#41 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

Interesting link, but my point still stands - having hypoallergenic dogs helps lessen the severity of the reaction, but doesn't eliminate entirely it for everyone.
TrainSig.jpg

#42 Guest_bennett feinstein_*

Guest_bennett feinstein_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Most airlines allow small pets in secure carriers that fit under the seat. The only serious effect of Amtrak's anti-pet policy is that they lose customers to the airlines. I have been on flights with my own small dog and have watched other small dogs. They go to sleep calmly at their owners' feet, tucked under the seat. If you leave your dog during an 8 hour work day, they can hold their functions for a trip. I urge people to write an email to Amtrak customer service and express their dissatisfaction with the anti-pet policy. Let those in charge consider a cost analysis of howmuch more revenue they would bring in if they followed the airlines' example. (BTW, you pay a $50 fee on most airlines, not a full ticket price.)

#43 Guest_bennett feinstein_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Aloha

I love anamals period. After reading all the comments abouts pets in this thread I wonder about those people that would subject their pet to such a strange enviroment.

Moving, Service animal aside, placing a creature in uncomfortable surrounding's for my pleasure, I just don't understand those that say they love their pet and do this.

Ok off soapbox.
Eric

It is a lot stranger for the animal to be left behind. Pets are more than pleasure for many people - not only trained dogs are "therapy dogs" For many people their pets are an essential part of their mental health. Amtrak should follow the airlines' example and allow small pets in secure carriers on board and under the passenger's seat. All it would "cost" would be a lot of new riders who normally would fly or drive because of the Amtrak anti-pet policy.

#44 Guest_bennett feinstein_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Silly policy! Amtrak would have more passengers if animals were allowed, since driving seems to be the only way to move your pet with you. What about folks who dont drive? There would be a market there.

And really, what would most people prefer: a cute barking dog or an annoying crying baby?

In all my years of travelling on planes with small dogs in carriers under the seat I have never heard one bark. They are next to their owners and feel secure. My dogs have always slept the whole way through. No comments about babies - they are us and the cabin pressure hurts their ears.

#45 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

I know via rail used to allow pets but they had to be in a pet carrier and they had to ride in the baggage car. It was up to you to make sure they had enough food and water for the trip.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 30 September 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#46 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

Just stop.

Nobody wants to see your stupid dog on the train.
TrainSig.jpg

#47 Guest_bennett feinstein_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Problem is, where do you draw the line?? A little yapper dog is one thing, but what about the pet owner who wants to travel with their bull mastiff, Irish wolfhound, or Saint Bernard???

Better save Amtrak headaches by not allowing ANY pets.

Think: airlines. Small animals in secure carriers go under the seat. Large animals go in carriers in the baggage area. Dogs can hold their functions longer than most humans. I am frustrated to read comments such as this one that makes the idea of animals on trains sound like it comes from outer space. I love train travel and would much prefer paying Amtrak instead of an airline or a rental car business for my travels, but not if they forbid my dog.

#48 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Just stop.

Well I feel that way about children, but do we really have to rehash this whole thing? :P

Some people are pet people, some people are not pet people. At the end of the day, amtrak has made their decision and that is to not allow pets on the train. Us pet people can live with it, but there is no need to insult our dogs by calling them stupid.

#49 Guest_bennett feinstein_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Just stop.

This is inappropriate but it does reveal your true feelings, which have nothing to do with Amtrak's policies.

#50 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

No, I think it has more to do with your going through two pages worth of arguments and posting responses, one by one, as if there's any new insight.

And fyi-- I don't wanna see your stupid dog either.

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)
Amtrak Rail Miles: 34,568

My most recent Amtrak trip report!

All Aboard Ohio - Advocacy group for intercity travel in Ohio

#51 EB_OBS

EB_OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:Family, PC games, outdoors, and working for Amtrak.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Amtrak doesn't allow pets for many good reasons and none of them have anything to do with anyone's disliking animals.

1. 99% of pets are not trained.

2. Many pets are not socialized to public places and strange people.

3. Many people are allergic to pet hair.

4. Train travel is typically anywhere from 1 to 3 days. The longest flights in this country are what 6 to 8 hours?

5. Seats and rooms on a train can be used for many passengers boarding and detraining enroute. You pet sheds and this cannot typically be cleaned up effectively enroute. This is why even service animals are not allowed on the seats or beds.

