Amtrak Ski Train March 14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful, your bias is showing.

Nobody said anything about demand being the issue. Amtrak never said anything about demand being the issue.

Amtrak didn't settle to allow the ski train to start, 5 days before the season they settled and canceled all of the runs, which is why IPH had to issue refunds.

Try taking a long slow look at the facts first, and then come to a conclusion, rather than start out with ZOMG AMTRACK IS SO TERRIBLE!!! STOOPID GOVERNMENT!!!

I hope they can make it a regular weekend train again. I never rode the actual Ski Train - but I saw it many times. It would pull up and dump off all those people! You wanted to have your lift tickets and be in the lift line and headed up to the top before all those people got there.

The train would start honking the horn about 4 or maybe earlier and everyone would leave promptly at 4:15.

What a boost it was to the ski area and it has been missed.
Living out of state, I still rode the Ski Train about once per year when visiting Denver. Lift tickets were sold (and at a discount) aboard the train, so most skiers went straight to the lifts from the train. Non-skiers were typically met by shuttle vans that took them shopping in town. After dropping all passengers, the consist continued to Tabernash, where it was turned on a wye and stayed there on a siding while cars were watered and cleaned inside, before returning to the ski resort to pick up passengers around 4 PM for the return to Denver. Coors was the exclusive beer supplier in the cafe cars. Sometimes the train had two private cars on the rear for special groups paying extra fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of yelling and crying here over nothing. This is a one-day run to Winter Park. Amtrak doesnt want to start up the Ski Train or any other new service, no matter how strong the market would support it. They'd rather boo-hoo and worry only about the Northeast Corridor and surrounding areas...just like they always have. Nothing to get so upset about.

Amtrak's behavior with respect to Iowa Pacific's attempt to restart Ski Train was, in fact, reprehensible. (Maintaining existing service should have been a priority and they should have done what it took to make it happen.) However, management comes and goes, and likely the people who caused the problem are gone now...

I hope they can make it a regular weekend train again. I never rode the actual Ski Train - but I saw it many times. It would pull up and dump off all those people! You wanted to have your lift tickets and be in the lift line and headed up to the top before all those people got there.

The train would start honking the horn about 4 or maybe earlier and everyone would leave promptly at 4:15.

What a boost it was to the ski area and it has been missed.
Living out of state, I still rode the Ski Train about once per year when visiting Denver. Lift tickets were sold (and at a discount) aboard the train, so most skiers went straight to the lifts from the train. Non-skiers were typically met by shuttle vans that took them shopping in town. After dropping all passengers, the consist continued to Tabernash, where it was turned on a wye and stayed there on a siding while cars were watered and cleaned inside, before returning to the ski resort to pick up passengers around 4 PM for the return to Denver. Coors was the exclusive beer supplier in the cafe cars. Sometimes the train had two private cars on the rear for special groups paying extra fare.
Brings back fond memories of when I lived near Denver...

I rode the Ski Train back in the seventies, before Rio Grande acquired the CN HS aluminum Tempo cars...they formerly ran with eight ex-Northern Pacific heavyweight steel cars, plus one lightweight combo baggage coach from the former Prospector train. The local NRHS chapter would sometimes charter the seats in the combine, and sell excursion's to the public. Non skiers could stay on the train and ride it around the wye, if they desired. Or they could get off at Winter Park and take snow coach tours of the resort.

The train was operated for the youth of the Eskimo Ski Club back then....

I certainly hope the Winter Park Express becomes a regular train during ski season!

Here's a question I have about *current* Amtrak service to Fraser (WIP). If I take the California Zephyr to WIP to go skiing on any given day, is there a bus or shuttle that brings Amtrak passengers from the Fraser station to the resort? Even if the westbound CZ rolled into WIP on time (which is a BIG if for the westbound CZ), would the extra time needed for the shuttle ride to the resort make a day trip even worth it? If everything is running as scheduled, there's only a 5 and a half hour window.

On that note, would Amtrak and Winter Park Resort ever be interested in changing the regular stop from the one in Fraser to the platform at the resort?

