Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Questions for first time AMTRAK travelers for long-distance trip.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#41 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

From Hampton Inn Elizabethtown KY (where it's raining cats and dogs and I'm not looking forward to the drive home to Chicago)--

In viewof that I know both Mr. Bowen and his Father face to face, I must respect their position that two 200+lbs men can do a Roomette. They are far more avid than I. On this trip enroute back from Atlanta (driving it straight through was college stuff), a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL routing was simply "not in my deck of cards" (flying was, but with change of plans I CX'd and took the $200 "hit").

But volks, Mr/s. Savannah are first timers, and this arduous three night journey, especially considering that SAV-CLT-DFW flight time is about six hours, there is just too much chance these first timers will be never agains.

From Hampton Inn Elizabethtown KY (where it's raining cats and dogs and I'm not looking forward to the drive home to Chicago)--

In viewof that I know both Mr. Bowen and his Father face to face, I must respect their position that two 200+lbs men can do a Roomette. They are far more avid than I. On this trip enroute back from Atlanta (driving it straight through was college stuff), a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL routing was simply "not in my deck of cards" (flying was, but with change of plans I CX'd and took the $200 "hit").

But volks, Mr/s. Savannah are first timers, and this arduous three night journey, especially considering that SAV-CLT-DFW flight time is about six hours, there is just too much chance these first timers will be never agains.

But if they don’t try now, they may never try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

We've never tried before. My dad is a senior citizen, and we're both sub 160 lbs, so I don't think the roomette will be an issue.

Even if we never try again, we have always wanted to do it at least once. Since my dad has a fear of flying, and we've ridden Greyhound crosscountry from Savannah to San Diego before, we decided to try Amtrak this time.

If you've done cross-country bus, you'll love Amtrak.  ;)   I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses, but the way people on here talk about the buses vs trains, I figure you'll love the train.  The great thing about the train, vs bus or plane, is you can get up and walk around whenever you feel like it.  

#42 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

You’ll be absolutely fine.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#43 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

If you've done cross-country bus, you'll love Amtrak.  ;)   I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses, but the way people on here talk about the buses vs trains, I figure you'll love the train.  The great thing about the train, vs bus or plane, is you can get up and walk around whenever you feel like it.

I second that! I did cross-country bus as a young adult, and swore "never again." On the other hand, I did cross-country train as a young adult, and couldn't wait to get back to it. Hub and I did it once in coach, then tried roomette for part of the next trip. Once I discovered how NICE it is to be rocked to sleep on a flat surface (i.e. roomette bed), I never looked back. Can't say how many times I've done it now, but the "big trip" was a three-week round-the-country tour with only a couple of short DAYTIME segments by bus.

Now a Senior Citizen, I am taking my umpteenth cross-country trip this winter. I am not a "foamer" (train enthusiast), but I think it is a truly civilized way to travel! There is nothing like sipping a cup of tea at a real table as you watch the scenery roll by, then strolling to the diner for a meal with more scenery, then sleeping on a relatively comfy flat surface in a private compartment (and more scenery as soon as it's light out).

As long as one of you is agile enough to climb into a top bunk, you will have a wonderful time, and I predict you will be back for more.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#44 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Lounge is certainly a plus on SL trains, but the ability to look out of a window at night in the upper of a VL is pretty nice

#45 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Mr. AmtrakBlue, by short I hope you mean twenty miles or less. During this past August, I did a tour from Salzburg to Hitler's Eagles Nest at Bechtersgarten.

The tour operator had intercity MAN busses, which our bus freaks around here will likely say are the best out there. I met some great people including a Russian girl who was there to help me around @ 2500m of altitude.

But 40km in each direction was quite enough.

Finally, when the tour company is done with those busses, pity the one who buys them used.

Edited by GBNorman, 31 October 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#46 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses....  

Mr. Blue, by short I hope you mean twenty miles or less. Last year I did a tour from Salzburg to Hitler's Eagles Nest at Bechtersgarten.

The tour operator had intercity MAN busses, which our bus freaks around here will likely say are the best out there. I met some great people including a Russian girl who was there to help me around @ 2500m of altitude.

But 40km in each direction was quite enough.

Finally, when the tour company is done with those busses, pity the one who buys them used.
Ms Norman, I’m sorry to hear you have such low comfort tolerance. I do quite fine on long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#47 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

Mlle Norman, certainly you are not so self centered as to realize that other people have different tolerances and that not everyone shares your delicate sensibilities and can handle the horror of riding in a roomette, or in coach, or G-d forbid, a bus!
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#48 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Messrs. Blue and Ryan, of course I'm aware that many others are more willing to rough it to get somewhere than am I. It's just simple: any travel at age 76 I do is discretionary, and if there is no dough to go as I want, then it's simply no go.

Oh just in case one wonders, I did go to Fredericksburg VA last weekend and flew in "the Gulag" to Richmond (rent beyond). It was fine as the aircraft both ways were Embraer-145's with single seating on one side. I had a seat way aft in both directions which made for great flightseeing (EconoPlus was amidship over the wings - no views).

#49 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Attached File  51afTmp-iPL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg   51.17KB   8 downloads

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#50 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

GBNorman, please stop calling me MR. Blue.  My "name" is AmtrakBlue.  And as you can see under my avatar I am a female. 

AmtrakBlue
  •  

#51 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Messrs. Blue and Ryan, of course I'm aware that many others are more willing to rough it to get somewhere than am I. It's just simple: any travel at age 76 I do is discretionary, and if there is no dough to go as I want, then it's simply no go.

That's well and good - go if you want, stay home if you want.  But you don't need to make negative comments about accommodations, be they on a train, plane or bus that imply no one should use those accommodations or that no one can possibly like those accommodations. 

#52 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

Yes Ms. Blue, now that I am viewing the site at my desktop computer and can review your profile more readily, I do note you have chosen to share your gender. From a phone, it was difficult to make out that avatar you choose to use and unless a user chooses to select "full site" mode on a phone, gender and location of a Member are not reported.

Within your immediate posting you imply that my thought  a Roomette is a single person accommodation unless one is prepared to sacrifice creature comforts (I used the term "bivouac") is negative simply contradicts your "well and good" thought. Neither of us know face to face Mr/s Savannah as I do Mr. Bowen and his Father.  Both are Navy veterans and can accept living within tight quarters. Mr/s Savannah may or may not accept the tight quarters represented by a double occupancy Roomette, but our discussion here will hopefully enable them to make the choice.

Finally, I'm certain all of us here are governed by a very finite intangible - $$$$$. Those who choose to compromise travel conditions away from that found at home will be able to travel further than one such as myself who values my creature comforts over distance traveled.  With that point having been said, how say we call a truce.

#53 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

I think the guest's question was answered, and then some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users