Basketball Charter Train Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitRider

Service Attendant
Folks,

I have reserved a private charter train event for this late August and will be leaving FLL and the group of 509 people will be onboard heading to WAS for a regional basketball tourney and if we advanced, we will charter again up to BOS.

The 57 people are players, coaches, assistants and others. The rest are fans.

I was granted 3 PD40 Locomotive, 2 Baggage Cars, 3 Lounge Cars and 12 Coach Cars total. We will have a one hour stop Florence, SC for crew change and refueling.

Roundtrip price tag including everything cost us nearly $142,000.

Do you think this would be a fun trip? Do you think Amtrak will run on route where Silver Meteor goes? Could I request to run on FEC lne to save 6 1/2 hours off our time since it would cost more?

Look forward to this big charter train in our history.

~J

Folks,
I have reserved a private charter train event for this late August and will be leaving FLL and the group of 509 people will be onboard heading to WAS for a regional basketball tourney and if we advanced, we will charter again up to BOS.

I was granted 3 PD40 Locomotive, 2 Baggage Cars, 3 Lounge Cars and 12 Coach Cars total. We will have a one hour stop Florence, SC for crew change and refueling.

Do you think this would be a fun trip? Do you think Amtrak will run on route where Silver Meteor goes? Could I request to run on FEC lne to save 6 1/2 hours off our time since it would cost more?

~J
Sounds like a real adventure! I do wonder why yall need two baggage cars since many LD trains carry more passengers and have only one?Also the three lounge cars, do you know if they will be cafe/ lounges and have they indicated what kind of coaches you will have? (Amfleet or Horizon??). I doubt if yall can use the FEC since tests are being run to get it ready for use by passenger trains and this is an involved procedure! You can ask Amtrak if they will follow the Meteor or the Star route since both end up going through Washington with the Meteor being faster since it bypasses Tampa. The cost works out to less than $300 a head which isnt bad for this trip! Also, have they indicated if they will have food available or are yall going to supply your own, attendants and conductors and engineers will be included, they will be changed out @the crew stop just like the AutoTrain! Have fun,hope yall Win and advance! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks,

~J
Sounds like a real adventure! I do wonder why yall need two baggage cars since many LD trains carry more passengers and have only one?Also the three lounge cars, do you know if they will be cafe/ lounges and have they indicated what kind of coaches you will have? (Amfleet or Horizon??). I doubt if yall can use the FEC since tests are being run to get it ready for use by passenger trains and this is an involved procedure! You can ask Amtrak if they will follow the Meteor or the Star route since both end up going through Washington with the Meteor being faster since it bypasses Tampa. The cost works out to less than $300 a head which isnt bad for this trip! Also, have they indicated if they will have food available or are yall going to supply your own, attendants and conductors and engineers will be included, they will be changed out @ crew stops just like regular LD trains! Have fun,hope yall Win and advance! ;)
The reason of two baggage cars because we will be carry many bags, boxeds and stuff, save frieght money :)

3 lounge cars, we will supply our own food to these people. We will be having Amfleet most. I refused Horizon cars. They will follow my request.

I request them to run where Meteor goes because once we leave FLL, we will go express non-stop to WAS. I think if I want to run on FEC line, it would cost more and more time and approval and all that.

The amfleet II cars are built for long distance service. If you can ID these cars ahead of time you can put the teamin these cars. They'll benefit from the extra space. Hope u all win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back