with the large cut in in-transit time, but would demand increasing by 50% seem insane with that much improvement? I doubt it, and that's going to stress the train's capacity right there.

And Alan, I think you're dead on with the possible conflicts down the line being the issue...if CP can't tell whether the Adirondack will be coming through at 12:00 or 1:30, that's going to offer some real operational headaches.

I do want to ask: Is the lower Empire Corridor capped at 90 MPH or 79 MPH? I can't recall, honestly, but the <60 MPH average speed suggests some room for improvement along here, and I know there's a push to get 110 MPH running north of ALB.
If by lower Empire you mean ALB to POU, then neither. There are already places where the speeds top 100 MPH, although I don't believe that there are long stretches of that, but I've heard detectors claiming the train was going over 90 MPH on more than one occasion.

If by lower Empire you mean ALB to POU, then neither. There are already places where the speeds top 100 MPH, although I don't believe that there are long stretches of that, but I've heard detectors claiming the train was going over 90 MPH on more than one occasion.
Ah, that's good to hear. I'm just wondering...why, then, does it take 2:30 to get from NYP-ALB? Is it delays south of POU? Slow running on the Empire Connection?

Ah, that's good to hear. I'm just wondering...why, then, does it take 2:30 to get from NYP-ALB? Is it delays south of POU? Slow running on the Empire Connection?
Well again, I don't believe that there are long sustained stretches where the trains currently top 90MPH. Something that Amtrak is looking to change now with the long term lease.

And then yes there are slow patches on Metro North and sometimes interference from their trains, and then one isn't exactly flying from Spuyten Duyvil down to NYP.

Well again, I don't believe that there are long sustained stretches where the trains currently top 90MPH. Something that Amtrak is looking to change now with the long term lease.

And then yes there are slow patches on Metro North and sometimes interference from their trains, and then one isn't exactly flying from Spuyten Duyvil down to NYP.

It would be really interesting to see a map of speed restrictions between NYP-ALB. We can then all debate on what can and should be fixed :giggle:

Here is a listing of allowed speeds and the milepost limits of their application from a 2004 CSX employee timetable. Taht timetable was legitimately available on-line for a while, whether still or not, I do not know. It only gives information north of the end of MNR ownership. There are only two zones of 110 mph speeds, one 16.8 miles long and the other, which is north of Albany, 7.3 miles long.

..75.5 End MNR, begin CSX

..89.2 Rhinecliff Station

114.5 Hudson Station

110 <----

142.1 Albany-Rensselaur Station

110 <---

159.8 Schenectady Station

159.9 Connection to CP for Montreal 15 mph through connection track

George,

Thank you for the chart. It really does help to actually have numbers to go on.

Looking at this, how much of that 80-95 territory could go to 100-110? I know some of those dropoffs are curve-related or yard-related (and besides, the slowdown at Albany and the one at Schenectady are both largely incidental since the train has to stop for them anyway), but I'm seeing well over 50 miles of reasonably quick track that might be a candidate for nudging up further.

Likewise, does anyone know the speeds along the MNR section? That's another 75 miles or so of track, and there are some good, straight sections that could benefit there (to say nothing of the benefits of speeding up the West Side Line/Empire Connection once you get out of Penn).

Back