Zephyr - Upgrades and Expectations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BethChicago

Train Attendant
I am SO glad I found this board...all the information has been sooooo helpful!

A couple of questions to all you helpful train veterans.

My husband & I are planning on taking the Amtrak (CA Zephyr) out from Chicago to Grand Junction, CO. We have two boys, ages 4 & 5.5. We want the experience of the train, but unfortunately, don't have the budget to do the full "family bedroom" ($900+). But we also are wondering what 27 hours in coach seats with two small children will be like!!

One question - I was considering purchasing a "roomette" so at least one parent and one kid could sleep in "shifts." At $200, that might be worth it... Thoughts? But if we purchase one roomette, does that mean we give up our seats and the possibility of us all four of us sitting together at some points?

I've seen mentions of possible onboard upgrades, but not sure if there are "deals" to be had or not. I did see a "Sleeper Upgrade" area on AU where people can post their stories, but it seems that the last update was from Fall of 2009. Does anyone have any more recent thoughts or experiences on if onboard upgrades are possible or if they are any cheaper than getting them in advance?

Of course, also working against us is that we plan to travel on Good Friday, right as many others are likely heading out for Easter week vacation.

At the very least, I'm sure we'll be giving our boys an amazing first time experience on the train, with the hope of having the time and money to be back to do it fully "right" next time!

Thank you very much!

My husband & I are planning on taking the Amtrak (CA Zephyr) out from Chicago to Grand Junction, CO. We have two boys, ages 4 & 5.5. We want the experience of the train, but unfortunately, don't have the budget to do the full "family bedroom" ($900+). But we also are wondering what 27 hours in coach seats with two small children will be like!!

One question - I was considering purchasing a "roomette" so at least one parent and one kid could sleep in "shifts." At $200, that might be worth it... Thoughts? But if we purchase one roomette, does that mean we give up our seats and the possibility of us all four of us sitting together at some points?

I've seen mentions of possible onboard upgrades, but not sure if there are "deals" to be had or not. I did see a "Sleeper Upgrade" area on AU where people can post their stories, but it seems that the last update was from Fall of 2009. Does anyone have any more recent thoughts or experiences on if onboard upgrades are possible or if they are any cheaper than getting them in advance?

Of course, also working against us is that we plan to travel on Good Friday, right as many others are likely heading out for Easter week vacation.

At the very least, I'm sure we'll be giving our boys an amazing first time experience on the train, with the hope of having the time and money to be back to do it fully "right" next time!

Thank you very much!
Purchasing a roomette does mean giving up coach seats for the two people officially ticketed in the roomette.

"Hot bunking" in the way you describe really isn't officially allowed, there have been threads about that in the recent past. Whether or not you will be able to do will depend on your sleeping car attendant and other crew members. Sleeper attendants have a good sense of who belongs in their car and who does not. You'd need to make arrangements with him at boarding. Also, the diner car crew acts as gatekeepers to the sleepers, and will ordinarily stop people who they don't recognize as being in the sleepers.

Finally, as to meals, only the two people ticketed in the roomette will get the complimentary meals.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Since you say a Family Bedroom is $900, but a roomette is $200, have you considered getting two roomettes for a total of $400? If you call for a reservation, the agent may be able to get you roomettes across the hall from each other.

