Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_APA218

Can someone tell me, does the Zephyr keep its sleeper crew all the way chi -- emy ? As stated , party of four going in May. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. You all have been very helpful. Thanks again in advance. :D

Yes, the sleeper crew on the CZ stays the same.

The only long distance train in the US which probably swaps out the sleeping car crew and almost surely does, is the Sunset limited, perhaps at New Orleans??????(others can verify) .

In Canada the "Canadian" swaps out entire crew, dining car and all, at Winnepeg.

Bill Haithcoat said:
The only long distance train in the US which probably swaps out and almost surely does, is the Sunset limited, perhaps at New Orleans??????(others can verify).
Nope, I had the same sleeper attendant all the way from LAX to ORL and from ORL to LAX during my Sunset Ltd. trip in summer '03. The coach attendants, lounge car attendant, and dining car steward also remained onboard for the entire duration of the trip.

The only onboard crew swapping done on the Sunset Ltd. was we had one extra server in the dining room between San Antonio and Los Angeles (to handle the extra passengers onboard from the Texas Eagle).

Jccollins thanks for the correction/clariification.

But now I have another question. Does anybody know if the SL has ALWAYS run its crew straight through? I boarded it one night in NOL not too many years ago and rode it to JAX. I have the distinct impression that the attendant told me she had just boarded in NOL also. But I could be wrong.

BTW, JC, you mention riding it all the way both ways in "03. You have more guts(or faith) than I have. I would love to do the same thing but would be so afraid that half the trip would be bustituted or put on a plane....which would nullify the whole point.

How was the punctuality on that round trip?

My trip was right before the Sunset timekeeping had progressed to become as terrible as it is today. I left LAX on July 4, '03 w/ my grandma and we traveled to Disneyworld in a deluxe bedroom.

All the way out to Orlando we were EARLY, believe it or not. I remember sitting at several stations waiting to catch up to the clock. We got into Tucson 35 mins early and at several of the stops right after that we had to wait about 10-15 minutes. If I remember correctly we sat at the Alpine, TX station for a little over an hour waiting to catch up. Some of the passengers on our train kept getting mad that we had to wait at each station, but the others (myself included) took advantage of the extra time to get off and walk around at the stations. Our arrival into New Orleans was 55 minutes early, but our luck ended after that and we lost some time before Biloxi. The rest of our stops ran just a few minutes late or right on time, and we arrived into Orlando 25 minutes early.

The trip back wasn't quite as great timewise since we left Orlando an hour late (due to a mechanical problem with one of the locos). We got into NOL on time and left there on time, though. We ran on time (or about 20-30 minutes behind for parts) until just west of Tucson. After leaving Tucson on time we were delayed an hour and a half and never made up the time before LAX.

All in all it was a great trip and we both enjoyed it (except I did not care for the humidity in Orlando - grandma is used to it since she grew up in New York.) :rolleyes: :D

jccollins said:
After leaving Tucson on time we were delayed an hour and a half and never made up the time before LAX.
All in all it was a great trip and we both enjoyed it (except I did not care for the humidity in Orlando - grandma is used to it since she grew up in New York.) :rolleyes:   :D
Aloha

Your trip from Orlando seems much like mine several years earlier, even to my delay following Tucson

My reaction to the humidy was less than your grandmother, but I am also used to it :rolleyes: :D Just wish I could ride more trains, latist reaction that Travel for Business May not be "Pleasurable" to avoid tax penalties. :( Quote the Auditor.

Back