Amtrak Ski Train March 14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Superliners are in use for the ski train, assumed it would be some old Horizon Coaches that seem to be the norm for charters like that like the Reno Fun Train.

Superliners probably have better ski facilities than Horizons. Here's a question: did Amtrak use the coach-baggage combo cars? Because I would have, for a ski train. (I see that the answer is yes, 4 regular coaches and 3 coach-bags.) The lower level walk-in baggage compartment is very convenient for all those skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to those walk in baggage rooms in the coach-baggage cars, all Superliner cars have "utility compartments" at the ends of the cars over the wheels, that extend the full width of the car. These are also good for loading skis into...

I saw #5(12) at Agency, Iowa this evening. AMTK 42, the Veterans unit, and 187 appear to be the power for the Ski Train. Seven Superliners will be behind them. Looks like four coaches and three baggage-coaches.
Great video! Thanks for posting. I like the way the sun catches the consist as it rounds the corner at the end.

Just for info, I remember that a friend and I went to Essex, MT and he had skis. We had a roomette, and if memory serves me correctly, one of the sleepers had a baggage compartment that held his skis. Is my memory correct?

This was the scene yesterday when people where on the platform in Winter Park for the Ski Train, but it was the California Zephyr that was coming through.

Awesome video! I was in the rear sleeper. :)

In addition to those walk in baggage rooms in the coach-baggage cars, all Superliner cars have "utility compartments" at the ends of the cars over the wheels, that extend the full width of the car. These are also good for loading skis into...

Just for info, I remember that a friend and I went to Essex, MT and he had skis. We had a roomette, and if memory serves me correctly, one of the sleepers had a baggage compartment that held his skis. Is my memory correct?
The sleepers do not have a baggage room like the Coach-Baggage cars. They may have a few racks in the vestibule area, and then there are the compartments that I mentioned above.....

From a friend on Facebook:

Just back from the second run of the Winter Park Excursion. Exhausted but "happy tired." Today we carried 439 skiers and snowboarders up and back including families, expert snow boarders and recreational skiers. There are a myriad of photos to post when I find time but imagine nothing but smiles when we helped folks off the train tonight at Denver Union Station and a lot of thanks, both ways!

Tonight, several ColoRail members and Amtrak folks had a toast across the street at the Wynkoop Brewery after we locked up the train. Isn't that prophetic in a way! 25 years ago this is where ColoRail was founded when a City of Denver representative came to a "Save our Station" meeting and told our predecessors, "the plan to raze the station is dead." The members raised a toast and then said: "now we have to save the trains!"

Here's hoping!

Talks are planned next month about the possibility of resuming ski train service to Winter Park. About 900 people rode the train to the resort over the weekend for a special run to celebrate Winter Park's 75th anniversary. Amtrak's route director for the train, Jim Brzezinski, told The Denver Post that the sold-out run was "an absolute success" and said Amtrak would work very hard to operate the train again next season. Winter Park president Gary DeFrange says he knows there will be some hurdles but says he's "pretty confident we will get something going." The train stopped running in 2009 because of high insurance and other costs.
Source: http://www.9news.com/story/news/travel/2015/03/16/possible-ski-train-return/24848595/

Another local report (with video) http://kdvr.com/2015/03/14/local-amtrak-ski-train-visits-winter-park-again-after-5-years-off/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and I have used thise compartments with my skis on #5 and #6, but the compartments hold many pairs.

More feedback from Colorado:

Upon discussing last week's Ski Train journey with several professional skiers from Boulder, Colorado, the following thoughts have surfaced regarding the demise of the original service. There is a strong opinion amongst some NW Denver and Boulder, Colorado riders of the "former Ski Train", that the service began to decline and run into financial difficulties as early as the 1984 timeframe.

It appears that until at least 1984, Ski Train once ran with two stations, downtown Denver and a secondary "station" stop at Coal Creek Rd and Colorado 93. There, a parking lot and boarding area was positioned next to a siding to park Ski Train off the main line during on-loading/off-loading. The Coal Creek stop was wildly popular with skiers from northwest Denver and Boulder because they wouldn't have to drive to downtown Denver to catch the train. All they had to do was go to the Coal Creek boarding area, park, board the train and go. Basically, the only setback was sometimes the train would be overrun with rowdy children who boarded in Denver, many without adult supervision. So at times there was a bit of a clash between those that boarded at Coal Creek and people that took up all of the "2 seater" spots on the train.

Regardless of the financial climate, the recent performance of Ski Train is an example of what the service could be again...