As to onboard upgrades, those are only possible if there is space available, and since you are traveling at peak Spring travel period, that is probably pretty chancy. Further, I would seriously doubt a Family Bedroom would be available, as there are only 2 on the Zephyr. It also depends on whether or not the conductor wants to do the paperwork for it. Although that is the policy, all too frequently conductors won't do it. Finally, $200 for a roomette between Chicago and Grand Junction would seem to be a lower bucket. You might not do any better by trying for a chancy onboard upgrade. In any case, you wouldn't do much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hot bunking" in the way you describe really isn't officially allowed, there have been threads about that in the recent past. Whether or not you will be able to do will depend on your sleeping car attendant and other crew members.
Yes, this could be a major problem. I've had it go both ways, sometimes the SCA seems cool with it or simply oblivious to it. Other times they are quite obviously upset. So far I've never been kicked off a train for any reason but this is something you'd need to square away with the SCA right from the start if you don't want to risk any trouble, and with kids on-board you obviously wouldn't. It will be up to the SCA as to what they'll allow and you'll simply have to go with it. That means you won't know what will happen until you're actually boarding the train and chatting with the SCA. That's a little late to find out if you ask me. There are some tricks you can play on the staff to bend the rules and get what you want but, again, if I was traveling with children I wouldn't risk any of that nonsense. Coach is not nearly as horrible as some folks on here make it out to be. I've ridden coach myself many times, including overnight as a child, and it's quite doable for anyone who isn't at death's door. When I was a boy it was no problem at all so I would imagine it will be even easier for your kids than for you! As for on board upgrades I've yet to have any luck with that. Apparently many conductors just don't like dealing with the paperwork of selling you a room and simply pretend there are never any rooms available on any train they're in charge of. I guess you could call up Amtrak via your mobile phone while on-board and see if there are rooms available and then confront and/or beg the conductor to sell you one. Or you could ask the SCA's if they have any available as they should have an idea as well. But I don't know that they'd be willing to help you convince the conductor, unless you were willing to dangle a big fat tip in front of them. In any case I hope you enjoy your trip and come back to tell us how it went!

Hi,

I have taken the Zephyr many times, and observed families with young children enjoying the trip too. With four seats abreast, or two in front, two behind, you will be able to create your own little "mobile train camp". The seats are very roomy and do recline. You can walk up and down the train to ease the boredom, visit the snack bar, or the dinner, and lounge in the lounge car, with it's big windows. Chances are there will be other youngsters aboard, so your children might make some temporary new friends.

(You will be almost 100% unable to find a cheap upgrade once on board, and in any case, I am sure you won't find a roomette any cheaper than $200 on the day..The rooms are never sold any cheaper than the basic price anyway, they just get dearer!)

I would say book the coach seats, bring some toys or books, some picnic food, and just enjoy the adventure!!

Ed :cool:

Thanks everyone. Hadn't heard that "hot bunking" term since I was at a museum exhibit concerning the WWII ships!

Really hadn't thought of it that way - I was just thinking that we could come & go out of the room that we purchased, but I guess they are pretty specific to WHO purchases!

At most, I think we might have tried to have me sleep in the top bunk and my two kids sleep in the bottom bunk of the "roomette". But if it keeps us apart the majority of the trip (since it would be a coach seat OR roomette), that's no fun. Would rather be together in coach.

Funny, someone mentioned a "heavy tip" to secure an upghrade - perhaps in jest. It's funny - I've done that in Vegas, offer $20 and got a room upgrade. Seems to be a very acceptable and common practice there. But from what I'm reading online here, it isn't likely an acceptable or welcome practice...perhaps even offensive!

So I guess even tho not likely, I could always ASK about an upgrade. The worst they could say is no...no room...here's the price (and I can accept or not). But I'm wondering who and when I ask, as that answer seems to vary, based on the various board threads that I've read. When I get on board?

Overall, thanks to your help and your encouragement that coach is indeed survivable and even fun!

Thanks everyone. Hadn't heard that "hot bunking" term since I was at a museum exhibit concerning the WWII ships!

Really hadn't thought of it that way - I was just thinking that we could come & go out of the room that we purchased, but I guess they are pretty specific to WHO purchases!

At most, I think we might have tried to have me sleep in the top bunk and my two kids sleep in the bottom bunk of the "roomette". But if it keeps us apart the majority of the trip (since it would be a coach seat OR roomette), that's no fun. Would rather be together in coach.

Funny, someone mentioned a "heavy tip" to secure an upghrade - perhaps in jest. It's funny - I've done that in Vegas, offer $20 and got a room upgrade. Seems to be a very acceptable and common practice there. But from what I'm reading online here, it isn't likely an acceptable or welcome practice...perhaps even offensive!

So I guess even tho not likely, I could always ASK about an upgrade. The worst they could say is no...no room...here's the price (and I can accept or not). But I'm wondering who and when I ask, as that answer seems to vary, based on the various board threads that I've read. When I get on board?

Overall, thanks to your help and your encouragement that coach is indeed survivable and even fun!
If you ask at the station, you will get quoted the current bucket for the room. Once onboard, the upgrade will be priced at the lowest possible bucket for that accommodation. Only the conductor/assistant conductor can do the upgrade, because only they can do ticketing. If you are boarding in Chicago, ask after you have boarded and are underway, since they lift tickets before boarding there, IIRC, and if you ask then, they'll just direct you to go to the ticket counter.

