Amtrak and Pets???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about all those people who are allergic to pets? Do you really want to try to spend 24 hours or more on a chair/bed that a dog has just slept on? I can just see a scenario where, in three adjoining rows, one person's parrot, another's cat, and a third person's dog get in a fight straight out of Looney Tunes. No pets, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Amtrak limit the policy to allow small animals that are kept in cages (birds, cats, mice, lizards, fish, etc.) and cause no disturbance there wouldnt be a problem.

There is a policy. If your pet is sufficiently well controlled and silent that we don't notice it, you can take it with you. Otherwise, I'd quote the final words of the Marathon rental agent in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles".

If Amtrak limit the policy to allow small animals that are kept in cages (birds, cats, mice, lizards, fish, etc.) and cause no disturbance there wouldnt be a problem.
The problem is, how do you regulate that, especially on trains that can take anywhere from 10-40 hours to get somewhere?

My airline's policy is small dogs and cats, under 20 lbs, able to fit in a soft sided pet carrier under the seat in front of you. The cost to do this is $75, and I think its going up after June 1st. The longest of our flights are about 5 hours, with maybe an hour added for any taxi delays.

If Amtrak had a similar policy, there wouldn't be an issue with someone taking a pet a few stops on the Regional, or some other corridor trip. But what if I want to take a pet on a trip from NYP to LAX in coach? A lot of pets can't be caged that long (obviously the ones listed above can). But what happens if one's lizard or bird or mouse gets out? This happens more then you'd think on airlines, even those like mine that don't allow such pets. I've heard many stories from flight attendants where a mouse or a gerbil or something of that nature has gotten loose and started running around the cabin, causing quite a disturbance among passengers. I can just forsee an issue where a pet gets loose, the train doors open, and it escapes, and the customer blames Amtrak.

Personally, I think a limited number of pets should be allowed, but only if one is traveling in a sleeper. It might sell more sleepers, and provided someone keeps their sleep door closed, there would be less of an issue of something getting loose. But then you'd have a roomette or bedroom that smelled like dog or cat or something that someone would complain about. Perhaps there could be a "pet roomette" or something of that nature. I'm not sure, I'd have to give some more thought to the idea.

The problem is, how do you regulate that, especially on trains that can take anywhere from 10-40 hours to get somewhere?

My airline's policy is small dogs and cats, under 20 lbs, able to fit in a soft sided pet carrier under the seat in front of you. The cost to do this is $75, and I think its going up after June 1st. The longest of our flights are about 5 hours, with maybe an hour added for any taxi delays.

If Amtrak had a similar policy, there wouldn't be an issue with someone taking a pet a few stops on the Regional, or some other corridor trip. But what if I want to take a pet on a trip from NYP to LAX in coach? A lot of pets can't be caged that long (obviously the ones listed above can). But what happens if one's lizard or bird or mouse gets out? This happens more then you'd think on airlines, even those like mine that don't allow such pets. I've heard many stories from flight attendants where a mouse or a gerbil or something of that nature has gotten loose and started running around the cabin, causing quite a disturbance among passengers. I can just forsee an issue where a pet gets loose, the train doors open, and it escapes, and the customer blames Amtrak.

Personally, I think a limited number of pets should be allowed, but only if one is traveling in a sleeper. It might sell more sleepers, and provided someone keeps their sleep door closed, there would be less of an issue of something getting loose. But then you'd have a roomette or bedroom that smelled like dog or cat or something that someone would complain about. Perhaps there could be a "pet roomette" or something of that nature. I'm not sure, I'd have to give some more thought to the idea.
The rule is no pets and all the discussion about limiting the size, type, length of trip really doesn't hold any validity. It is easier to keep the current policy. That being said, there has been discussion for many years of creating a Pet Car for the Auto Train, that would be sponsored by a major pet food company - Purina, etc, etc. The passenger would pay a hefty price to have their pet accommodated in the car and they would have the ability to visit their pets. There would have to be a staff person in the car, qualified to monitor the cages and that person would be paid for by the sponsoring company - who would probably make their revenue from the sale of food, toys, and other per related stuff. If this would work, it would eliminate all the problems with allergies, noisy and obnoxious pets and other problems.

There is a policy. If your pet is sufficiently well controlled and silent that we don't notice it, you can take it with you. Otherwise, I'd quote the final words of the Marathon rental agent in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles".
GML,

I took a minute and looked up the Marathon rental agent's remark. I'll be laughing for a week. :) Short, and to the point!