Yes, there is a shuttle that will meet the CZ in Fraser (probably requires advance notice), which could give you an afternoon of skiing in Winter Park (assuming the CZ is ontime.)

Amtrak would probably never agree to moving the regular Fraser stop to the ski resort because: (a) there are no platforms at the resort stop; (b) Fraser is typically a smoke stop, which the resort would not tolerate; © being just west of the Moffat Tunnel, the resort would not be a good place to be stopping a train on a regular basis; a station with taxi access would have to be built at the resort stopping location.

Much better to keep the train moving until it reaches Fraser and "civilization".

It would seem reasonable (to me) to stop the train at both Fraser and Winter Park, with the Winter Park stop being strictly for the resort-goers. Though Winter Park would need improved platforms, and possibly improved signalling. The train's slow enough an extra stop will make no difference, and being at the entrance to the Moffatt tunnel should be no hindrance (unless the area's on a steep grade or something).

Here's a question I have about *current* Amtrak service to Fraser (WIP). If I take the California Zephyr to WIP to go skiing on any given day, is there a bus or shuttle that brings Amtrak passengers from the Fraser station to the resort? Even if the westbound CZ rolled into WIP on time (which is a BIG if for the westbound CZ), would the extra time needed for the shuttle ride to the resort make a day trip even worth it? If everything is running as scheduled, there's only a 5 and a half hour window.
I really don't think it would be worth it for the time you would be there. You would have to have all your ducks in a row and the train would have to be on time (dubious, at best). We never plan on skiing the day of arrival by train.

Would you rent ski's or bring your own? If renting - you can book them ahead of time, but you still have to go in and confirm all the paper work, get the boots fitted and the paper work finished (I am talking about doing this at the mountain - this would be the only way on that time frame). You will need to pick up your lift ticket ($95-$99/day). Then, baring any long lift lines you could be up and going.

The free shuttle system in Winter Park/Fraser is awesome. They use old school buses. It is a very efficient system, and for the most part runs on time. They are on a schedule - Here is a link to the schedule. http://www.winterparkguide.com/maps/bus-maps. You would also need to give yourself plenty of time at the end of the day to check in your skis (if renting - rent from the West Portal rental store - you can ski to the bottom of the base walk a few feet to the door and check your skis in quickly.

Then the walk to the bus stop isn't far - but you do go all the way through the resort area. You would get back on the black route bus - making sure you give yourself time to get all the way back to Fraser - it has many stops along the way.

You could also set up a taxi - Valley Taxi is pretty decent, but they are very busy. Make sure they know you are on the train. I always call them in advance for the train pickup to make sure they are on time! Valley Taxi : http://www.valleytaxiinc.com/

If the train arrived at 10:07 am (on time) and you caught the bus to the slopes - it would arrive there at 10:50.

The train departs at 3:50. You could be daring and try for the 3:20 bus and hope you got to the train. You aren't going to have 5 1/2 hours of ski time - maybe about 4 1/2 hours to get it all in.

I would really recommend staying at least one night for a less stressful ski adventure.

While this one-off Ski Train sold out in 8 hours, the previous every Saturday and Sunday Ski Trains did not sell out every trip, and caused major headaches for the sponsors when the equipment broke down during some of the trips. Plus, I think there was at least one instance in the final years when a freight train derailment stranded the equipment in the mountains west of Denver, with a full load of skiers needing alternate means to get out of the mountains and home again.

Plus, I think there was at least one instance in the final years when a freight train derailment stranded the equipment in the mountains west of Denver, with a full load of skiers needing alternate means to get out of the mountains and home again.
There are countless instances of Berthoud Pass closing for avalanche or avalanche control. The only way out IS the train :)

Yes, there is a shuttle that will meet the CZ in Fraser (probably requires advance notice), which could give you an afternoon of skiing in Winter Park (assuming the CZ is ontime.)

