Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McDonalds? Cricket, don't you guys have Hardee's or at least Chik-Fil-A out there?
Chick-fil-A? That would mean no trains running on Sundays, and no hiring of "those" kind of people.
I admit I don't like their hiring practices or politics (if a place wants to close on Sunday, that is their prerogative). But they offer food that is decent and cheap, as opposed to inedible and cheap (McDonalds), or inedible and expensive (Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, et al.) Hardee's however is good, cheap, and treats their employees well (at least my local one does).
Chick-fil-a charges full price for a sandwich so tiny it would be considered child size anywhere else. Hardee's is a sister chain of Carl's Jr., which famously bragged that they were moving out of California and into Texas in order to escape having to pay a living wage with basic benefits.

McDonalds? Cricket, don't you guys have Hardee's or at least Chik-Fil-A out there?
Chick-fil-A? That would mean no trains running on Sundays, and no hiring of "those" kind of people.
I admit I don't like their hiring practices or politics (if a place wants to close on Sunday, that is their prerogative). But they offer food that is decent and cheap, as opposed to inedible and cheap (McDonalds), or inedible and expensive (Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, et al.) Hardee's however is good, cheap, and treats their employees well (at least my local one does).
Chick-fil-a charges full price for a sandwich so tiny it would be considered child size anywhere else. Hardee's is a sister chain of Carl's Jr., which famously bragged that they were moving out of California and into Texas in order to escape having to pay a living wage with basic benefits.
The Chick Fil-A chicken sandwich is just as large - and with a thicker, higher quality chicken patty - as its major competitors. Are you sure you're not confusing it with something else (Chick-n-mini's?). Regardless, the company clearly deserves respect for its willingness to stand up for what is right, as opposed to what is popular or politically correct.

Each Chick-Fil-A restaurant is individually owned under a franchise agreement different from McDonalds and many others that require you to commit to owning several locations. Chick-Fil-A makes it possible for many more people to own their own business. The company has very high quality standards for its products and its service. Since "fresh" is a key component to the operation, I do not see this brand on AMTRAK. In fact, other fast food companies that demand "fresh" made to order also could not be part of AMTRAK., like In-n-Out, Newk's, etc. Now McDonalds, Amtrak could just freeze a batch then zap each when ordered in the cafe.

Regardless, the company clearly deserves respect for its willingness to stand up for what is right, as opposed to what is popular or politically correct.
That, they don't deserve respect for. That kind of stuff, what's right is in the customers eye. I would never tell my customers about any belief of mine that doesn't relate to my business. God forbid I offend a customer- they won't give me their money under such a circumstance!

S Truitt Cathy had a right to his opinions; He was a moron for sharing those opinions publicly. I may have left leanings, perhaps left wing leanings; I share them, when I do, under the anonymity of my screen name. And even so, I am not stupid enough to share some of my more radical opinions anywhere.

Regardless, the company clearly deserves respect for its willingness to stand up for what is right, as opposed to what is popular or politically correct.
That, they don't deserve respect for. That kind of stuff, what's right is in the customers eye. I would never tell my customers about any belief of mine that doesn't relate to my business. God forbid I offend a customer- they won't give me their money under such a circumstance!

S Truitt Cathy had a right to his opinions; He was a moron for sharing those opinions publicly. I may have left leanings, perhaps left wing leanings; I share them, when I do, under the anonymity of my screen name. And even so, I am not stupid enough to share some of my more radical opinions anywhere.
Chick Fil-A might be standing up, but IMHO, not for what's right. Too many life experiences have taught me that what Chick Fil-A stands for, is so very wrong.

I only mentioned about them closing on Sundays because, again IMHO, that would preclude them from being an Amtrak food supplier because Amtrak would need food 7 days a week.

Your screen name not only gives you anonymity, but given the topic here, makes me think you are somehow associated with Green Maned Coffee (aka Green Mountain Coffee). :D

Chick Fil-A might be standing up, but IMHO, not for what's right. Too many life experiences have taught me that what Chick Fil-A stands for, is so very wrong.

I only mentioned about them closing on Sundays because, again IMHO, that would preclude them from being an Amtrak food supplier because Amtrak would need food 7 days a week.

Your screen name not only gives you anonymity, but given the topic here, makes me think you are somehow associated with Green Maned Coffee (aka Green Mountain Coffee). :D
Green Mountain? Gevaldt. :D

No, I agree with you mostly (I say mostly because I don't know all of their opinions). I find it ironic that it is the fire and brimstone types who feel the strongest about this stuff. My view of god is a kindly, understanding, patient and merciful one.

But not one that would take kindly to people waving His flag and name around the concepts of bigotry, intolerance, and human suffering. If I believed in hell, I'd hope such people went straight to it.

I wonder how many posts there would be in a thread announcing Amtrak had switched vendors for salt & pepper? :)

I wonder how many posts there would be in a thread announcing Amtrak had switched vendors for salt & pepper? :)
Knowing this place? I'd give it half a day before the forum program put one of those "HOT" stickers next to the thread. ;)

Green Mountain? Gevaldt. :D
No, I agree with you mostly (I say mostly because I don't know all of their opinions). I find it ironic that it is the fire and brimstone types who feel the strongest about this stuff. My view of god is a kindly, understanding, patient and merciful one.

But not one that would take kindly to people waving His flag and name around the concepts of bigotry, intolerance, and human suffering. If I believed in hell, I'd hope such people went straight to it.
This!

