Chi union station food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I was wondering who had the best food inside union station, I like to get a chi style hot dog from from

Gold Coast but I was wondering if I was missing something you could only find at CUS ! it just has to

Taste good , not good for you!!!!!!

Thanks

Trainfan

I LOVE the Cajun grill. They actually serve mostly Chinese food and only a couple Cajun things. The lemon chicken is amazing. A few of us who went to the Chicago Gathering last fall ate about nine pounds of that stuff. I get it every time I go there now.

I also like Metro Deli. They're down by the Great Hall. They have a long buffet of sorts, and you can order some fresh items as well. You can get everything from roast chicken and potatoes to mac & cheese to tuna salad sandwiches.

The Cajun Grill is my lunch place of preference when on a layover. As SarahZ noted, it is mainly an Asian place now...but it's very good all the same. I prefer the bourbon chicken myself, but that's just me.

sarah ben & jerrys is on the corner of haight and ashbury

haight-ashbury-ben-jerrys-15.4.jpg

sarah ben & jerrys is on the corner of haight and ashbury

haight-ashbury-ben-jerrys-15.4.jpg
Yes, we were there during a trip to San Francisco. :) This thread is about food at Chicago Union Station, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We always get a Chicago style hot dog in the food court. The place we go seems tucked back in the corner. Not sure of the name. After picking up our dogs we head to one of the bars for some dark beer to enjoy with our hot dogs.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

I used to love to walk across the river and go into the basement of Sears Tower and get a pastrami and a a corned beef from Mrs. Rosen's to take on the CZ. Alas it is gone, Hide the sharp objects.

We always get a Chicago style hot dog in the food court. The place we go seems tucked back in the corner. Not sure of the name. After picking up our dogs we head to one of the bars for some dark beer to enjoy with our hot dogs.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.
Gold Coast Dogs, I believe

Metro deli is worth a special trip, IMO. Comfort foods....Mac &cheese, mashed potatoes and even some healthier choices:) I head right for that place during a layover.

I enjoyed the Metro Deli on Xmas day.....and I'm hard to please.
So do the 2 Joe's! But they go for the beer special! :p

If one doesn't want to stay in CUS for lunch, Gioardanos is a short 10 minute walk across the river on Jackson IIRC. Great deep dish pizzas! It takes 40 minutes to bake... But the wait is well worth it! :) I recently ordered 2 pizzas on their website and had them shipped to me in the Boston area. Not as good but still killer!

The italian beef sandwich at the Metro deli is really good! You can also walk about 10 minutes over to the Billy Goat Tavern on the corner of Van Buren and Wells and get a damn good "cheeseborger". Giordano's just east of CUS on Jackson is your best bet, though, assuming you have the time.

We really enjoyed the sandwiches we bought at the Corner Bakery. I was going to run up to Mickey D's for a salad and spotted the big sign with the yummy sandwich just outside of the golden arches. I am really glad I went right instead of left.

sorry for replying late, but just wanted to add: there is a great, unique spot for take out (or stay in) on one of the corners east of the station. They have great house made, organic products. I had the turkey sandwich with avocado. Whatever doesn't get sold that day is not saved but donated to the homeless. This place deserves our support. Coffee, sandwiches, salads. Can't think of the name but hope someone reading this does.

While it is interesting to eat "on the floor" at Union Station and watch all the commuters and other travelers scurry about, you can bring your goodies back to the Metropolitan Lounge with you (saves having to buy a drink too).

sorry for replying late, but just wanted to add: there is a great, unique spot for take out (or stay in) on one of the corners east of the station. They have great house made, organic products. I had the turkey sandwich with avocado. Whatever doesn't get sold that day is not saved but donated to the homeless. This place deserves our support. Coffee, sandwiches, salads. Can't think of the name but hope someone reading this does.
I'm not certain, but I think you might be talking about Au Bon Pain (http://aubonpain.com/), they've got a couple of turkey and avocado sandwiches. I'm a fan of the Turkey Cubano sandwich.

Couple of other Good eating Joints Popular with AUers close by Union Station: Google 'em Up!!!

1)Lou Mitchell's 565 W. Jackson Breakfast and Lunch/ There since the 20s/Popular and Tasty and reasonable!

2) Al's Beef 601 W. Adams Lunch/DinnerPopular chain all over the Country but a Chicago Classic!

I LOVE the Cajun grill. They actually serve mostly Chinese food and only a couple Cajun things. The lemon chicken is amazing. A few of us who went to the Chicago Gathering last fall ate about nine pounds of that stuff. I get it every time I go there now.

I also like Metro Deli. They're down by the Great Hall. They have a long buffet of sorts, and you can order some fresh items as well. You can get everything from roast chicken and potatoes to mac & cheese to tuna salad sandwiches.
I'm blaming you for getting me hooked on theCajun Grill! LOL

I have yet to try Metro Deli, I had it in mind when I was down there a few weeks ago, and we were not hungary before we left.

I always get popcorn at "Nuts on Clark" and I get the biggest bag when we leave!

If you have several hours layover, and want a great treat, take the blue line from Clinton station to Logan Square, then the bus a little further up Milwaukee Ave to the Red Apple - polish buffet. (3121 North Milwaukee Ave) I had 5 hours last week between the Lake Shore Limited and Southwest Chief and went up there for a fix of pierogi and kielbasa. YUM

If one just wants a snack, you can't do better than the many varieties of popcorn at Nuts On Clark (down near McDonalds). It's by far the best popcorn I've ever tasted.

Richard Snow

I had SO much fun in there. I must have eaten at 4 or 5 different places because my Empire Builder missed the departure of the Lakeshore Limited. About the only plus in that scenario was a chance to familiarize with Union Depot. Of course, the loss of a day in Toronto offset this, but let's say the day in Union Depot was the lemonade I made. Yeh, only Union Station in Toronto had the food options of Chicago. But I didn't spend that much time in the Toronto station. It did turn out handy, given that so much Toronto transit stops at that station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back