Accommodations in Chicago-Missed Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it worked out. There's just one thing I'm still not clear on. Did Amtrak ever attempt to offer you a place to stay or did they indicate that it was up to you to fund your own meals and find your own accommodations for the night?

Glad it worked out. There's just one thing I'm still not clear on. Did Amtrak ever attempt to offer you a place to stay or did they indicate that it was up to you to fund your own meals and find your own accommodations for the night?
Sounds like he didn't bother giving them the opportunity to. He booked his hotel based on what he's read in the past about hotels Amtrak has used and booked his before he even spoke to an Amtrak agent. At least that's the way I read his post.

I was tired, drained, stressed, and didn't want to take my chances with a hotel in which I wouldn't sleep well. And given the comments, telling me to book a hotel, I splurged with reward points, and did it.

And now I'm very comfortable, and going to bed.

Will update tomorrow.

Friendly comment, that.

The important thing is a vacation is a thing for you to enjoy. You take the train to enjoy the journey. So the only rule you must follow, my friend, is to enjoy yourself.

Here in Flagstaff we are anticipating some long awaited rain and snow tomorrow. I hope your SWC Chief trip is enjoyable. I like Raton Pass and northern New Mexico best on this route. The natives will probably be selling their wares on Albuquerque platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Those are the kind of things that drive many of us nuts. The problem was being handled automatically and proactively, to the customers satisfaction, yet the phone agents were dismissive instead of encouraging. Yes sir, we are set up to do this for you, it is already in the works. They got it right, and somehow snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory....

Enjoy your trip. Thank you for keeping us posted of your progress so far.

I strongly recommend a preemptive rebooking of your next leg, along with the hotel of your choice in Chicago.
Agreed. You can find pretty cheap hotel rooms downtown this time of year. It's brutally cold, which will keep (some) tourists away. Plus it's Sunday.

Download the Hotel Tonight app or check out http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/. I see multiple Hilton properties with prices between $65-80.
Thanks, SarahZ, for mentioning the Hotel Tonight app. My flight home was canceled due to more snow in Atlanta and I found a good deal in a few minutes near the LAX airport. Very slick app.

I had just traveled 19 > 1 and thought about taking Amtrak back to Atlanta....but work would not have been happy.

In 2002, my wife and I were to take the Sunset Limited from Orlando to Los Angeles. I called Amtrak the day before our departure for something, only to be told that it had been annulled, due to a freight derailment in Texas. We had reserved a bedroom six months before, and this was a major trip for us. I had also used Amtrak Vacations to arrange for our hotel and sightseeing, so this was a big deal. I did essentially what everyone here was telling the OP to do; I called Amtrak immediately and asked what the plan would be. They said they were willing to work with me on it. Knowing the Amtrak route system, I asked if there were sleepers available on the Silver Meteor to DC, the Capital Limited to Chicago, and the southwest Chief to LA. One train at a time, the agent checked and found a bedroom, two of which were handicapped. As she checked each one, she made the reservation immediately, so no one else could snag it. We would be two days late into LA, but we would still have five of our planned seven days there. We accepted that, and the agent stayed on the line and got Amtrak Vacations on for me. Before leaving, she said that it had been a good idea to proactively call Amtrak, and avoid the mess that would be at the station the next day. Granted, this was a day early, but Amtrak had only just started to call people, and they weren’t likely to reach everyone. Amtrak Vacations called the hotel with me on the line, and changed our rezzie to two days later. The sightseeing portions were vouchers, so we could still use them anytime during the trip. Everything worked out well.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

In 2002, my wife and I were to take the Sunset Limited from Orlando to Los Angeles. I called Amtrak the day before our departure for something, only to be told that it had been annulled, due to a freight derailment in Texas. We had reserved a bedroom six months before, and this was a major trip for us. I had also used Amtrak Vacations to arrange for our hotel and sightseeing, so this was a big deal. I did essentially what everyone here was telling the OP to do; I called Amtrak immediately and asked what the plan would be. They said they were willing to work with me on it. Knowing the Amtrak route system, I asked if there were sleepers available on the Silver Meteor to DC, the Capital Limited to Chicago, and the southwest Chief to LA. One train at a time, the agent checked and found a bedroom, two of which were handicapped. As she checked each one, she made the reservation immediately, so no one else could snag it. We would be two days late into LA, but we would still have five of our planned seven days there. We accepted that, and the agent stayed on the line and got Amtrak Vacations on for me. Before leaving, she said that it had been a good idea to proactively call Amtrak, and avoid the mess that would be at the station the next day. Granted, this was a day early, but Amtrak had only just started to call people, and they weren’t likely to reach everyone. Amtrak Vacations called the hotel with me on the line, and changed our rezzie to two days later. The sightseeing portions were vouchers, so we could still use them anytime during the trip. We decided to go to the station that day, and pick up the tickets, to avoid the mess the next day. Everything worked out well.

Thanks, SarahZ, for mentioning the Hotel Tonight app. My flight home was canceled due to more snow in Atlanta and I found a good deal in a few minutes near the LAX airport. Very slick app.

I had just traveled 19 > 1 and thought about taking Amtrak back to Atlanta....but work would not have been happy.
You are most welcome. That app has helped me numerous times, and not just for last-minute accommodations. I often use it to plan weekend getaways as well.

Couple of questions... Should he call and check if he has been rebooked by Amtrak already? Sometimes they do it when they know it is going to be a miss...
In fact, they did this to me without notifying me once, when a rebooking was unacceptable (I was missing the funeral I was planning to go to). You can believe I chewed them out for that one.

Back