Back in the days of private railroad passenger trains, small pets were allowed in Sleeping Cars. I took the Texas Chief from Chicago to Houston in February 1971 when Santa Fe still operated the train. An older gentleman is the roomette across the hall had his miniture poodle in the roomette with him. The dog was well behaved and did not bark. At the longer stops, he would walk the dog to the end of the platform to do its business. I remember being on other trains too where women would have small dogs with them in the Sleeping Cars. I don't think it would work today because the dog owners are not as concerned about making their pets behave.

We were on the CZ in March and couldn't believe our eyes. Some gal had her dog with her on the train. Sorry folks, but this wasn't a service dog. It was at best...an ankle biter. Maybe 10lb dog at best. We couldn't figure out how she pulled that one off. I was trying to talk the dog into posting on the site here with a trip report! :lol:
HI Al, there's different categories of service dogs these days than just the standard Seeing Eye Dog. I know someone who is training a miniature schnauzer to be a service dog for an autistic girl. I guess having an animal to focus on helps them to function and not get overwhelmed by stimulus in the environment.

I think there's kind of a wide range of applications for therapy, oh for instance have you heard of those dogs that sense when an epileptic person is about to have a seizure? That's so interesting. I guess any dog with the right personality and aptitude could be one of those, it wouldn't have to be some huge lab or german shepherd.
Correct. They have been using dogs for the deaf and hard of hearing. Usually smaller breeds like the Corgi, but I'm guessing any size is fine as long as they are good at alerting on sounds.

Here's the rationalization for the anti-pet policy on Amtrak, taken from another site: "We didn't understand the rule either, until we checked with the National Association of Railroad Passengers. They said that until 1976, pets were allowed in the sleeping car, in the parlor cars and in baggage. Then in 1977, "there were new requirements for heat and air conditioning for baggage cars (and possibly for providing water). Amtrak determined that it would need to spend $13.8 million on baggage car changes and special animal shelters in stations to satisfy the new regulations, and ended the carriage of pets rather than comply." We wish they would reconsider equipping some of their cars with pet friendly amenities, but as of this writing, they is still no movement in that direction." Let us talk now of airline policies. You are allowed to take a small pet who fits in a secure carrier under the seat on every airline I know of. If I am commuting between two homes because of work, I want to be able to take my 9 pounder in his secured carrier that would easily fit under the train seat. He sleeps the whole way, comforted by my foot smell... (Sorry, owners of big animals, I am selfish, I know.) Do Amtrak business types read this forum? Then please consider how much business you are losing to airlines because of your anti-pet policy! Statistically, owners of cats and small dogs who want to travel with their pets have given up on Amtrak. Get it?!

Silly policy! Amtrak would have more passengers if animals were allowed, since driving seems to be the only way to move your pet with you. What about folks who dont drive? There would be a market there.

And really, what would most people prefer: a cute barking dog or an annoying crying baby?
I have been on hundreds of plane trips and I honestly do not remember hearing ONE barking dog in a carrier in the cabin with its owner. Babies - lots and lots of them cry. Their little ear canals get a beating and it is too crazy not being able to settle down other than on parent's lap or to move around freely. Anyone who complains about crying babies better remember that they were that baby at one point. If you can't help the family by distracting the baby or offering to hold the upset baby if parents permit, then put in your iPod and hush up yourself.

Last edited:
I was on the Cardinal earlier this year with a lady with a small Yorkie dog. We were in the sleeper car.

She would take the dog out at smoke stops. The dog was very well behaved and didn't bark. I don't know

how she was able to justify it as a service dog, but we all knew she had the dog.

We have a Coton de Tulear dog that is hypo-allerginic. These dogs, and others like a Poodle, Bichon & Maltese

do not cause any adverse reactions to people because they have hair, not fur and do not shed. Our dog flew

over the Atlantic eight times without incident. I was allowed to bring the dog into the cabin in a proper bag

but could not take him out of the bag. I would let him lick on ice and would give him small bits of food during

the trip.

I do feel that traveling on a train (for long distances) is not wise for pets. There is no facilities for the pets

at train stations and certainly not onboard the coaches. Often a dog will bark because of environmental conditions

out of control of the dog owner - like noise and strange movements.

I do take our dog on short trips on NJT & LIRR in a proper carrier.

I love our dog, but I don't think he belongs on a long distance train.