The T&E crew members do not accept tips, and may well find it offensive. The onboard service crew (the attendants, waiters) can and do accept tips, but they do not have the authority to cut you an upgrade. However, don't feel shy about asking anyone, because they'll point out the conductor, or even tell him that they have a passenger interested in an upgrade when they see him.

With that said, coach is comfortable, and the attendant might even turn two sets of seats so they face each other. Sometimes they have one or two sets at the end already set up that way for families. It makes for a nice space for a family, however, note that it will interfere with the amount the seats can recline for one set of seats.

Personally I don't see how Amtrak is getting screwed, so long as only two (2) "free" meals are coming out of a roomette why do they care? But apparently at least some of the SCA's care a lot.

It's not impossible to request what you're suggesting. An adult and two kids in the roomette would be fine and you could all meet-up in the lounge car anytime you wanted. Which adult was with the kids in the sleeper is technically based on whoever was ticketed with them, but I seriously doubt the ob-board staff would throw a fit over parents exchanging kid duty, so to speak.

I've never once seen any SCA take offense at a tip, and that's the target I was intending to convey, although on second reading I certainly could have been a bit more clear about it. Needless to say I would not suggest tipping the conductor or anyone else in lieu of a purchased upgrade. That could go very badly depending on who you made the offer to.

It's a lot like a domestic first class seat on an airline, but a bit more bumpy and with a much larger window but no free drinks. As with any commercial transport your experience can vary drastically depending on your seatmates, but so long as you book in even numbers you are generally going to be fine.

Personally I don't see how Amtrak is getting screwed, so long as only two (2) "free" meals are coming out of a roomette why do they care? But apparently at least some of the SCA's care a lot.
Amtrak sells the extra comfort of a sleeper accommodation to specific individuals who purchase such a ticket. If you only paid for coach, you are stealing the service from Amtrak.

What are you stealing? The price difference between two roomettes, or some other sleeper accommodation.

While not all the time, one better be prepared to show a sleeper ticket stub to any Amtrak employee asking, especially the diner crew who (as mentioned previously) do indeed keep track of such things.

BTW, having gotten away with stealing from Amtrak in the past, does not make it right.

Amtrak sells the extra comfort of a sleeper accommodation to specific individuals who purchase such a ticket. If you only paid for coach, you are stealing the service from Amtrak. What are you stealing? The price difference between two roomettes, or some other sleeper accommodation.
Personally I don't think it's a huge deal if I let someone have a nap in my half-used compartment on a sold-out sleeper consist. Amtrak's costs haven't risen and there was no way to buy any more rooms so what's the big deal? Some SCA's are cool with this and some are not. Maybe when Amtrak brings more sleepers online or brings back slumbercoaches or whatever I'll treat this a bit more seriously. Until then I think it's a bit overblown. Almost as if I accused Amtrak of ripping me off just because I am forced to pay for nearly inedible convection-wave meals that require me to be absolutely starving to eat.

I've never once seen any SCA take offense at a tip, and that's the target I was intending to convey, although on second reading I certainly could have been a bit more clear about it. Needless to say I would not suggest tipping the conductor or anyone else in lieu of a purchased upgrade. That could go very badly depending on who you made the offer to.
That is absolutely true for an SCA...however, an SCA cannot do an upgrade, only a conductor can do that and they do NOT take tips. It might help, possibly a lot, in securing permission to trade off people in a room, though.

Hi,

I am always amazed at how Amtrak trains can be hours late, employees can be rude, lazy, or just plain plain indifferent. The dinner can break down, run out of items, the sleeper attendant can be invisible.. but thats all fine, isn't it?

The idea that a parent and child book a sleeper and then exchange with the other parent and child in coach to all get some rest is suddenly a major crime to some folk.

Travel broadens the mind, they say.. but not for everyone, methinks!

Hi,

I am always amazed at how Amtrak trains can be hours late, employees can be rude, lazy, or just plain plain indifferent. The dinner can break down, run out of items, the sleeper attendant can be invisible.. but thats all fine, isn't it?

The idea that a parent and child book a sleeper and then exchange with the other parent and child in coach to all get some rest is suddenly a major crime to some folk.

