Quantcast

Photo

Amtrak ticketing to be integrated into iPhone Passbook?

60 replies to this topic

#41 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't want to upgrade to iOS 6 and lose google maps. Folks with an iPhone 4, if you upgrade your software, does google maps go away?

Yes, Google Maps is replaced by Apple Maps with upgrade to iOS 6, including on iPhone 3Gs and 4. On iPhone 3Gs and 4, turn-by-turn navigation and flyover are not available.

#42 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

For all of the internet rage, Apple Maps don't seem to be noticeably worse than Google Maps for me.

Also, Google Maps are still available by pointing Safari at maps.google.com.
TrainSig.jpg

#43 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

It's definitely been fun watching all the reactions to the Apple maps. Some of the more egregious examples are here -- The Amazing iOS 6 Maps -- and the Washington state DOT put out a press release -- Tacoma Narrows Bridges appear melted in new Web maps -- in response to a very funny picture of Galloping Gertie. Must have been a slow news day.
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#44 NE933

NE933

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak as an entity; existential subjects like fate, reason, and truth; various sciences; homosexuality; meditation and recovery; psychology and mental illnesses; spirituality and the supernatural.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I am so sick of hearing about this brand that I was an apple was just a forbidden fruit on a tree in Eden. Or the main ingredient in my grandfather's pie.

#45 TraneMan

TraneMan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy the outdoors, camping, hiking, and being with my family and friends.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

I am sure over time, there will be updates for stores and Amtrak to able to use the Passbook. I looked at the new map, and I'm ok with it..

I did get Target on my passbook.

Amtrak Train travel.

Empire Builder 15,753
Silver Meteor = 668
Capital Limited = 780
Hiawatha Service = 172

Cascade = 312
Lincoln Service= 640 

Total = 18,325

Routes completed

Empire Builder 7 and 8.

Capital Limited 29.

Hiawatha. 

First travel was 1990.

(updated 7/16/14)

#46 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

I am sure over time, there will be updates for stores and Amtrak to able to use the Passbook. I looked at the new map, and I'm ok with it..

I did get Target on my passbook.

United Airlines updated their app for Passbook yesterday.

#47 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

I don't want to upgrade to iOS 6 and lose google maps. Folks with an iPhone 4, if you upgrade your software, does google maps go away?

Yes. Goes away on all phones that upgrade to iOS6. It has been reported that Google already has a replacement app submitted. Just waiting for Apple to approve it.

#48 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

It doesn't go away, you just have to use Safari to get to it. It isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty darn close.
TrainSig.jpg

#49 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

It doesn't go away, you just have to use Safari to get to it. It isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty darn close.

Well, yes it does. The native APP does go away.

What you are referring to is a web app. And yes, it is similar, but not near as good as the native app was.

#50 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yes, I know what a web app is.

In what way do you think that it's not as good?
TrainSig.jpg

#51 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

I can think of several like it is not full screen, there is no tapping the bottom right corner to get to options (they are now taking up space on screen), you cannot tap on a location marker and go to a separate screen where it has all the places info and the ability to add to contacts etc. There is plenty more but kinda difficult to explain each and every little detail that is not as smooth and easy to use/find.

For a web app, it is excellent. But I don't think anyone (else) would say it is near as good as the native app was.

#52 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I cant access the Street View from the web app like I could from the native app.

#53 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

BOOOO to apple for this ridiculous downgrade. I only have the 4 so I will just keep piddling along with my current iOS.

I also hear the apple map product does not have public transit directions, nor can you see the transit lines at a particular station. That is a particularly egregious omission when one considers how many urban dwellers use iPhones and rely on the google maps to help them out with that information in the city.

#54 trainman74

trainman74

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

On iPhone 3Gs and 4, turn-by-turn navigation and flyover are not available.

The iPhone 4 does have the turn-by-turn navigation; there's just no voice announcement of the turns (because doing so depends on Siri, which is not available on the iPhone 4).

#55 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Just got notice of an Amtrak app update. Thought for sure it was for Passbook. Nope. Still does not show up in there.

#56 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Just got notice of an Amtrak app update. Thought for sure it was for Passbook. Nope. Still does not show up in there.

The update does allow passbook for the Amtrak app. However it won't show up in Passbook until you actually have a ticket code to display. Otherwise the app wont show in passbook.
What I want to know is when will auto Train tickets show in the Amtrak app?

Edited by Allypet, 23 September 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#57 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,750 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Probably never.

There is no need for Amtrak to bother to overcome the issues involved with the AT, since the AT doesn't collect tickets or even eTickets onboard the train.

The new system currently in place seems to work quite well for them, so I don't expect that they'll bother to try and change things.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#58 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

The update does allow passbook for the Amtrak app. However it won't show up in Passbook until you actually have a ticket code to display. Otherwise the app wont show in passbook.

I have tickets and they are not showing. The app is also not listed in the App Store under Passbook.

#59 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have tickets and they are not showing. The app is also not listed in the App Store under Passbook.

Did you log back into the Amtrak app and looked up your tickets again? I'm curious to see if it works. I only have AT tickets right now, so I cant check.

#60 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yes. They reformatted the app a bit. But I see no way to get the info into passbook.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users