Best U.S. Airline?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen numerous comments condemning United as one of the worst airlines. May I respectfully disagree? I'm not saying they are the best, but I've been a customer of theirs for quite a few years. This year I have made two overseas trips: Phoenix-Edinburgh and return from London, and Phoenix-Munich, continuing on to Bulgaria on Lufthansa, and returning from Oslo. The negatives were things like my reservation was changed returning from Oslo, which I caught weeks in advance, that my connecting flight in Newark returning from Oslo had been rescheduled to leave for Phoenix, before the flight from Oslo arrived, then I changed it online for no fee, so they said, and was charged $300 anyway, which took an involved phone discussion to resolve. Other than that, I found the service on the flights to be on time, competent crews, and decent food. Anyway, while United could stand some improvement, I don't feel they need to be denigrated to such an extent. I called them the other day and had them explain recent nickel and dime changes to the Mileage Plus program. I would have preferred they leave the flight miles alone, but I don't fly that much, and usually use awards to pay for nice hotels.
That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement to me. Who in your mind is a sigificantly worse airline than United?

I also think most of these discussions are somewhat pointless waste of time and hence do not usually participate very actively in them. There will always be Southwest and Jetblue fanbois who will go on and on, and that is just fine as far as I am concerned.
You seem to participate as much as anyone with comments that are every bit as patronizing as the next guy, and that is just fine as far as I'm concerned. :p [SIZE=14.4444446563721px] [/SIZE]

My endorsement of United may not be ringing, but for the most part I have been pleased with their service, including Trans Pacific and Hawaii flights. I definitely do not feel that they are so awful.

LH from MUC to SOF does leave a lot to be desired with the lack of in-flight entertainment. Unless of course you're on the late flight and have the belligerent drunk a few rows behind you trying to provide his best version of entertainment...means I'm flying Turkish on my next flight to SOF (SFO-IST-SOF.)

LH from MUC to SOF does leave a lot to be desired with the lack of in-flight entertainment. Unless of course you're on the late flight and have the belligerent drunk a few rows behind you trying to provide his best version of entertainment...means I'm flying Turkish on my next flight to SOF (SFO-IST-SOF.)
FRA-IAH a couple months ago had plenty of AVOD on the A380. And, to be fair to the United fans, so did IAH-LHR on UA.

FRA-IAH a couple months ago had plenty of AVOD on the A380. And, to be fair to the United fans, so did IAH-LHR on UA.
To be fair the A340-6 from SFO-MUC had plenty of AVOD. It was the A320 from MUC-SOF that the entertainment had to be provided by the passengers as I was being specific to the MUC-SOF route. But they did get us there with German efficiency.

Next year i am due to fly Delta, Hawaiian, Air Canada, Jetblue & probably Sun Country.

what i found strange searching through them all is taht only the low cost airlines offer a free checked bags, and the bigger more expensive airlines do not. it's completely the other way round in europe!

I primarily fly Delta just because it had the best prices between NY and New Orleans when I had to travel quite a bit between the two. Now that I have so many Delta skymiles, I just keep flying Delta to get more/redeem them! I do like Southwest because I always get amazing flight attendants... but for some reason Southwest flights always have the worst turbulence when I'm on them. I know it has nothing to do with the airline, it's just something that gets into the back of my head now.

My endorsement of United may not be ringing, but for the most part I have been pleased with their service, including Trans Pacific and Hawaii flights. I definitely do not feel that they are so awful.
Try those TransPac flights on Asiana, Korean Air, Singapore, or Cathay Pacific, then try it again on United. Then you'll see why people have lower views of United.

Back