Happiness = Disneyland = Alcohol per Cafe car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also asked some Amtrak conductors if they really enforce the personal alcohol policy, and have been told by some that they don't care as long as someone isn't overdoing it. One beer probably wouldn't attract their attention.
Back when we'd ride in coach from St. Paul to Minot (when the Empire Builder wasn't as crowded, or subject to such delays), I'd always buy a couple of 20-oz. bottles of Squirt, and add gin and Angostura bitters to them. Several times we heard a stern warning from a conductor that anyone caught drinking personal alcohol would be dumped at the next grade crossing. We drank up, knowing that no one ever pays attention to quiet, boring, middle-aged couples... Now, of course, we're in a sleeper compartment and our cocktails are more elaborate (a 20th Century, perhaps, since it was named after the train) and actually legit. Win-win.

I remember a couple of Sundays on the Lake Shore Limited when the club car attendant announced, "It's noon, drinky time." Better than the dark days when the Empire Builder would cross from Montana into North Dakota on a Sunday and the drinks would stop.

I'm just a new guy here but I travel by train so I can enjoy the scenery and a fine brew....thank you Mr. Red Solo cup. Act like a civil adult and nobody will bother you.
New guy or not, I think this is spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waz wrong with you? I only had two beers officer!

Let me recommend the perfect rail rider companion:

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1406979347.928513.jpg

The convenient pint size fits neatly in your back pocket and as thousands of homeless across the nation say: "it hits you like a freight train!"

#1 rated "bum wine" in America!

And with a railroad theme, who will complain?

You can even ask a cranky conductor to identify the engine on the label!

You will thank me for this tip.

Oh, bring aspirin for the morning. Lots of aspirin and coffee.

I'm kind of surprised that the reference to Disneyland is being taken seriously. Where I come from when adults refer to Disneyland it's usually a corny tongue-in-cheek type reference that's not meant to be taken that seriously. I guess it started all the way back with Nancy Kerrigan. Oddly enough I consider Amtrak to be rather dry compared to airlines with complimentary booze in flagship lounges along with premium cabins featuring an open bar in the sky. On many transpacific and some transatlantic flights some airlines even have open bars in coach as well. Southwest Airlines has offered free alcohol in coach on major holidays for as long as I can remember. On the other hand the airlines never seem to mention any of this over the PA so I guess in that sense the OP would be perfectly fine with it so long as the children are kept in the dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of wish Amtrak cafe car attendants would stay off the intercom in general. Many of them are way too chatty. Much nicer to be on the Viewliners with broken PA systems.

Sales is theater. The problem with most talkative LSAs is they don't have the touch to do it well. They drone on and on in either non emotional or fake cheerful voices without any sparkle.

The attendant was just trying to drum up some business __ from adults. The OP seems a little too uptight about this. I hope he keeps his kids away from sports broadcasts on TV, those are loaded with beer ads from start to finish.

I like the chat, I don't like the coach or sleeper attendants that walk around saying nothing, and in the case of the former, barely doing anything. Ask them about Budd Stainless and they don't even know.

Let me recommend the perfect rail rider companion:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1406979347.928513.jpg

The convenient pint size fits neatly in your back pocket and as thousands of homeless across the nation say: "it hits you like a freight train!"

#1 rated "bum wine" in America!

And with a railroad theme, who will complain?

You can even ask a cranky conductor to identify the engine on the label!
I love it!

"Loaded like a freight train. Flyin' like an aeroplane...I'm on the nightrain, Bottoms up! I'm on the nightrain! Fill my cup! I'm on the nightrain. Ready to crash and burn I'll never learn. I'm on the nightrain. I love that stuff! I'm on the nightrain! I can never get enough! I'm on the nightrain! Never to return!

You good sir win the thread hands down. :hi:

I kind of wish Amtrak cafe car attendants would stay off the intercom in general. Many of them are way too chatty. Much nicer to be on the Viewliners with broken PA systems.
Agreed.

I'm not especially concerned about alcohol sales or their potential for affecting undeveloped psyches, but if it were up to me PA announcements would be rare and brief affairs used as a last resort when no other form of communication was possible or appropriate for the information being relayed. British, French, German, and Japanese trains are rather quiet by comparison to the incessant commentary I've experienced on numerous Amtrak trains. That's not to say all Amtrak trains are loud and noisy but if you have an LSA or SCA with a lot to say your trip could end up anything but restful.

I do enjoy a beer or two, and get the impression that most on this forum do also, from the responses.

However, I agree with the original poster that linking drinking with "disney fun" is not cool... Happy hour, yes, disney no.

