Amtrak and Pets???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak doesn't allow pets for many good reasons and none of them have anything to do with anyone's disliking animals.

1. 99% of pets are not trained.

2. Many pets are not socialized to public places and strange people.

3. Many people are allergic to pet hair.

4. Train travel is typically anywhere from 1 to 3 days. The longest flights in this country are what 6 to 8 hours?

5. Seats and rooms on a train can be used for many passengers boarding and detraining enroute. You pet sheds and this cannot typically be cleaned up effectively enroute. This is why even service animals are not allowed on the seats or beds.

6. It's difficult to limit and effectively prohibit some pets while allowing others.

I'm sure I can think of more. I have pets. I have 3 cats and 2 Boxers. They do not travel with us. They go to the kennel.

No, I think it has more to do with your going through two pages worth of arguments and posting responses, one by one, as if there's any new insight.
Precisely. If you have anything new to add, compile all your arguments and write a coherent post. Going through and making post after post after post, rehashing the same arguments that you're clearly reading does absolutely no good.
You do realize that "This Web site is not operated by or affiliated with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak®)." and so nobody that you're trying to influence is ever going to read it?

Amtrak doesn't allow pets for many good reasons and none of them have anything to do with anyone's disliking animals.

1. 99% of pets are not trained.

2. Many pets are not socialized to public places and strange people.

3. Many people are allergic to pet hair.

4. Train travel is typically anywhere from 1 to 3 days. The longest flights in this country are what 6 to 8 hours?

5. Seats and rooms on a train can be used for many passengers boarding and detraining enroute. You pet sheds and this cannot typically be cleaned up effectively enroute. This is why even service animals are not allowed on the seats or beds.

6. It's difficult to limit and effectively prohibit some pets while allowing others.

I'm sure I can think of more. I have pets. I have 3 cats and 2 Boxers. They do not travel with us. They go to the kennel.

1. Same goes for children

2. Same for children

3. I am allergic to small children and their endless crying and screaming.

Your argument is invalid.

Since I am well known on this forum for never expressing a controversial opinion, ad always agreeing with everyone and everything they post: :lol: My take on this topic is:

Let the pax that cn't be without Fido or Fluffy for a few days (they do have Vets and pet Centers that take good care of your darlings!)ride in the baggage car with their pets. ut up signs like they have on the streets of New york and other cities! When the drug dogs come through, be sure they are in their cages/carriers so they wont be eaten/torn limb from limb!

Reasoning with animal rights activists and people that consider their pets as children/people is as difficult as trying to reason with gun nuts,tea party idiots or religious zealots, can't be done! So keep them off Amtrak, just like guns and drugs and tobacco (even though those are currently there too!) and the majority of passengers will be OK with that! Childern are not in this catagory, I admit some so called parents need leases themselves, but most are great, they are Amtraks future riders, get em while they are young! Just saying! ;)

1. Same goes for children

2. Same for children

3. I am allergic to small children and their endless crying and screaming.

Your argument is invalid.
1. False.

2. False.

3. Impossible. You may find it unpleasant, but that's a personal problem, not an allergy.

1. Children are not trained, they are rude and obnoxious. They do whatever they can't whenever they want.

2. If you go to restaurants, stores, movie theaters. Children scream and cry and don't know how to behave in social situations around other people. Animals are way more behaved than these monsters

3. If the screaming banshee gives me a headache and makes me rage, I'd say that's an allergy, not a personal problem. The personal problem is the parents who think children are the center of the universe and its ok for them to behave like demons because 'they are just being kids'

It's clear that you're unwilling to listen to reason, so I'll stop the sniping back and forth. Suffice to say that my son doesn't act that way, and neither do the vast majority of his peers that I come into contact with (sports teams, scouts, etc).

It's clear that you're unwilling to listen to reason, so I'll stop the sniping back and forth. Suffice to say that my son doesn't act that way, and neither do the vast majority of his peers that I come into contact with (sports teams, scouts, etc).

Probably because you don't see it since you are the parent and think your child is well behaved and golden. While everyone else sees the truth.

Why don't you just stop, no one wants to see your stupid kid on the train or anywhere else for that matter.

I dislike children and animals, however, children are humans and have rights to be on a train. Pets do not have the same rights.

Wow, I guess I really touched a nerve here! I guess a random stranger on the internet knows more about my kid than all of the people that compliment my wife and I on my son's behaviour!

You know, you really are pathetic to stoop to insulting another member's kids to try and prove some stupid point.

This seems like a hot button for a lot of people!

Really IMHO, you cannot compare pets to children.

It is true however, that there are misbehaved children & pets.

As a mom, grandmom, & pet lover, there are times when I don't want any of them in public!

I think, depending on the situation, children can be bad or good.

The same can be said about pets, too.

I have said before I would love to bring my Macaw along on the train, but very few would be happy about that, & it's totally understandable. It would also not necessarily be good for him.

I think IF it was okay to bring him, I would still leave him behind. I would rather not have him upset about anything! That being said, he does like riding in the car, & we do take him on occasion!

So, with pets, I think we must also consider what's good for them too!

Wow, I guess I really touched a nerve here! I guess a random stranger on the internet knows more about my kid than all of the people that compliment my wife and I on my son's behaviour!

You know, you really are pathetic to stoop to insulting another member's kids to try and prove some stupid point.

says the man who insulted someones pets, which is even worse. A pet doesn't speak English and can't stick up for him/herself.

This seems like a hot button for a lot of people!

Really IMHO, you cannot compare pets to children.

It is true however, that there are misbehaved children & pets.

As a mom, grandmom, & pet lover, there are times when I don't want any of them in public!

I think, depending on the situation, children can be bad or good.

The same can be said about pets, too.

I have said before I would love to bring my Macaw along on the train, but very few would be happy about that, & it's totally understandable. It would also not necessarily be good for him.

I think IF it was okay to bring him, I would still leave him behind. I would rather not have him upset about anything! That being said, he does like riding in the car, & we do take him on occasion!

So, with pets, I think we must also consider what's good for them too!

I'd so totally chill out with your Macaw. I love those birds so much. Ok I love all birds, but the big ones are even better.

I use to handle one who would sleep like a newborn in your arms. He also had a bit of a potty mouth which I found kind of funny. He took not answering a ringing phone so seriously.

enough already, seems like adults are worse than kids.

says the man who insulted someones pets, which is even worse. A pet doesn't speak English and can't stick up for him/herself.
Looks like reading comprehension isn't one of your stronger suits, either. Even my kid knows to stop when I tell him to, so I guess that makes him better behaved than you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back