Amtrak would probably never agree to moving the regular Fraser stop to the ski resort because: (a) there are no platforms at the resort stop; (b) Fraser is typically a smoke stop, which the resort would not tolerate; © being just west of the Moffat Tunnel, the resort would not be a good place to be stopping a train on a regular basis; a station with taxi access would have to be built at the resort stopping location.

Much better to keep the train moving until it reaches Fraser and "civilization".
Back in the Rio Grande days, the President, William J. Holtman, would not let Amtrak stop at the resort, citing interference with freight operations, hence the CZ stop at Fraser. I don't know if the present administration of the UP would allow Amtrak to stop the CZ at the resort on a daily basis or not....

I really don't think it would be worth it for the time you would be there. You would have to have all your ducks in a row and the train would have to be on time (dubious, at best). We never plan on skiing the day of arrival by train.

Would you rent ski's or bring your own? If renting - you can book them ahead of time, but you still have to go in and confirm all the paper work, get the boots fitted and the paper work finished (I am talking about doing this at the mountain - this would be the only way on that time frame). You will need to pick up your lift ticket ($95-$99/day). Then, baring any long lift lines you could be up and going.

The free shuttle system in Winter Park/Fraser is awesome. They use old school buses. It is a very efficient system, and for the most part runs on time. They are on a schedule - Here is a link to the schedule. http://www.winterparkguide.com/maps/bus-maps. You would also need to give yourself plenty of time at the end of the day to check in your skis (if renting - rent from the West Portal rental store - you can ski to the bottom of the base walk a few feet to the door and check your skis in quickly.

Then the walk to the bus stop isn't far - but you do go all the way through the resort area. You would get back on the black route bus - making sure you give yourself time to get all the way back to Fraser - it has many stops along the way.

You could also set up a taxi - Valley Taxi is pretty decent, but they are very busy. Make sure they know you are on the train. I always call them in advance for the train pickup to make sure they are on time! Valley Taxi : http://www.valleytaxiinc.com/

If the train arrived at 10:07 am (on time) and you caught the bus to the slopes - it would arrive there at 10:50.

The train departs at 3:50. You could be daring and try for the 3:20 bus and hope you got to the train. You aren't going to have 5 1/2 hours of ski time - maybe about 4 1/2 hours to get it all in.

I would really recommend staying at least one night for a less stressful ski adventure.
Amtrak does not even attempt to market the CZ as a "ski train" for day skier's for this reason....the stop at Fraser is targeted for groups coming from the Midwest spending an entire week at the resort....

According to a poster on trainorders a second train has been added for Sunday.
Amtrak issued a news release on the addition of an additional Ski Train for March 15: Another Round-Trip Train Now Available To Celebrate Winter Park's 75th Anniversity. Since the first one sold out in 10 hours, this one should sell out as well.

The demand should help to bring back the train as a regular seasonal service, but given how long it now takes to start even a modest service expansion, I can see Amtrak and Colorado spending 3 or 5 years on studies and more studies and negotiations before agreeing to restore a scheduled service.

Maybe I was dreaming, but when I took the Desert Wind (about 30 years ago when it was combined with the CZ to SLC) the first time, the Winter Park/Fraser stop was at a platform which was right next to the ski runs, just west of the tunnel. There was no second stop in Fraser. It wasn't until later when I was on the CZ that I stopped in Fraser and not at the slopes.

Maybe I was dreaming, but when I took the Desert Wind (about 30 years ago when it was combined with the CZ to SLC) the first time, the Winter Park/Fraser stop was at a platform which was right next to the ski runs, just west of the tunnel. There was no second stop in Fraser. It wasn't until later when I was on the CZ that I stopped in Fraser and not at the slopes.
The platform is still there, the train just doesn't stop there anymore.

From the platform:

I saw #5(12) at Agency, Iowa this evening. AMTK 42, the Veterans unit, and 187 appear to be the power for the Ski Train. Seven Superliners will be behind them. Looks like four coaches and three baggage-coaches.

(Apparently, YouTube is on the fritz today. Might be a few hours before the video is watchable.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back