A Chihuahua Dog in CZ Bedroom 0n 8/16-8/17-What the heck!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the dog was "quiet and well behaved" as the OP says, and the owners at some point said it is a service dog and were able to describe the service it performs, there's not much Amtrak can do. The OP says it was AT the table, not ON the table. If it were on the table, then I'd certainly expect the staff to request the animal be moved to at least the seat.

As much as I too delight in teasing about the Chihuahua being a "rat dog" or not a real dog, they do provide legitimate services.

http://www.petchidog.com/chihuahua-service-dog

The OP says it was AT the table, not ON the table. If it were on the table, then I'd certainly expect the staff to request the animal be moved to at least the seat.
If I were sitting at that table, "on the seat" wouldn't do. I'd ask for it to be moved to the floor. Especially if I were sharing the bench seat with its owner.

I agree with your sentiment, but there is an exception to the "on the floor, not the seat" rule for a service animal that performs a service that requires it to be next to its owner such as some seizure detection dogs. But unless we know what the whole story is, we are all just guessing.

I took the OP's statement of "and fed him at the table!" to mean the dog was provided food on the table. For most dogs, that would require them to be up on the seat, in order to reach the food.

I am a dog person, but I would shudder to think I might have my own food on a dish, from which, a dog previously ate. Even if washed, it would upset me.

Chihuahuas are smart little rats that can be trained for many things--once they get over their "I'm smarter than you are" attitude. I have met 2 that are certified service animals. One was trained to alert a diabetic to dangerous blood sugar levels, and the other could sense when its epileptic owner was about to have a seizure. Both need to be with their owners at all times, even at meals. But not ON the table. It helps that they fit nicely into a purse!

Listen folks, the rules are the rules and are meant to be there for a reason. Ask yourself, do you want a dog eating at your table at any dining establishment ? This should not be tolerated.
Just by way of info, I've seen it off and on in Europe. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I wouldn't see a problem with the dog being out of its carrier inside the roomette, but I can't believe there are actually people defending the dog being allowed at the table. That is a health risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't see a problem with the dog being out of its carrier inside the roomette, but I can't believe there are actually people defending the dog being allowed at the table. That is a health risk.
If it's the type of service dog that needs to be close to it's owner (to detect seizures or diabetes as others have suggested), then it needs to be out of its carrier and it needs to be with the owner 24/7. It's probably no more of a health risk than the stranger sitting next to you or across the table from you.

I like what Cina said: "I like animals, but no. Your dog can eat with you at home, or at dog-friendly restaurants, but in a public place where people have not explicitly agreed to a meal with animals, no. It shows a disrespect for others to assume everyone else in the dining car is okay with having your dog as a dinner partner."

In my opinion it also works with pajamas (but that is another thread): "I like pajamas, but no. Your pajamas can eat with you at home, or at pajama-friendly restaurants, but in a public place where people have not explicitly agreed to a meal with pajamas, no. It shows a disrespect for others to assume everyone else in the dining car is okay with having your pajamas as a dinner partner."

Aaaaaaaand here we go... *really wishes we had a munching popcorn emoticon here*
smiley_32.gif

And none of what many of us feel actually matters because the law requires that service animals be permitted in food service cars, and in food stores, and in restaurants. Amtrak has no say in the matter. That being said, there is an obvious problem with those who choose to game the system with fake claims of "service dog", but that is a totally different issue. As an aside, NY just amended its health code to allow dogs at the tables of outdoor cafe sections of restaurants, so somebody must want it.

Chihuahuas are smart little rats that can be trained for many things--once they get over their "I'm smarter than you are" attitude. I have met 2 that are certified service animals. One was trained to alert a diabetic to dangerous blood sugar levels, and the other could sense when its epileptic owner was about to have a seizure. Both need to be with their owners at all times, even at meals. But not ON the table. It helps that they fit nicely into a purse!
I have no scientific or medical evidence to say whether or not having a dog at the dining table causes problems.

However, for those who dislike pets at dining table... just consider this... do Amtrak employees(including the cooks) ALWAYS wash their hands after going to the restroom and/or scratch parts of their body or after they sneeze? :) :) :) :( :( :(

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised by this. After all, it is

Dog-Days-of-Summer-Logo-web.jpg

:hi:

Thank you. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitstaff...unless you believe they are already compensated enough.

If you don't like dogs in restaurants --- do not go to Europe. It is very common there for dogs to be at the feet of their owners in restaurants.

I was on a short Amtrak trip on the NEC recently, and there was a Chihuahua being held and being fed peanut butter out of a jar.
Probably the best thing for it to eat, so as to glue its mouth shut for a while. <_<

I like animals, but no. Your dog can eat with you at home, or at dog-friendly restaurants, but in a public place where people have not explicitly agreed to a meal with animals, no. It shows a disrespect for others to assume everyone else in the dining car is okay with having your dog as a dinner partner.
The SCA (with backup from the LSA if necessary) could have insisted on delivering meals to the room. Or the humans could take turns eating in the dining car. There are alternatives that keep the dog out of the diner (and the cafe for that matter, unless its name is Hebrew National).

If the dog was a service dog (if it wasn't it should not be allowed in the sleeper under any circumstance) unless it was not behaving properly, Amtrak can not legally keep it out of the diner. That's the law. If the crew insisted on denying access, you end up with an ADA complaint and possible lawsuit.

I am a dog lover, but my dog is not allowed at our dinner table or

is not fed human foods. I know the 7 hour rule and service dog rule

are not enforced, but I have not been inconvenienced by dogs on

the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back