Bad Experience on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said! Totally agree, except I'm confused about the "15 flight" part. Does that mean "15 hour flight" or "Flight 15" or something else?

edit: error, spell check dosen't work.
D'oh, I meant 15 hour flight, sorry for the confusion. I had a connection into that 15 hour flight, so I was actually travelling for 5 hours before that 15 hours then adding the 11 hours and even though it's 5 days later, I'm still feeling a bit wrecked!
Thanks for the clarification. Intercontinental flights can be bad even without delays. Do you know why the plane was delayed? Maybe we can compare it to Amtrak delays.

To the OP so you givin' Up on amtrak after 1 trip. Are you going to fly everywhere from now on? What happens if you're on a flight to say detroit from LAX and your stuck on the tarmac at LAX for 5 hours with no access to food or water due to thunderstorms in detroit. You going to give up flying also?

Last edited by a moderator:
We were all diverted due to thick fog in Sydney. It's pretty rare, so I was unlucky. Our pilot warned us just before landing, he tried landing once but had to abort at about 1000ft. Since they didn't know about the fog ahead of time (it's rare) we didn't have enough fuel to mess around waiting, we had to go straight to Brisbane. Of course, everyone else was going there too (I think some flights diverted to Melbourne) and Brisbane just does not have the capacity to deal with so many extra flights all at once, so we had to sit on the tarmac for nearly 2 hours before we got a gate. Then we cleared immigration, customs & quarantine, transferred to the domestic terminal and had to be rebooked on flights to where ever our final destination was supposed to be (people who had connecting flights from Sydney weren't automatically sent back to Sydney, if they didn't need to be). I was originally given a one pm flight but I gave it up to travel with my younger sister, so that the other sister could go on to her final destination without going via Sydney. The 2pm flight we got ended up leaving at 4pm, because inbound aircraft were delayed by late departures out of Sydney.

The fog was unusually heavy, is rare in the first place and hadn't been predicted when we departed LA. So it was one of those situations that was not in the slightest the fault of the airline, but they had to deal with all the grumpiness. We got given vouchers for food - three each at $8 per voucher, probably could've grabbed more as they weren't being stingy with them - and lots of sympathy. And of course, we got home safe and sound.

To the OP so you givin' Up on amtrak after 1 trip. Are you going to fly everywhere from now on? What happens if you're on a fight to say detroit from LAX and your stuck on the tarmac at LAX for 5 hours with no access to food or water due to thunderstorms in detroit. You going to give up flying also?
Excuse me, but a fight? This is fight or flight?

Most delays are beyond the control of Amtrak. You didn't mention if the Conductor made an announcement for the reason of your delay. I think an extended delay should be addressed by the Conductor.

My first trip on the CZ became a re-route through Wyoming when UP was doing track work. I was extremely disappointed to have missed the most scenic part over the Rockies. I have since put all this in perspective because the rest of my journey was fabulous from Seattle to Santa Barbara on the CS and Chicago to Seattle on the EB.

Since then, my train friends who follow railroading with a passion are jealous that I got to ride a re-route that the usual Amtrak rider doesn't get to see. LOL

I'm excited because I'm flying down to Reno to get on the CZ once again and ride through to Denver over the Rockies!

I do hope you will reconsider riding Amtrak again :)

You can run into the same kind of delays flying or taking the bus or even driving. Stuff happens. That said it is very frustrating when your train is substantially delayed. It's like you are being held 'prisoner' and there is no escape. I enjoy riding trains also, but, call me old fashion, but I expect them to be on time.

Yes, delays are very inconvenient and often uncomfortable. The only way to avoid the unforeseen while traveling is to stay home.

I have probably taken Amtrak 100 times and have had only two delays of over a couple of hours. Maybe just good luck, or maybe it's that people complain about severe delays but the other thousands of people that ride Amtrak every day don't expound to their 1000 Facebook friends that there train was once again on time.

Who gives you a refund when you're caught in a traffic jam on the interstate?

Sorry, ZERO sympathy from me.

Things happen..... like my BIG delay going to Kalamazoo to catch the Wolverine to go to Chicago to take the CONO for a New Orleans getaway.

We just pulled out of the driveway, just 1/2 block away from home - got t-boned by a stop sign runner, car was totaled but, unbelievably, neither of us were injured.

After all the police and towing stuff.... walked back home, checked the train status - train was running a couple of hours late due to the slow orders this past spring.... YAY!

Grabbed the other car, husband drove me to New Buffalo, I caught the Wolverine and had a great time in NOLO.

Like I said, things happen.

