Accommodations in Chicago-Missed Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly recommend a preemptive rebooking of your next leg, along with the hotel of your choice in Chicago. Don't wait for Amtrak, they won't help you until all the rooms are sold out tomorrow.

I strongly recommend a preemptive rebooking of your next leg, along with the hotel of your choice in Chicago.
Agreed. You can find pretty cheap hotel rooms downtown this time of year. It's brutally cold, which will keep (some) tourists away. Plus it's Sunday.

Download the Hotel Tonight app or check out http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/. I see multiple Hilton properties with prices between $65-80.

I would much rather spend $80 on a hotel room and enjoy a night in Chicago than spend 2-3 days in Coach, but YMMV. (I know what it's like to be on a budget.)

Couple of questions... Should he call and check if he has been rebooked by Amtrak already? Sometimes they do it when they know it is going to be a miss....Then if they haven't, he can do it at that point to grab the room...Wouldn't the hotel, cab fare and a dew dollars meal money be on Amtrak? My last miss I was put in the Swissotel, that wasn't bad.

Not sure if anything has changed.....

Oy gevaldt, the tsuris you are having Adrouault! But the adventure you will have, and all the kvetching you can inflict upon your grandchildren! May your adventure never be boring!

I see unfortunately that 49 is not due Chicago Now until 4:28 pm. Highly unlikely that 3 would be held. I’ll be watching![emoji78]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Mondays (1/08) SWC#3 is Currently showing One Room Available CHI-LAX, the Family Bedroom for $751.

Available Roomettes are shown for #5 with connections in SAC for LAX on a San Joaquin/Bus Combo @ various Fares and for #27 CHI-PDX with a connection to #11 in PDX for LAX for $1,000+!!

Doesn't look like you'll make CHI under 8 Hours Late, I'd say call AGR/Amtrak BEFORE arrival into CHI!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now we're at South Bend. The SWC has shown up on the ASM tracker, so I guess once I'm done with a streak of expletives that would make a sailor blush, I should call the Amtrak re accommodation line?
Yes. RIGHT NOW.

You need to keep calling!!!

If you get a messed-up itinerary that has you in Coach and spending the night in a O'Hare roach motel, you only have yourself to blame at this point.

Seriously, you have had numerous seasoned Amtrak travelers give you the same advice over and over here.

Arrived into Chicago at 4:38, 6 hours and 53 minutes late.

Before we arrived, and after having read about people being sent far out into the Chicago suburbs for the hotel stay, I looked for a hotel. Using Hotels.com rewards, I cashed in my points for a night at the Ritz. Currently at the hotel, about to go have dinner.

When I got off the train, and went over to the customer service area, the queue was forming VERY fast. People were getting more and more irked. The agents handled it decently, and I was assured that I'd have a roomette on tomorrow's SWC.

I checked my email at this point, on my phone, and saw that at 4:51 Chicago time, while I was still in line, Amtrak had sent a new itinerary with me in a sleeper.

So, all in all, handled quite well.

Don’t be bad mouthing Ohio, you from that place up north!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Chicago is a great city for tourism, but the weather is not in your favor. Glad they did the right thing and handled the rebooking automatically. Hopefully, even though you didn't use their hotel, they still gave you the cab and meal stipend. I can understand wanting to lock down a nice place, especially if it is points and not out of pocket, they have some pretty nice hotels in good spots, but have also used out of the way places, it is anybody's guess based on availability. I consider myself very lucky, I've gotten the Swissotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back