Airline security to increase -- attempted terrorism Amsterdam-Detroit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..That points to a larger issue that we as a country need to figure out - while ultimately we can't control security at non-American airports, we can deny entry into US airspace any flights originating in countries that don't have security standards that are up to snuff. That'll inconvenience a hell of a lot of people, be difficult and expensive to enforce, and probably upset the Canadians when we start diverting "unsecure" flights to land in their territory instead.
I believe we already do that. No USA-bound flight can depart until released by DHS. All airports originating USA-bound flights must meet security requirements. That is not as big a deal as it seems since most airport security is pretty thorough.

NW 253 was released from AMS since the individual in question was not on the no-fly or even the watch list. The latter would have subjected him to a full screening which, in all likelihood, would have found the explosives. AMS has full body scanners. They are now being used to screen all USA-bound passengers.
Sorry, I didn't write exactly what I was thinking - it would be a much bigger deal if we ratcheted the requirements way up. The missing piece was that we would mandate that anyone flying into the US would have to go through the scanners, like is the case at AMS (although that was their decision, not ours). Do we have American TSA agents stationed at every airport that originates flights to the US?

That points to a larger issue that we as a country need to figure out - while ultimately we can't control security at non-American airports, we can deny entry into US airspace any flights originating in countries that don't have security standards that are up to snuff. That'll inconvenience a hell of a lot of people, be difficult and expensive to enforce, and probably upset the Canadians when we start diverting "unsecure" flights to land in their territory instead.
This is what is supposed to happen today, so what you are proposing is nothing new. Passenger secondary security check at the boarding gate follows procedures laid down by the US for US bound flights that are reviewed and certified by US. Passenger lists are supposed to be transmitted to US before departure and a departure to US is supposed to take place only after permission is received from DHS. There have been cases of denial of entry into US airspace too, when after the fact US discovered that they did not like the name "Ahmad" on the passenger list. :)

This flight in question was cleared by US. Actually it might surprise some to learn how much US controls security for US bound flights at off-shore airports through secondary check at the gate. Whichever way you look at it, this is a cockup that did not take place without US involvement.

As for Security standards, US does not have either the most effective or the most foolproof airport security procedures of the various countries that I have traveled through. So it may very well be a case of the blind leading the deaf perhaps. That is not to say that there aren't places where security procedures are absolutely abysmal and far worse than it is in the US too.

You missed my post directly above yours where I clarified things a little bit. I'm talking about the US imposing actual, difficult screening measures on all inbound flights.
And you believe that a scanner would be more likely to find stuff that will not be found by a full body massage that we get before boarding a flight to US already? Doesn't happen in Europe but is mandatory in many Asian airports. If Americans had to go through what one needs to go through to get to the US, they would possibly reduce flying considerably, since Americans are much more antsy about having their body touched by someone else.

Has it been established that this guy's underwear would have been flagged by a body scanner?

Besides TSA is often unable to detect and detain even stuff that is patently visible in their current X-ray machines. What makes you think that giving them a more sexy toy will make them become more astute? We have this fascination with technology when the problem typically lies elsewhere. Human problems cannot always be fixed with random application of technology.

Bottom line is I am sure everyone will do US biddings as long as it is backed up with appropriate amount of money, which of course US will have to borrow from the some of the same clods that they will be enforcing this on :)

And you believe that a scanner would be more likely to find stuff that will not be found by a full body massage that we get before boarding a flight to US already? ...

Has it been established that this guy's underwear would have been flagged by a body scanner?
I've seen that stated in the news several times, so I'll accept that it is. One of the stories that I saw talking about the full body scanners mentioned the fact that current policy is to allow people to object to the screening to be manually patted down, which is far less effective.

sense were increasing security why not force the other country's to increase there. after all this guy slipped through Amsterdam's airport security not ours.

after all this guy slipped through Amsterdam's airport security not ours.
Actually that's not really true. He flew into Amsterdam and remained within the secure area prior to boarding the flight to the US. So while Amsterdam did give him some security checks, they didn't give him the full treatment since he had already cleared security for his first flight. Had he exited the secure area at Amsterdam, there might well have been a better chance that he would have been caught. No guarantees, he might have still slipped through, but the point is that in this case Amsterdam isn't totally to blame; that first airport gets the lion's share of the blame.

Any plane coming in to the US must be approved by the DHS. DHS gets a final copy of the manifest and reports from a flight and must approve its entry in to the US before the flight takes off.

IIRC any passenger coming in to the US must pass the same security standards as anybody flying domestically regardless of country of origin. DHS deals with many aspects of security in airports abroad.

In other words neither airport/city/country can really be faulted-- DHS was just one of the few organizations that dropped the ball on this one.