I do understand this is just one attendant doing a bit of amateur sales promotion, and a bit nit picking, but it still feels wrong to me... A bit like including clowns and toys to sell unhealthy meals to kids.

Not a big deal, but felt inclined to post in order to preserve the "balanced" image of AU members. :p

Ed :cool:

I do enjoy a beer or two, and get the impression that most on this forum do also, from the responses.

However, I agree with the original poster that linking drinking with "disney fun" is not cool... Happy hour, yes, disney no.

I do understand this is just one attendant doing a bit of amateur sales promotion, and a bit nit picking, but it still feels wrong to me... A bit like including clowns and toys to sell unhealthy meals to kids.

Not a big deal, but felt inclined to post in order to preserve the "balanced" image of AU members. :p

I don't drink and I don't smoke, but I also don't continue to embrace Disney nor do I continue to ride Amtrak.

Being that Amtrak's SWC is an overnight train with a dining car and lounge, I find it impossible for Amtrak to stop selling or ban alcohol. Unless Amtrak removes the Dining Car and Lounge from the train.

I don't think anyone, even the original poster, wants to ban alcohol... It is simply the fact that because you "have a good time at disney", you could be encouraged to buy more beer if someone says "our happy hour is like being at disney".

Here in the UK we have something called "advertising standards authority", where any advertising claims have to be substantiated, you can't just make stuff up, make false claims, sort of... (somehow, claiming to reducing the "appearance" of wrinkles, rather than reducing wrinkles in fact, seems to get the green light in the cosmetic advertising world!)

Anyway, I am away to reduce my wrinkled appearance... I don't use creams, I just drink beer 'till I can't see them!

I don't see any problem with the announcement. If someone does it is actually a perfect opportunity to have a teachable moment with children about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse.

On the Sunset Limited, the cafe attendant came on about once an hour and told a joke before telling everyone of his wares. Don't remember if he mentioned alcohol but it was fun listening to his jokes.

If a child is brought up to see disney as a clean, wholesome, family fun entity, it could be quite confusing to them if you try and then have a teachable moment to explain that although the nice amtrak lady says drinking alcohol is fun, like at disney, you, as a parent don't agree... It is kind of setting up a parents voice against the influence of the disney brand on young minds.

I know this is quite OTT in this context, and I will now shut up!

Ed. :cool:

If a child is brought up to see disney as a clean, wholesome, family fun entity, it could be quite confusing to them if you try and then have a teachable moment to explain that although the nice amtrak lady says drinking alcohol is fun, like at disney, you, as a parent don't agree... It is kind of setting up a parents voice against the influence of the disney brand on young minds.

I know this is quite OTT in this context, and I will now shut up!

Ed. :cool:
Just for the record, you can get wine all over WDW in Orlando. It greatly improved my tolerance of little ones.

You'd have to be a fool to disagree that drinking alcohol is fun. It can even be wholesome and a nice family activity. Abusing it is very dangerous. The teachable moment is to teach the child that alcohol is something adults can enjoy in moderation, that one should not abuse.

Ever been to a properly run Passover Seder? You are supposed to drink four large glasses of wine before your meal even starts.

It's interesting to think that the man who helped create a brand and an empire that catered to wholesome childhood dreams was also accused of far less wholesome values such as sexism, racism, antisemitism, and McCarthyism. Even though the Disney company is one of the most prolific users of prior art they are also one of the most protective litigators of their own content and derivatives. Thanks to lobbying efforts spearheaded by Disney no commercial copyrighted works in the US have passed into the public domain since the 1920's. Indeed with each successive modification to worldwide copyright law it seems less and less likely that any current or future works will lose enforceable copyright ever again. Although Disney stories often present us with simplistic concepts of good or bad and right or wrong the man and the company behind those stories are surprisingly hard to quantify in simplistic terms. It would seem that the history of Disney and the company he created is chock full of teachable moments for those who look hard enough. Not just for our children but for the adults among us as well.

It's quite possible copyright will be abolished entirely; the current Disney-induced situation is quite unsustainable, and there will be a reaction. Sooner rather than later. Disney really did go far, far too far in their quest for endless copyrights.

I think the OP is overly concerned about the impact of the announcement. My wife and I often recall an announcement made by the lounge attendant on the Empire Builder a few years ago. He went through a list of the foods he offered and was on to beverages when he paused and said, "And beer. Mmmm. Ice. Cold. Beer. The Coldest Beer in Town." Of course, as he says this we are cruising across Montana at 70 MPH and nowhere near a town.

Most importantly, it worked. We went to the lounge for a beer shortly after the announcement. I've come to wonder how the sales numbers differ between attendants like the guy on the Empire Builder and ones who simply announce, "The lounge is now open." A key way to cut food and beverage losses is to sell more of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back