Do people actually believe that companies of any kind make bad things happen just so they can spend unnecessary resources fixing them and dealing with complaints?

Does this particular complainer think that the crew was delaying the train because they wanted to?

Exactly what did they expect to be done?

I don't get all of the complaining about things not going perfectly.

I LOVE the train but I don't bother to tell anyone how great I think it is anymore.

People are way too spoiled, entitled, narcissistic, and high maintenance - my husband is one of them and I don't care if he rides or not - I enjoy all of my solo trips without the extra added burden of a person like that.

The world does not revolve around you, your schedule, life, or your idea of comfort.

Seriously, drive your car or fly - no guarantees in life no matter what you do.

Like I said, things happen.

I don't get all of the complaining about things not going perfectly.

The world does not revolve around you, your schedule, life, or your idea of comfort.
I think by now our posts are lost on the OP, but these are good comments for many forum members as well. Thanks, JoanieB

Considering the number of posts that originate from the errors of folk thinking this is THE Amtrak site, is it not time to EMPHASISE the point that we are NOT AMTRAK

Ed :cool:

As others have mentioned I also don't expect this person to come back but at any rate, if they do;

I would encourage you to call Amtrak Customer Service at 1-800 USA-RAIL. No they will not give you a refund. However as many other forum members here can attest your trip is not typical but it does happen. You should take the voucher and give Amtrak another chance.

From me personally, I'm sorry you had a bad experience on what appears to be your first Amtrak train ride. If you ever do ride the train again, and if you ever take a trip on the Empire Builder, give me a heads up here before the trip and I'll try to make it up somehow.
Wow!! That is going above and beyond, great customer service!!!! I hope the OP takes you up on your offer. A bad experience can be turned into a lifelong customer with this type of attitude. You are to be commended.

My husband and I took the Amtrak train to Chicago on July 17th, returning 12:30pm Friday, July 20th. Going to Chicago took us 5 hours, which was fine. The return trip was over 10 hours, which was just horrible. The train was to arrive in Royal Oak at 7:05 pm, but it did not arrive until 10:45pm.It was stopped three times, in which we had to wait over 45 minutes each time.

The conductors kept saying this was very unusual, but after we returned we heard stories from friends that their train was held up 12 hours, 8 hours, etc. Amtrak customer service is horrible and we will never ride Amtrak again. We will tell our 1000 friends on Facebook not to ride Amtrak, and I am sure they will tell their friends. If Amtrak can’t do something about these delays you should do your customers a big favor and go out of business. You government should hire different staff who actually care about people. To be cooped up on a train for ten hours is inhumane to us and all the passengers who rode with us. We were all very upset.

We would like to ask for a refund of our $70 return trip. We were told Amtrak never gives refunds.We don’t want a voucher because we will never ride our train again. If you don’t refund our money, your company should be ashamed of themselves. You should try being stuck on a train and see how it makes you feel.
You never want to be in a hurry riding AMTRAK.Yes,the customer service is just awful,you can not get through.

Considering the number of posts that originate from the errors of folk thinking this is THE Amtrak site, is it not time to EMPHASISE the point that we are NOT AMTRAK

So why are we not doing it? How do we do it?

:)

As others have mentioned I also don't expect this person to come back but at any rate, if they do;

I would encourage you to call Amtrak Customer Service at 1-800 USA-RAIL. No they will not give you a refund. However as many other forum members here can attest your trip is not typical but it does happen. You should take the voucher and give Amtrak another chance.

From me personally, I'm sorry you had a bad experience on what appears to be your first Amtrak train ride. If you ever do ride the train again, and if you ever take a trip on the Empire Builder, give me a heads up here before the trip and I'll try to make it up somehow.
Wow!! That is going above and beyond, great customer service!!!! I hope the OP takes you up on your offer. A bad experience can be turned into a lifelong customer with this type of attitude. You are to be commended.
Yes, but what do you work as on the EB?

It's transportation. Stuff happens. I've had planes cancelled, and arrive hours late. I've had my car break down. I've had motorcycle problems. Yes, one can even can get delayed when traveling by train. What a surprise.

So why are we not doing it? How do we do it?

:)

Yes, but what do you work as on the EB?
If your question is directed at me, then I am an OBS supervisor and my immediate direct report is to the Train Manager.

I'm glad none of us are Amtrak Customer Service. LOL.
laugh.gif

I've always worked with the public my whole life in managerial/owner positions - retail
blink.gif

As an owner, I have never once refused a reasonable request.

The woman who tried to return a faux berry wreath where the berries basically exploded because she went on vacation in the middle of the summer and turned her air off ?