Travel broadens the mind, they say.. but not for everyone, methinks!

I don't think anyone said they thought it was reasonable, but were just making sure the OP had knowledge and warning about what she might expect to encounter. It would be pretty nasty to run into a serious problem with an Amtrak stickler with two small children present when folks here had some knowledge about the possible situations she could encounter. I, for one, would feel quite badly if we hadn't warned her and said, don't worry, it is perfectly reasonable and Amtrak ought to allow it, and the OP had run into problems on what should be a fun family vacation.

It may be unfortunate reality, but it is reality. And reality has this odd pattern of winning out.

Thank you very much!
Purchasing a roomette does mean giving up coach seats for the two people officially ticketed in the roomette.

"Hot bunking" in the way you describe really isn't officially allowed, there have been threads about that in the recent past. Whether or not you will be able to do will depend on your sleeping car attendant and other crew members. Sleeper attendants have a good sense of who belongs in their car and who does not. You'd need to make arrangements with him at boarding. Also, the diner car crew acts as gatekeepers to the sleepers, and will ordinarily stop people who they don't recognize as being in the sleepers.

Finally, as to meals, only the two people ticketed in the roomette will get the complimentary meals.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Since you say a Family Bedroom is $900, but a roomette is $200, have you considered getting two roomettes for a total of $400? If you call for a reservation, the agent may be able to get you roomettes across the hall from each other.

As to onboard upgrades, those are only possible if there is space available, and since you are traveling at peak Spring travel period, that is probably pretty chancy. Further, I would seriously doubt a Family Bedroom would be available, as there are only 2 on the Zephyr. It also depends on whether or not the conductor wants to do the paperwork for it. Although that is the policy, all too frequently conductors won't do it. Finally, $200 for a roomette between Chicago and Grand Junction would seem to be a lower bucket. You might not do any better by trying for a chancy onboard upgrade. In any case, you wouldn't do much better.

If the budget allows purchasing two roomettes is definitely the way to go. You will enjoy the benfits of the first class Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago and have free meals throughout the trip. Will also have the benefit of a shower available and free coffee, juice and water in the sleeper. You can book roometees across the hall from each other by calling 1-800-USARAIL and ask for an agent.

I did this with my family on the Capitol Limited and it worked just fine.

BTW AU members, "Julie" is moonlighting at the Equifax 800 number. Sounded like she had a cold though.

We have 5 kids - so over the years I've tried about everything. They are very family friendly - really. They want you to have a good trip with your kids.

First - regarding switching folks in and out of the Roomette - I see no problem, we have done that without any issues. However - regarding the meals, it's quite simple....the same two people - who are also on the Rommette ticket - always get the meals. The other two just pay. But you can switch around who is sleeping, etc...

Also - I have seen them allow 2 kids in the Roomette with a parent (3 total). And the children were older than your ages... So one option... maybe Dad could sleep in coach? With two adjoining seats to himself (side by side). Take both kids with you to the Rommette.

I once had 3 daughters in a BR with me. The 3 of them shared the bottom bunk. I had the smaller top bunk to myself. In fact, my then teenage son was also with us - but he slipped out to the next car to find a seat - too crowded in our room. They were cool with all of that...

Also - don't worry about not having 4 coach seats together - with the Roomette option. On the Zephyr, you really don't want to spend a single minute in coach. The 4 of you should spend most of the daytime in the Sightseer car - which is much like a dome. The kids will love it. Also - the window in the Roomette is huge - nice view there too. And you may spend about 3 hours a day in the dinner (nice).

But if you could get 2 Roomette - and get them opposite of each other. One on each side, you then have a very good setup to stay together as a family, and look out both sides of the train. And that would include sleeping, meals, juice, bottled water for all 4 - plus use of the shower (nice). I would prefer that to the Family room option. Much better (I find two Roomette much better than a single Family Bedroom. But try to get an "Upper" Roomette - better views.

Keep in mind that while the upper roomette may have slightly nicer views in some cases it will also tend to have more of a swaying action that may or may not be to your liking. I've done both and don't mind either, but I think it's important to point that out.

"Julie" is moonlighting at the Equifax 800 number. Sounded like she had a cold though.
Probably from all the snow and cold in the Northeast!
mosking.gif
("Julie" lives in Boston!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back