6. It's difficult to limit and effectively prohibit some pets while allowing others.

I'm sure I can think of more. I have pets. I have 3 cats and 2 Boxers. They do not travel with us. They go to the kennel.

#52 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

I know via rail used to allow pets but they had to be in a pet carrier and they had to ride in the baggage car. It was up to you to make sure they had enough food and water for the trip.

VIA still does allow that, at least on the Candadian.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#53 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

No, I think it has more to do with your going through two pages worth of arguments and posting responses, one by one, as if there's any new insight.

Precisely. If you have anything new to add, compile all your arguments and write a coherent post. Going through and making post after post after post, rehashing the same arguments that you're clearly reading does absolutely no good.

You do realize that "This Web site is not operated by or affiliated with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AmtrakĀ®)." and so nobody that you're trying to influence is ever going to read it?
TrainSig.jpg

#54 mercedeslove

mercedeslove

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Amtrak doesn't allow pets for many good reasons and none of them have anything to do with anyone's disliking animals.

1. 99% of pets are not trained.

2. Many pets are not socialized to public places and strange people.

3. Many people are allergic to pet hair.

4. Train travel is typically anywhere from 1 to 3 days. The longest flights in this country are what 6 to 8 hours?

5. Seats and rooms on a train can be used for many passengers boarding and detraining enroute. You pet sheds and this cannot typically be cleaned up effectively enroute. This is why even service animals are not allowed on the seats or beds.

6. It's difficult to limit and effectively prohibit some pets while allowing others.

I'm sure I can think of more. I have pets. I have 3 cats and 2 Boxers. They do not travel with us. They go to the kennel.

1. Same goes for children

2. Same for children

3. I am allergic to small children and their endless crying and screaming.

Your argument is invalid.
Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

#55 Guest_jimhudson_*

Guest_jimhudson_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Since I am well known on this forum for never expressing a controversial opinion, ad always agreeing with everyone and everything they post: :lol: My take on this topic is:
Let the pax that cn't be without Fido or Fluffy for a few days (they do have Vets and pet Centers that take good care of your darlings!)ride in the baggage car with their pets. ut up signs like they have on the streets of New york and other cities! When the drug dogs come through, be sure they are in their cages/carriers so they wont be eaten/torn limb from limb!

Reasoning with animal rights activists and people that consider their pets as children/people is as difficult as trying to reason with gun nuts,tea party idiots or religious zealots, can't be done! So keep them off Amtrak, just like guns and drugs and tobacco (even though those are currently there too!) and the majority of passengers will be OK with that! Childern are not in this catagory, I admit some so called parents need leases themselves, but most are great, they are Amtraks future riders, get em while they are young! Just saying! ;)

#56 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

2. Same for children

1. False.

2. False.

3. Impossible. You may find it unpleasant, but that's a personal problem, not an allergy.
TrainSig.jpg

#57 mercedeslove

mercedeslove

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

2. Same for children

1. False.

2. False.

3. Impossible. You may find it unpleasant, but that's a personal problem, not an allergy.

1. Children are not trained, they are rude and obnoxious. They do whatever they can't whenever they want.

2. If you go to restaurants, stores, movie theaters. Children scream and cry and don't know how to behave in social situations around other people. Animals are way more behaved than these monsters

3. If the screaming banshee gives me a headache and makes me rage, I'd say that's an allergy, not a personal problem. The personal problem is the parents who think children are the center of the universe and its ok for them to behave like demons because 'they are just being kids'
Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

#58 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,375 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

It's clear that you're unwilling to listen to reason, so I'll stop the sniping back and forth. Suffice to say that my son doesn't act that way, and neither do the vast majority of his peers that I come into contact with (sports teams, scouts, etc).
TrainSig.jpg

#59 mercedeslove

mercedeslove

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

It's clear that you're unwilling to listen to reason, so I'll stop the sniping back and forth. Suffice to say that my son doesn't act that way, and neither do the vast majority of his peers that I come into contact with (sports teams, scouts, etc).

Probably because you don't see it since you are the parent and think your child is well behaved and golden. While everyone else sees the truth.

Why don't you just stop, no one wants to see your stupid kid on the train or anywhere else for that matter.
Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

#60 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

I dislike children and animals, however, children are humans and have rights to be on a train. Pets do not have the same rights.

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)
Amtrak Rail Miles: 34,568

My most recent Amtrak trip report!

All Aboard Ohio - Advocacy group for intercity travel in Ohio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users