Sorry, I can't lose money because you're clueless, especially when you tell me that, because of the heat, your kitchen cabinet doors cracked.

My personal feeling is that it's not worth it to pay / lose money to keep an unreasonable customer with unrealistic expectations.

I just read a post from the executive cruise director of a cruise line addressing a complaint from someone complaining about the 5 days of rain on their cruise.

The passenger felt that an appropriate apology for the weather would have been the cruise line opening the bars for free for 3000 passengers.
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
ohmy.gif

I also just read a 1star review of a product that specified 'clean professionally'.

The customer complained that the item was ruined and frayed after only one washing - maybe she thought 'clean professionally' entailed wearing a suit and holding a clipboard when she threw it in the wash
rolleyes.gif

My husband and I took the Amtrak train to Chicago on July 17th, returning 12:30pm Friday, July 20th. Going to Chicago took us 5 hours, which was fine. The return trip was over 10 hours, which was just horrible. The train was to arrive in Royal Oak at 7:05 pm, but it did not arrive until 10:45pm.It was stopped three times, in which we had to wait over 45 minutes each time.

The conductors kept saying this was very unusual, but after we returned we heard stories from friends that their train was held up 12 hours, 8 hours, etc. Amtrak customer service is horrible and we will never ride Amtrak again. We will tell our 1000 friends on Facebook not to ride Amtrak, and I am sure they will tell their friends. If Amtrak can’t do something about these delays you should do your customers a big favor and go out of business. You government should hire different staff who actually care about people. To be cooped up on a train for ten hours is inhumane to us and all the passengers who rode with us. We were all very upset.

We would like to ask for a refund of our $70 return trip. We were told Amtrak never gives refunds.We don’t want a voucher because we will never ride our train again. If you don’t refund our money, your company should be ashamed of themselves. You should try being stuck on a train and see how it makes you feel.
You never want to be in a hurry riding AMTRAK.Yes,the customer service is just awful,you can not get through.
The customer service isn't awful.. Their are SOME bad apples. But I've had about 90% or more of my trips I've had great Service, and those people make me want to come back! :)

It's transportation. Stuff happens. I've had planes cancelled, and arrive hours late. I've had my car break down. I've had motorcycle problems. Yes, one can even can get delayed when traveling by train. What a surprise.
I had the Greyhound trip from Hell many years back. It was the driver's first time out without his trainer and he was petrified. We were traveling down the interstate and he stopped at literally every rest stop along the way (apprently had a case of the runs). He then got off the wrong exit for DC and wound up driving around on some God forsaken dark, dreary streets. I admit, I was now petrified. The driver refused to call for assistance as he was afraid that he'd lose his job. We had a connection that we needed to make in DC and time was ticking. Finally some Greyhound route regulars moved up to the seat behind him and guided him into the station. Who'd have thought that a 4 hour layover from Jersey to DC could be eatten away by a novice driver? Our bus was loading as we arrived. We were just lucky that some regulars were able to convince him to allow them to direct him in.

Things happen. In the Greyhound situation it was totally controllable by Greyhound (don't send a novice out when he's not ready). With Amtrak in the op it was clearly weather related and out of the control of earthly inhabitants.

I thought of this thread today. I got delayed walking because they made us use the other side of the road because they were digging up the pavement on our side. In 7 years i'd never walked on the other side of the street
laugh.gif
. Wasted valuable moments crossing over and back and nearly missed my train- it was on time!

I thought of this thread today. I got delayed walking because they made us use the other side of the road because they were digging up the pavement on our side. In 7 years i'd never walked on the other side of the street
laugh.gif
. Wasted valuable moments crossing over and back and nearly missed my train- it was on time!
:D

Did you receive an email or phone call letting you know that you would be delayed getting to your train? :help: :lol:

Our first train was round trip from Peoria, Il (bus to Indy) on Cardinal to NYC. Coming home we were so late that we missed out bus connection back to Peoria. We would have had to wait four hours for the bus. Ended up cancelling the bus portion (got our money back) and rented a car home. Got home in approximately three hours or so and even had a quick breakfast. After that, we haven't been really late on any of our trains. Another time we took the train to LA. Our daughter flew. She was delayed a lot. We got there early on the train.

edit: error, spell check dosen't work.
Clearly not. :D

Swadian we don't need to know the need for the edit. If you need to make it, just make it.
Actually, sometimes it is nice to know why someone changed their post so that you know what is different.

That said, there is actually a special box below the regular typing box to put the reason in. That way the reason doesn't show up as part of the actual post when people go to quote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back