I don't care much for McDonald's food, but they do serve a pretty good cup of arabica coffee, and at a very reasonable price...

The Chick Fil-A chicken sandwich is just as large - and with a thicker, higher quality chicken patty - as its major competitors. Are you sure you're not confusing it with something else (Chick-n-mini's?). Regardless, the company clearly deserves respect for its willingness to stand up for what is right, as opposed to what is popular or politically correct.
And by "what is right," you mean incessant gay bashing, correct? Because that's what Chic Fil-A has made one of its missions. The other being better than average chicken. Too bad they can't be better than average citizens too.

Moderator Note: Please try to keep the discussion on the topic of coffee on Amtrak trains and try to avoid discussing the possible political leanings of entities that have nothing to do with Amtrak coffee.

Thank you.

Where's Wawas when you need them? Or Tim Hortons? I would pay $3 for coffee from either of them, but not Dunkin Donuts. I actually liked the Amtrak coffee, whatever brand it was.

Will the coffee still be complimentary in business class?
Yes it will. We are now carrying two types of cups. The "regular" 12oz cups for tea, hot chocolate, and hot water, or coffee for business class or crew. These will still be $2, unless comped. The new 14oz cups will sell for $3 ($3.50 on the Acela), and can not be comped or used for hot tea/chocolate/water, unless you want to pay $3.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Coffee quality and style may sound trivial, but it is a major business strategic focus. Some years ago, McDonald's upgraded its coffee blend and made it a major part of defending its breakfast business. Notoriously mediocre coffee is now pretty good, and at a good price, often "on sale". And it has helped. People are often willing to pay more for what they want in a cup of coffee, and chains offer more choices to satisfy a wider audience. DD added Dark Roast for that very reason. The brand is very popular in the Northeast. Of course, they suffer from a problem many chains share in, quality control and consistency across locations. For a few years I walked past 2 Dunkin Donuts going from the garage to the building I was in. One had good coffee one bad....same water. One cared one didn't.

McDonalds doesn't have that particular problem- corporate penalizes any inconsistency- using higher quality than specified is equally disciplined, thus producing a level of consistency that provides a unified product worldwide. You can walk into a McDonalds a mile from your house, across the country, or on the otherside of the planet, and if you order the same thing, you will receive the same inedible food.

I am very particular about my coffee- I use espresso beans, usually Wegmans brand, although I accept others. I grind enough for a 12 cup machine, put that in a 25 oz French press I bought from Ikea for $5, and pour in boiling water, wait 3 minutes, and drink it black. The convienence store near my house (a independently owned former Wawa with excellent Boars head deli and grill) does ok. But generally, any establishment who makes coffee to my taste will have a hard time selling it to others.

That is one of the big selling points of the various single serve coffee systems that have become so popular. (Keurig would be the best known example) The ability of a person to select the blend they like, without imposing their tastes on others. Of course, many people or places only buy one type of pod, and that sort of defeats the purpose of having a single serve system. Coffee and food tastes vary widely, lots of people find many of the current Mcdonalds's selections acceptable, some actually pretty good.

It's honestly been ages since I visited a Chick-fil-a firsthand. Originally it was because their sandwiches were tiny and a poor value for a fast food restaurant. After their founder made some discriminatory comments I was curious to see what the business itself had to say. Originally they said that anyone and everyone was welcome in their stores, which I believe to be true, however it was also investigated and reported that the business had been quietly funding discriminatory groups and activists for many years and that kind of sealed the door for me. That's not a problem when you're selling food in a place like Texas. In fact Chick-fil-a's sales skyrocketed in response to their founder's comments and funding revelations down here. However, such divisive positions and initiatives would seem to be a poor match for a pro-inclusion and anti-discrimination business like Amtrak.

You can walk into a McDonalds a mile from your house, across the country, or on the otherside of the planet, and if you order the same thing, you will receive the same inedible food.
McDonald's in Japan is leagues ahead of McDonald's in the US.

As far as McDonald's coffee, many, not all, franchises, do not run timers on a pot of coffee after it was made. Mornings, this is never a problem, but late morning on, they may use the same pot until it is gone or until someone complains it is burnt from being on the heat too long. I have also observed old being poured into new. Keeping the coffee fresh is critical to its taste.

Around here, volume is too high for coffee to sit around. Especially with the $1 cup deal......
Yeah - I don't get where it might be an issue unless you're talking about late at night when fewer people are ordering coffee. I see them poured from traditional glass coffee pots and not from large commercial urns. That's usually gone within 5-8 minutes in mornings but even 15 minutes in late afternoon.

My coffee of choice is Peet's, and in their shops they have timer on top the urns and will pour out any coffee past the timed period.

Don't know how it is now, but years ago McDonald's used to throw out a pot of coffee after 30 minutes, and were supposed to keep a timer on it.

Like all chains and franchises some locations do better than others on compliance. And some companies have stronger contracts and take a much tougher stance with franchisees who don't follow their rules. Coffee became an item of greater importance to McD when they realized th role it played in preserving breakfast business (which also gained renewed attention with the "All Day Breakfast" concept. Back to DD on Amtrak in the Northeast : high brand acceptance and recognition, generally well received. Sure, not to everyone's liking, but when you run something like cafe cars, trying to please everyone is usually impossible or impractical. Way more people will be pleased than the one or two outliers who will now refrain from buying a cup of coffee.

Back