Don't forget the CIA,NSA and other sundry secret intel agencies! The info was out there, once again it wasn't shared which was the whole principal behind creating a Gigantic DHS and having another Intellegence Czar ( a misnomer in this casr for sure!)! This was like the Gang that couldn't shot straight under Bush, no wonder the Prez is PO'd! To England's credit they got it right in this case, perhaps we need to take a few lessons from our allies and few friends

overseas! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the CIA,NSA and other sundry secret intel agencies! The info was out there, once again it wasn't shared
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

While I'm on the soapbox, I'm also disappointed that this is already being assumed to be an intelligence failure. I had a brief (2 year) stint in the intelligence community when I was on active duty, and the amazing number of data points that come in make it darn near impossible to tell which Dad walking into an embassy expressing concern relates to a kid that's going to take down an airliner someday and which is just another false alarm. In the perfect clarity of hindsight, it seems so obvious to connect the dots into the picture, but before hand it's nothing but a jumble of dots, some relevant and some not, and a near-infinite number of pictures that can be constructed from them.
Are there things that can be done better in the IC? Certainly. Is that different from any other organization (public or private)? Absolutely not.

Don't forget the CIA,NSA and other sundry secret intel agencies! The info was out there, once again it wasn't shared
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

While I'm on the soapbox, I'm also disappointed that this is already being assumed to be an intelligence failure. I had a brief (2 year) stint in the intelligence community when I was on active duty, and the amazing number of data points that come in make it darn near impossible to tell which Dad walking into an embassy expressing concern relates to a kid that's going to take down an airliner someday and which is just another false alarm. In the perfect clarity of hindsight, it seems so obvious to connect the dots into the picture, but before hand it's nothing but a jumble of dots, some relevant and some not, and a near-infinite number of pictures that can be constructed from them.
Are there things that can be done better in the IC? Certainly. Is that different from any other organization (public or private)? Absolutely not.
I'll grant you your point about the flood of info that IAs handle daily but the British managed to deny this clown entry, and I still say that The State Dept. is ultimately @ fault also because they issued this cretin a 2 year unlimited visa! As to your point about nobody's perfect, agreed! But Intels job is to gather the info, collate it and SHARE with those that need to know! IMO that's why the President is angry, and rightfully so, these guys screwed up big time and of course it's not the first time either, theres an old saying from the 60s about getting your s**t together, bout time with all the billions we spend on these spooks! ;)

Actually that's not really true. He flew into Amsterdam and remained within the secure area prior to boarding the flight to the US. So while Amsterdam did give him some security checks, they didn't give him the full treatment since he had already cleared security for his first flight. Had he exited the secure area at Amsterdam, there might well have been a better chance that he would have been caught. No guarantees, he might have still slipped through, but the point is that in this case Amsterdam isn't totally to blame; that first airport gets the lion's share of the blame.
His airport of origin was Lagos, Nigeria. The cynic in me really wants to say do I need to say anything else? Considering Nigeria's history of systemic corruption that the Lagos Airport meets international security standards was to me surprising. Maybe the international aviation community needs to take Lagos off of the list of airports that meet these security standards. I read in some newspaper online that had Lagos not been on that list the passengers connecting through from the KLM flight from Lagos to Amsterdam would have had to exit the secure area and reclear through the checkpoints at Amsterdam.

His airport of origin was Lagos, Nigeria. The cynic in me really wants to say do I need to say anything else? Considering Nigeria's history of systemic corruption that the Lagos Airport meets international security standards was to me surprising. Maybe the international aviation community needs to take Lagos off of the list of airports that meet these security standards. I read in some newspaper online that had Lagos not been on that list the passengers connecting through from the KLM flight from Lagos to Amsterdam would have had to exit the secure area and reclear through the checkpoints at Amsterdam.
I thought separate security check at the boarding gate for US bound flights was instituted across the board after 9/11. Has that been discontinued? At least the last time I was in Amsterdam I was security checked an additional time just before boarding. So I am dubious about claims that this guy did not go through at least one security check at Amsterdam. And this latter check is actually done per DHS instructions and handled by the airline in question and not necessarily by the airport security. The airline in some cases contracts with airport security to handle this too

The ball on this one was primarily dropped by DHS. If they cannot manage their list of individuals with security concerns then why bug everyone to send them the APIS lists in the first place?

BTW, more security circus at Newark yesterday :) . See here. This has delayed the flight that I am taking back from Delhi later today by over 4 hours. It is interesting that the end of it all they are apparently not even certain what happened, who it was and whether they actually managed to get him/her to go through security check or not. :unsure: :ph34r:

Here are some comments from people who were there, excerpted from airliners.net, just for your entertainment :) :

I just got out of EWR. The brilliant security folks had arriving passengers blocked from leaving the airport for two hours. They kept unloading arriving planes into the mess until they had complete gridlock and then apparently couldn't figure out what to do. All because someone wasn't watching an exit.If I ever get out of Newark on time I'm calling the Vatican to report a miracle.
I'm at EWR terminal C waiting for a flight to Sao Paulo which is now scheduled to leave at 120am (3 1/2 hrs late). Been waiting in a crowded terminal for 4 hours and the th place is a zoo.Don't know if it's true but I heard that they never found the guy that supposedly breached security and in fact concluded that the entire incident never happened.

TSA = Keystone Kops.
You can see further reaction from people that were there in this airliners.net thread.

It is way past time we do serious profiling on passengers, the ACLU be d**ned. And I do mean serious, not silly.