Then please consider how much business you are losing to airlines because of your anti-pet policy! Statistically, owners of cats and small dogs who want to travel with their pets have given up on Amtrak. Get it?!
They're probably correctly surmised that they'd lose more business from people that are allergic or have no desire to be locked in a tube with a dog or cat for a day or two (vastly different than on an airplane for an hour or two).

These dogs, and others like a Poodle, Bichon & Maltese

do not cause any adverse reactions to people because they have hair, not fur and do not shed.
Not true. These dogs can be less irritating to people that are allergic to dogs (like me), but they still produce dander and saliva that contain allergens.

Then please consider how much business you are losing to airlines because of your anti-pet policy! Statistically, owners of cats and small dogs who want to travel with their pets have given up on Amtrak. Get it?!
They're probably correctly surmised that they'd lose more business from people that are allergic or have no desire to be locked in a tube with a dog or cat for a day or two (vastly different than on an airplane for an hour or two).

These dogs, and others like a Poodle, Bichon & Maltese

do not cause any adverse reactions to people because they have hair, not fur and do not shed.
Not true. These dogs can be less irritating to people that are allergic to dogs (like me), but they still produce dander and saliva that contain allergens.
Dog hair or dog fur?

Thank you, PetalumLoco for the info on hair -vs- fur.

Our older daugher has breathing issues and has extreme difficulties

when she is around animals with fur, but has no such problems with

our "hair" dog.

In any event, I continue to feel that dogs (pets) do not belong on

long distance trains.

Most airlines allow small pets in secure carriers that fit under the seat. The only serious effect of Amtrak's anti-pet policy is that they lose customers to the airlines. I have been on flights with my own small dog and have watched other small dogs. They go to sleep calmly at their owners' feet, tucked under the seat. If you leave your dog during an 8 hour work day, they can hold their functions for a trip. I urge people to write an email to Amtrak customer service and express their dissatisfaction with the anti-pet policy. Let those in charge consider a cost analysis of howmuch more revenue they would bring in if they followed the airlines' example. (BTW, you pay a $50 fee on most airlines, not a full ticket price.)

Aloha

I love anamals period. After reading all the comments abouts pets in this thread I wonder about those people that would subject their pet to such a strange enviroment.

Moving, Service animal aside, placing a creature in uncomfortable surrounding's for my pleasure, I just don't understand those that say they love their pet and do this.

Ok off soapbox.

Eric
It is a lot stranger for the animal to be left behind. Pets are more than pleasure for many people - not only trained dogs are "therapy dogs" For many people their pets are an essential part of their mental health. Amtrak should follow the airlines' example and allow small pets in secure carriers on board and under the passenger's seat. All it would "cost" would be a lot of new riders who normally would fly or drive because of the Amtrak anti-pet policy.

Silly policy! Amtrak would have more passengers if animals were allowed, since driving seems to be the only way to move your pet with you. What about folks who dont drive? There would be a market there.

And really, what would most people prefer: a cute barking dog or an annoying crying baby?
In all my years of travelling on planes with small dogs in carriers under the seat I have never heard one bark. They are next to their owners and feel secure. My dogs have always slept the whole way through. No comments about babies - they are us and the cabin pressure hurts their ears.

I know via rail used to allow pets but they had to be in a pet carrier and they had to ride in the baggage car. It was up to you to make sure they had enough food and water for the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is, where do you draw the line?? A little yapper dog is one thing, but what about the pet owner who wants to travel with their bull mastiff, Irish wolfhound, or Saint Bernard???

Better save Amtrak headaches by not allowing ANY pets.

Think: airlines. Small animals in secure carriers go under the seat. Large animals go in carriers in the baggage area. Dogs can hold their functions longer than most humans. I am frustrated to read comments such as this one that makes the idea of animals on trains sound like it comes from outer space. I love train travel and would much prefer paying Amtrak instead of an airline or a rental car business for my travels, but not if they forbid my dog.

Just stop.

Nobody wants to see your stupid dog on the train.
Well I feel that way about children, but do we really have to rehash this whole thing? :p

Some people are pet people, some people are not pet people. At the end of the day, amtrak has made their decision and that is to not allow pets on the train. Us pet people can live with it, but there is no need to insult our dogs by calling them stupid.

Just stop.

Nobody wants to see your stupid dog on the train.
This is inappropriate but it does reveal your true feelings, which have nothing to do with Amtrak's policies.

No, I think it has more to do with your going through two pages worth of arguments and posting responses, one by one, as if there's any new insight.

And fyi-- I don't wanna see your stupid dog either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back