If there was an option to run the train on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Denver to WIP (and Kremerling for the Steamboat crowd meeting shuttle busses) and include a stop at Coal Creek for the Boulderites, the Ski Train could be a huge success.. again.. Perhaps extra cars reserved for the Coal Creek passengers could be the touch needed to draw passengers from the Boulder and Broomfield areas.

Actually, the Ski Train if showcased correctly, could be a really savvy public relations device for Amtrak, to be used in getting more potential CZ and SWC riders from the Denver/Colorado Springs metro areas eastbound and westbound.

Just when did the Ski Train make at stop where you indicated? I rode it many times in the late '70's and early '80's, and I don't recall such a stop.

As for the children on board....the reason the original ski train even ran, was because it was basically chartered for by the youth oriented Eskimo Ski Club....

That may have all changed later on, when Anschutz acquired the D&RGW and the Tempo cars replaced the original heavyweights....I did not ride it in that latter era....

Railiner, good points:

I am not sure of the specific times of operation of a previous Ski Train stop at Coal Creek Canyon Road en route from Denver to/from Winter Park/Frasier. However, based upon what I've been told, it appears that there was at one point in time, a very popular intermediate stop that accommodated many skiers from NW Denver and Boulder.

For brainstorming purposes, let's look at the current and future possibilities for a potential new Ski Train service:

1. The "Coal Creek/Colorado 93" crossing area is a really good potential "central" location for many suburbanites to board future Ski Trains.

2. Such a proposed location would draw park n' ride patrons from Lakewood - Arvada - Westminster - Golden - Boulder - Lafayette - Broomfield, etc., because it would "save time and hassle of going downtown" to catch Ski Train. Patrons would arrive at "the Coal Creek/CO 93 station" after an easy drive to that location on either northbound or southbound Colorado 93. To ensure seating, space could be blocked on certain Amtrak cars for such patrons.

3. A reasonable target market exists for potential patrons of Ski Train beyond the "day tripping" skiers and snowboarders.

4. A proposed, new Ski Train service should consider a larger consist and a Friday/Saturday/Sunday round trip service calling on Denver - "Coal Creek/CO 93" - Winter Park/Frasier and extending the service to at least Tabernash, and possibly Kremmling, Colorado.

5. Such an extended service could use ie: Tabernash as a "northern" terminal to serve other locations from the Ski Train by shuttle bus. Such locations could be the major resort at Steamboat, to various nearby areas such as Devils Thumb Ranch and Spa in Tabernash. There could be ample business from Nordic skiers, snow-shoers, hikers and birdwatchers, among others who just want to escape for the weekend and sit outside in a hot-tub watching the stars at 1 am. Such a service could draw patrons from other parts of the USA.

6. There is an amazing opportunity to benefit from creative Friday-Sunday "Train and Ski" packages and "Train and Stay" to entice riders to and from Denver and suburbia. I envision wintersport-industry people getting really involved with such a concept.

7. A proposed, new Ski Train should have an SSL and offer beverages and snacks.

If Amtrak plans and executes such a Colorado Ski Train concept well, it would not only make some money, but be an incredible PR tool for other Amtrak services.

As Amtrak is considering a new Ski Train service in Denver, should they also consider at some point re-inventing the WAS/NYP - Vermont Ski Train?

Last edited:
Yes, if one looks at Google, Tabernash, Colorado has a nice Wye area. I understand Ski Train has previously been turned and serviced there.

Last edited:
Restoring train service to Winter Park

WINTER PARK, Colo. – Will the past become the future? From 1940 to 2009, almost without interruption, special trains departed Denver’s Union Station every Saturday and Sunday morning, depositing skiers an hour and a half later at the foot of the slopes of Winter Park.
A generation or two of skiers from Denver learned to ski at Winter Park before Interstate 70 opened and soon after Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, and a host of other ski areas commenced business.

But while the ski trains remained popular, they were ended in 2009 by Philip Anschutz, the owner, because of the cost of insurance.

Now, following a special resumption of train service in mid-March that drew 900 riders for the weekend trips, hope remains in Winter Park that the service can become permanent once again.

I doubt that Amtrak would dedicate a half-dozen or more coaches to sit in Denver station all winter and operate them only 3 days per week for only 11 hours on those 3 days.

But train consists are reduced in the winter for the slow travel season, and if those six cars don't sit at the Denver station, they probably would be sitting in the Chicago coach yard.

Can anyone say "reallocation of the Horizon fleet" for trains such as this? Because I sure can.

The Horizon fleet doesn't do too well in colder weather. Do you think they'll "cut the mustard" going up to Winter Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back