Amtrak ticketing to be integrated into iPhone Passbook?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the iPhones they are using actually use the camera to read bar codes and not a red laser like the Quicktrak and other bar code scanners. That way it can be read off of screens.

Lasers can read bar codes off phone screens just fine, as I can tell you from successfully using a code on my iPhone screen to board airplanes. (Jis mentioned the same, earlier in this thread.)
Not all of them can as the Quicktrack machines have not been able to. Either way, I still believe it is using the camera to scan.

I suspect the iPhones they are using actually use the camera to read bar codes and not a red laser like the Quicktrak and other bar code scanners. That way it can be read off of screens.

Lasers can read bar codes off phone screens just fine, as I can tell you from successfully using a code on my iPhone screen to board airplanes. (Jis mentioned the same, earlier in this thread.)
I believe the devices used at airports are imagers, not scanners. They process an image of the barcode, not a reflection of the barcode. Conventional laser barcode readers process the reflection of the printed code. A smartphone screen is glass covered and reflects the laser back without regard to the image being displayed. A imager overcomes that by taking what amounts to a photo of the displayed barcode and uses that stored image to process the code.

Amtrak QuikTrak machines use laser barcode readers. I can state from personal experimentation, they will not read an Amtrak barcode off a phone screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can barcodes be successfully/reliably scanned off the iPhone's display?

I know that this was the "Achilles Heel" in past attempts to do such with cell phones.
The peripheral device being used with the iPhone is what is reading the barcodes and QR codes. When the phone and attached device is used to scan the code, it is aimed top-end toward the code, not face-on like when a photo is being taken. If I am not mistaken, the add-on device used by Amtrak actually covers the iPhone camera lens.

Amtrak QuikTrak machines use laser barcode readers. I can state from personal experimentation, they will not read an Amtrak barcode off a phone screen.
OK, so then they blew it I suppose. Still one step behind the airlines as it would seem :(
The QuikTraks are so 2000's. This generation of the QT was probably deployed before the iPhone started the smartphone revolution. One thing about adopting technology, in short order your decision will seem obsolete.

The peripheral device being used with the iPhone is what is reading the barcodes and QR codes. When the phone and attached device is used to scan the code, it is aimed top-end toward the code, not face-on like when a photo is being taken. If I am not mistaken, the add-on device used by Amtrak actually covers the iPhone camera lens.
Then I wonder if it is some device that reflects the image into the camera or the camera circuitry. If the device can scan QR codes, it would need to be some sort of optical scanner.

Then I wonder if it is some device that reflects the image into the camera or the camera circuitry. If the device can scan QR codes, it would need to be some sort of optical scanner.
The device being used with the iPhone is a Linea Pro 4 MSR 2D case. It includes the 2D barcode reader, a magnetic stripe credit card reader, and a battery. It is the same basic iPhone device used at the Apple Stores.

So it's out! Anyone else install iOS 6 yet?

I'm underwhelmed by Passbook out of the gate. Apparently each individual app needs to be update to be Passbook compatible, and right now the list of apps is pretty small.

Still a very cool concept, but at least at the rollout the utility of this isn't as great as I had hoped.

Anyone else anxiously tracking their iPhone 5? Mine's still sitting in Louisville...

So it's out! Anyone else install iOS 6 yet?

I'm underwhelmed by Passbook out of the gate. Apparently each individual app needs to be update to be Passbook compatible, and right now the list of apps is pretty small.

Still a very cool concept, but at least at the rollout the utility of this isn't as great as I had hoped.

Anyone else anxiously tracking their iPhone 5? Mine's still sitting in Louisville...
Loaded up yesterday. Still cannot seem to make the Passbook app do anything. I only get an Apps Store option when launched, then it tells me Cannot connect to iTunes Store.

Loaded up yesterday. Still cannot seem to make the Passbook app do anything. I only get an Apps Store option when launched, then it tells me Cannot connect to iTunes Store.
Just found a fix. Turn off automatic time setting and change the year to 2013. Open app, close it. Turn auto time back on. Now it works.

Just found a fix. Turn off automatic time setting and change the year to 2013. Open app, close it. Turn auto time back on. Now it works.
This isn't working for me... :-(

There are third party apps available already for Android (so I guess for iPhone too) that can "wake you" before your destination approaches. iNap: Arrival Alert is one, there are several others, though I haven't used any so can't comment how accurate they are. So yea, it shouldn't be difficult for Amtrak to add such a feature in their native app if they desire so.
Such apps would be way more useful, if they had an Amtrak station directory, from which you could select your destination. Anywhere on the Earth, is just to broad of a domain to quickly select your destination from.

EDIT: Maybe what I want, is such an app that can read in, and use, an Amtrak Station POI file.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to upgrade to iOS 6 and lose google maps. Folks with an iPhone 4, if you upgrade your software, does google maps go away?

I don't want to upgrade to iOS 6 and lose google maps. Folks with an iPhone 4, if you upgrade your software, does google maps go away?
Yes, Google Maps is replaced by Apple Maps with upgrade to iOS 6, including on iPhone 3Gs and 4. On iPhone 3Gs and 4, turn-by-turn navigation and flyover are not available.

For all of the internet rage, Apple Maps don't seem to be noticeably worse than Google Maps for me.

Also, Google Maps are still available by pointing Safari at maps.google.com.

I am so sick of hearing about this brand that I was an apple was just a forbidden fruit on a tree in Eden. Or the main ingredient in my grandfather's pie.

I am sure over time, there will be updates for stores and Amtrak to able to use the Passbook. I looked at the new map, and I'm ok with it..

I did get Target on my passbook.

Yes. Goes away on all phones that upgrade to iOS6. It has been reported that Google already has a replacement app submitted. Just waiting for Apple to approve it.

It doesn't go away, you just have to use Safari to get to it. It isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty darn close.
Well, yes it does. The native APP does go away.

What you are referring to is a web app. And yes, it is similar, but not near as good as the native app was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back