Happiness = Disneyland = Alcohol per Cafe car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is alcohol is not sold or allowed in Disneyland (except at members only Club 33).
It's very much available at California Adventure and Downtown Disney, which are considered part of Disneyland.
No, while they are part of the complex, California Adventure is a separate theme park and Downtown Disney is essentially a shopping district connected to both. Disneyland is only the orignal theme park.

The situation is exactly parallel to that at WDW. Magic Kingdom, the WDW equivalent to Disneyland, bans alcohol. The other 3 theme parks in the WDW complex, EPCOT, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom sell alcohol, as do Downtown Disney and the water parks.
Today, Disneyland has two different meanings - there is Disneyland Park (the original park) and Disneyland Resort which encompasses the entire property - Disneyland Park, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, and the Disney owned hotels. Why? First, with the addition of California Adventure, a name was needed for the entire resort. Secondly, for legal reasons: you can trademark an adjective but not a noun. So the trademarked Disneyland had to be used as an adjective by putting it in front of a noun (Park and Resort in this case).

The correct analogy to Orlando is Disneyland Park is to Disneyland Resort as Magic Kingdom (Park) is to Walt Disney World (Resort).

The wildest I have ever seen Amtrak was a trip in 6 maybe thirty years ago. I wondered what the extra coaches were doing on the end of the train, departing from SF on a Friday. I wandered back and there were three coaches and a dance car, full of Reno headed partiers. I joined the fun and had one hell of a good time.

I also noticed on another trip headed west that adding coaches at Reno and a whole bunch of folks boarding. There was actually one guy who was carried back on the train, from my vantage point, passed out.

And, though a drinking man himself, Walt Disney himself understood that you could enjoy a day at the park without booze. Yes, he had Club 33 - again a private club - primarily to post a get away for clients, investors, etc. He even had a beer garden for a couple of years outside the park.

Can anyone name a Disney film (particularly from the 60s-00s) that did NOT have a scene with alcohol?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Walt was no tee totaller, but announcing booze sales for an experience like Disneyland would likely offend me, particularly if I'm with my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Amtrak wants to boost revenue, but listening to the Cafe car attendant announcing she is going to try and make the car 'happy' like "at Disneyland" by offering Happy Hour beer special pricing. Great example for the kids on board as we are heading into ABQ on the Southwest Chief.
Oh, please, don't be such a scold. I think the kids will survive knowing the Cafe car is serving what it always serves.

Two years ago I was riding Metra in Chicago on my last Amtrak LD trip. I think it was Saturday or Sunday. There was a huge group of family and friends on the train with multiple beer cases celebrating a guy's birthday. They opened a beer bottle each and started drinking, and had a party inside. It was men, women, and children, only the children did not drink beer. They also offered beer to the conductor.

Basically, a huge group of people had a beer party on a regularly-scheduled Metra train coach and nobody cared, nothing happened. So why should people care on Amtrak, especially in the Lounge Car? Anything that increases revenue is good for Amtrak.
Alcohol is allowed on Metra except on specific days when there are big events in the city.

Alcohol was actually sold on Metra until a few years ago. Same with LIRR and until a few months ago MetroNorth.

And those weren't cafés that happened to sell alcohol. Those were Bar Cars whose main purpose was to sell liquor. Except for typical bar snacks and soft drinks meant primarily as mixers, they sold nothing else.

LIRRs Hampton Reserve service aboard it's famed Cannonball still does it, although that's really more of a regional train then a commuter.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Party like Disneyland" wouldn't bother me - that sounds like people just having fun, not getting roaring drunk.

If the attendant announced "Party like Mardi Gras!" then that would be a different story.

And, though a drinking man himself, Walt Disney himself understood that you could enjoy a day at the park without booze. Yes, he had Club 33 - again a private club - primarily to post a get away for clients, investors, etc. He even had a beer garden for a couple of years outside the park.

Can anyone name a Disney film (particularly from the 60s-00s) that did NOT have a scene with alcohol?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Walt was no tee totaller, but announcing booze sales for an experience like Disneyland would likely offend me, particularly if I'm with my family.
It's kind of strange when you think of what was or wasn't allowed from a modern perspective. Smoking was actually allowed everywhere at Disneyland, and there was a tobacco shop right there on Main Street. However, Walt Disney was adamant that he didn't want to see alcohol sales within the park, even though he admitted to drinking alcohol himself. Walt Disney was himself a chain smoker, although he avoided being recorded doing so or where there were children present. He died of complications from lung cancer after one lung was removed; his circulatory system just failed one day and was probably a result of just having that one compromised lung.

It was always possible to get a drink at the Disneyland Hotel, although that technically wasn't owned by the Walt Disney Company until the 80s. The relationship with the owner was actually pretty tense, as there was a certain sleaze factor to the place. Walt had a hard time getting anyone to build a hotel to service Disneyland and was too overextended from building to park to build a hotel. He took the best offer he could from a friend. It wasn't horrible, but it certainly wasn't up to the standards of Walt himself, who tried to buy it out for years before he died.

They show plenty of drinking in Disney movies, so I still don't get why this is even a thing.

donaldduck.jpg

Donald Duck drinking Brazilian alcohol

beauty-beast-bar-beer-gaston-hidden-mickey.jpg

This entire scene in "Beauty and the Beast". In fact, this one has one of the infamous "Hidden Mickeys" (in front of Gaston's face).

tangled.jpg

Sitting on a bar, stein in hand, from "Tangled"

Does Disney really have that Lilly white reputation in the minds of the general public? I took a sociology course where my professor spent half a semester explaining how Disney has created the ultimate fake image in being family friendly. I hate to sound like I was brain washed by some left wing professor, but after going through all the information he provided the evidence kind of spoke for itself.

Does Disney really have that Lilly white reputation in the minds of the general public? I took a sociology course where my professor spent half a semester explaining how Disney has created the ultimate fake image in being family friendly. I hate to sound like I was brain washed by some left wing professor, but after going through all the information he provided the evidence kind of spoke for itself.
Certainly they have the most efficient theme park staff on the planet. Even at a point when Disneyland was considered in somewhat of a decline, I remember seeing personnel assigned to scraping off gum from the street and making it look immaculate.

Of course most of us get that it's just a fantasy that's been manufactured, and can still be OK with it. I frankly don't care how "family friendly" they are. My kid loves Disney movies and all things Disney, so that just becomes part of our lives as parents.

The various Vegas has been compared to Disney. That's not unfair. They are both highly efficient machines designed to entertain you so much that they can separate you from enormous amounts of money.

Is doing it with fairy princesses, hilariously overpriced food and accommodations, and amusement park rides (and alcohol, too by the by) really all that much cleaner then doing it with slot machines, gambling, booze, and shows?

I wonder what the OP would have thought of the announced free craft beer tasting in the Park Car on the Canadian last February? :eek:

It was amazing to watch the beer sales soar after the tasting. :p

I have absolutely no doubt that it paid for itself many times over! :)

Amtrak is NOT a parent to your children. That is YOUR job. Stop complaining about Amtrak and start explaining how the world works. They will hear a lot of talk in this world and you might not be there to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back