Bad Experience on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: error, spell check dosen't work.
Clearly not. :D

Swadian we don't need to know the need for the edit. If you need to make it, just make it.
Actually, sometimes it is nice to know why someone changed their post so that you know what is different.

That said, there is actually a special box below the regular typing box to put the reason in. That way the reason doesn't show up as part of the actual post when people go to quote it.
I cannot find the special boz, I would have used it if I knew what it was. The reason for me writing the reason for edit is due to compalaints about too much editing.

Yes my spell check does not work because it gives me the message "ieSpell was not detected".

edit: error, spell check dosen't work.
Clearly not. :D

Swadian we don't need to know the need for the edit. If you need to make it, just make it.
Actually, sometimes it is nice to know why someone changed their post so that you know what is different.

That said, there is actually a special box below the regular typing box to put the reason in. That way the reason doesn't show up as part of the actual post when people go to quote it.
I cannot find the special boz, I would have used it if I knew what it was. The reason for me writing the reason for edit is due to compalaints about too much editing.

Yes my spell check does not work because it gives me the message "ieSpell was not detected".
OK that's fine, it's not really important. I was just laughing about how you should have edited your edit :)

I think that what Swadian is trying to get across is that if you click on the spell check icon in the edit box it does not work. It has worked in the past for me, but not now.

Also in the past I have never had a "reason for edit box" poopup and lord knows I need it with arthritic and locking fingers I have made not only my share but also probably hundreds of others share of typo's.

oldtimer

PS I couldn't use spell check for the above stated reason but: Eye no eye maid know miss steaks!

:help: :wacko: :giggle: :help:

I think that what Swadian is trying to get across is that if you click on the spell check icon in the edit box it does not work. It has worked in the past for me, but not now.

Also in the past I have never had a "reason for edit box" poopup and lord knows I need it with arthritic and locking fingers I have made not only my share but also probably hundreds of others share of typo's.

oldtimer

PS I couldn't use spell check for the above stated reason but: Eye no eye maid know miss steaks!

If you switch to Google Chrome it has spell check built right in and highlights incorrectly spelled words as you type. Right click on that word and it gives you the correct spelling. and, you can add proper names to the dictionary. There are some other technical reason to use other than IE, too.

oldtimer

If you switch to Google Chrome it has spell check built right in and highlights incorrectly spelled words as you type. Right click on that word and it gives you the correct spelling. and, you can add proper names to the dictionary. There are some other technical reason to use other than IE, too.
Firefox is similar to Chrome in the spellcheck functionality, though I think Chrome is probably less bloated than Firefox at present. But then again I use some Firefox plugins which I can't get for Chrome, so I mostly still use Firefox.

Didn't you know that IE is the number one browser for downloading a better browser? :p

My husband and I took the Amtrak train to Chicago on July 17th, returning 12:30pm Friday, July 20th. Going to Chicago took us 5 hours, which was fine. The return trip was over 10 hours, which was just horrible. The train was to arrive in Royal Oak at 7:05 pm, but it did not arrive until 10:45pm.It was stopped three times, in which we had to wait over 45 minutes each time.

The conductors kept saying this was very unusual, but after we returned we heard stories from friends that their train was held up 12 hours, 8 hours, etc. Amtrak customer service is horrible and we will never ride Amtrak again. We will tell our 1000 friends on Facebook not to ride Amtrak, and I am sure they will tell their friends. If Amtrak can't do something about these delays you should do your customers a big favor and go out of business. You government should hire different staff who actually care about people. To be cooped up on a train for ten hours is inhumane to us and all the passengers who rode with us. We were all very upset.

We would like to ask for a refund of our $70 return trip. We were told Amtrak never gives refunds.We don't want a voucher because we will never ride our train again. If you don't refund our money, your company should be ashamed of themselves. You should try being stuck on a train and see how it makes you feel.
What!! being stuck on a train is awesome :lol: My saying is,: "the later it is the longer you can stay on the train!"

As for being unusual, yes this is unusual. Seriously, Don't spoil amtrak for the other people. Just because you had 1 bad experience doesn't mean that Amtrak is crap. Give it a second try! On our first ever train trip, the train was cancelled. :( We were really annoyed (like the way you feel, yet worse), but you can't blame 'em, they don't own the tracks etc. It is like lighting, you can't stop it. Luckily, Amtrak has worked out for us every other time for us. Yes probably the odds of it being that late are maybe 1 in 200???

There are always stories of it being late, but I'm guessing those were from the web. We go to Germany, England, Florida, Every where, but nothing beats a ride on amtrak in our opinion.

Please don't spoil the most scenic and leisurely form of transport for every one though :unsure: , give it a second try and you will love it.

This is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I have a question:

I am currently sitting on a stuck train (the Amtrak Cascades, from PDX to SEA). We have been sitting for over 2 hours on the bridge over the Columbia River waiting for a replacement engine. The conductor has kept us very informed that the problem is definitely due to the engine breaking down ("it's dead in the water," he said, while we're stuck above a river :) ). It broke down about 5 minutes out of the station. If the replacement engine arrives when he has said it should arrive, we look to be delayed by about three hours for a 3.5 hour trip.

I ride this train a lot and have never had any significant problems, so I am likely to ride it again, despite today's issue. How likely am I to get a voucher for this if I call Amtrak Customer Service? Anyone have any experience for an issue that is clearly at Amtrak's fault -- namely, a maintenance issue?

I ride this train a lot and have never had any significant problems, so I am likely to ride it again, despite today's issue. How likely am I to get a voucher for this if I call Amtrak Customer Service? Anyone have any experience for an issue that is clearly at Amtrak's fault -- namely, a maintenance issue?
I'd say you have a decent chance at getting a voucher for at least part of the fare paid. It is clearly Amtrak's fault.

Thanks for the fast replies and the information! I'll give them a call when I get back home.

If you contact Customer Service and explain calmly and clearly what happened (including date and train number), and leave out statements like ”I will NEVER ride Amtrak again!", it is very likely!
Why would somebody requesting a voucher toward FUTURE travel claim they would NEVER ride Amtrak again?! :blink:

If you contact Customer Service and explain calmly and clearly what happened (including date and train number), and leave out statements like ”I will NEVER ride Amtrak again!", it is very likely!
Why would somebody requesting a voucher toward FUTURE travel claim they would NEVER ride Amtrak again?! :blink:
That seems to be the point.

This person did not say, I will never ride Amtrak again. Instead they said that they would probably ride it again.

This person did not say, I will never ride Amtrak again. Instead they said that they would probably ride it again.
I know! That IS the point! The point is that if you say you are not going to ride Amtrak again, they will not give you a voucher! Nor will they give a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back