Thiis "buying a one way ticket for cash" nonsense is exctly that, nonsense because it is so easy to circumvent, and also targets the wrong people. I recall one incident a few years ago where a black man did the cash / no luggage thing out of Nashville and got the whole treatment, in part because the $100 bills he used as part of his payment had cocaine residue. That applyies to something above half all the $100 bills incirculation, by the way. Seems he was flying to Mobile, best I remember, metting someone and driving a truck back to Nashville. All quite legit.

Quite simple, until proven otherwise people of certain ethnenticities will get special treatment, not because they are all terrorists, but because all terrorists so far have been one of them. Maybe that will encourage peole from those parts of the world to clean their own house.

I this is all non-PC, that is tough, get over it. It is silly, not just silly, but stupid, not ignorant, but stupid, when elderly people born US citizens with prosthetic devices get the whole suspicious character treatmetn when others that are likely suspects blow right through.

Quite simple, until proven otherwise people of certain ethnicities will get special treatment, not because they are all terrorists, but because all terrorists so far have been one of them. Maybe that will encourage peole from those parts of the world to clean their own house.
(Emphasis added.)

Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, was Arabic? No, nor was he originally a Muslim.

Neither was John Walker Lindh, the infamous "American Taliban".

The "parts of the world" were the UK for Reid and here in the USA for Lindh.

(As an aside, both were convicted in federal criminal court, although by guilty pleas rather than trials, and are serving sentences in federal prisons.)

I agree that any attention paid to one-way cash tickets is utterly useless for catching terrorists.

One good news is that at least some sanity has prevailed. They have gotten rid of all the brilliant ideas of inflight restrictions that they had come up with. There was nothing different from three weeks back on the flight back from Delhi.

Also gate security at Delhi was the same as a year back, which is already much more stringent than anywhere in the US. Hand search of all carryon baggage at the gate and pat down of all passengers once at the airport security barrier (after they pass through the magentometer irrespective of whether they set it off or not!) and then again at the boarding gate. I heard a rumor that there are plans to install millimeter wave body scanners at the airport security barrier, but even after that there will still be the pat down and hand search at the gates. Frankly I don't blame them given the neighborhood that they are in.

Interestingly, in Delhi you have to go through magnetometers and baggage hand search to get into the Metro and any of the dozens of large malls too!

i can see the pat down cause a metal detector and hand wands are not going to find plastic explosives etc or a couple baggies filled with anthrax or cocaine or Heroin etc

found this picture

article-1240637-07C23BCF000005DC-916_964x622.jpg

'Well I think you should've told me you have a wooden leg, a glass eye and haemorrhoids.'

Quite simple, until proven otherwise people of certain ethnicities will get special treatment, not because they are all terrorists, but because all terrorists so far have been one of them. Maybe that will encourage peole from those parts of the world to clean their own house.
(Emphasis added.)

Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, was Arabic? No, nor was he originally a Muslim.

Neither was John Walker Lindh, the infamous "American Taliban".

The "parts of the world" were the UK for Reid and here in the USA for Lindh.

(As an aside, both were convicted in federal criminal court, although by guilty pleas rather than trials, and are serving sentences in federal prisons.)

I agree that any attention paid to one-way cash tickets is utterly useless for catching terrorists.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. It's also worth noticing that folks released from US custody were likely behind the most recent attempt. I'm sure that George has the US in mind when he was referring to "those parts of the world".

You also forgot such foreigners as McVeigh and the Unabomber if you expand the scope of terrorists outside of "terrorists who used airplanes".

Another classic example of Security Theater and post incident hysteria, and this by an Airline employee, not even a spook!What on earth is this world coming to when famous people are third degreed (she had a valid passport!) and real suspects are allowed to waltz onto planes with bombs in their drawers! I know it's not an easy job but common sense and calling for a supervisor =if unsure should be SOP, sounds like more training is needed by ALL airport personnel and that Joan should get a travel voucher to fly around the world! :lol:

Another classic example of Security Theater and post incident hysteria, and this by an Airline employee, not even a spook!What on earth is this world coming to when famous people are third degreed (she had a valid passport!) and real suspects are allowed to waltz onto planes with bombs in their drawers! I know it's not an easy job but common sense and calling for a supervisor =if unsure should be SOP, sounds like more training is needed by ALL airport personnel and that Joan should get a travel voucher to fly around the world! :lol:
Well Joan Rivers looks pretty scary to me, maybe we should give the gate agent some slack this time. ;)

Well Joan Rivers looks pretty scary to me, maybe we should give the gate agent some slack this time. ;)
Especially when you consider the amount of plastic surgery she's had and how bad some of her acts have bombed I could see how an airline employee might confuse her with plastique. :lol:

i can see the pat down cause a metal detector and hand wands are not going to find plastic explosives etc or a couple baggies filled with anthrax or cocaine or Heroin etc
Funny thing is that the hand wands get set off by the little chip that is buried within the new E-Passports! So it goes beep-beep when waved over the pocket. Ooops what is that? Ah of course! Your Passport! :)

Back