Zephyr line from Atlanta to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carolyn

We will be riding AmTrak from Atlanta to NYC. How is the service and comfort of this trip?

First of all, you are not taking the Zephyr! Your train is the Crescent, not the California Zephyr. The California Zephyr runs from Chicago to Emeryville which is totally separate from your route. Your train originates in New Orleans. It uses Amfleet II coaches with seat pitch 50''-55''. It also uses Viewliner I Sleepers with bed length 72''-78''. Please use Amsnag to find cheaper fares. You should get a Sleeper if you can find a low bucket one.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be riding AmTrak from Atlanta to NYC. How is the service and comfort of this trip?
First, I would like to point out that the name of the train that you will be traveling on is the Crescent. No matter which accommodations you have (coach or sleeper), you should find the train to be very comfortable and relaxing. I suggest you bring some books though and maybe a movie player with headphones to keep you occupied. If you would like to eat dinner aboard the train when you get on in Atlanta, I think you will be able to eat in the diner for a price if you are in coach. if you are in a sleeper then all of your meals will be free. I will leave some of the other things to other members who actually know this route. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

First of all, YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE ZEPHYR! Your train is the Crescent, not the California Zephyr. The California Zephyr runs from Chicago to Emeryville which is totally separate from your route. Your train originates in New Orleans. It uses Amfleet II coaches with seat pitch 50''-55''. It also uses Viewliner I Sleepers with bed length 72''-78''. Please use Amsnag to find cheaper fares. You should get a Sleeper if you can find a low bucket one.
Swadian, please have more respect for first-time riders. She was simply asking for any advice on what to expect, and this is obviously her first train trip. No fist-timers are going to know the types of cars and pitch you are talking about, and your response was quite ridiculous. There is no reason to get mad at people because of a lack of knowledge. Not everybody knows everything about trains like you apparently do.

Have a great trip Carolyn. This is an awesome train with good service based on my experience.

First of all, YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE ZEPHYR! Your train is the Crescent, not the California Zephyr. The California Zephyr runs from Chicago to Emeryville which is totally separate from your route. Your train originates in New Orleans. It uses Amfleet II coaches with seat pitch 50''-55''. It also uses Viewliner I Sleepers with bed length 72''-78''. Please use Amsnag to find cheaper fares. You should get a Sleeper if you can find a low bucket one.
Swadian, please have more respect for first-time riders. She was simply asking for any advice on what to expect, and this is obviously her first train trip. No fist-timers are going to know the types of cars and pitch you are talking about, and your response was quite ridiculous. There is no reason to get mad at people because of a lack of knowledge. Not everybody knows everything about trains like you apparently do.
Pitch means nothing to me and I've been here for at least a year.

Swadian, when referring people to Amsnag (this is the second time today as I recall), provide them with a link: Amsnag

amtrakblue, pitch is the distance between the seats in coach. HTH! :)
Thanks...but I'd still need to get my measuring tape out to "see" what the pitch is. :giggle: I'm terrible at judging size, length, etc.

Hey, I'm not mad. I'm just trying to dirve home the point. Seriously, her mistake actually made me laugh. I'm not trying to boast either, even myself had to ask you guys about the pitch in a thread here.

Pitch means nothing to me and I've been here for at least a year.

Swadian, when referring people to Amsnag (this is the second time today as I recall), provide them with a link: Amsnag
I don't know the link because Amsnag has been messing up recently.

One of the highlights of riding the Crescent is eating in the hertiage diner. Some of the best grits you will ever eat.

Hey, I'm not mad. I'm just trying to dirve home the point. Seriously, her mistake actually made me laugh. I'm not trying to boast either, even myself had to ask you guys about the pitch in a thread here.
Okay, well mad or not, your response was rude.

Why did her mistake make you laugh? Most people in the country have no reason to know the difference between the Zephyr and the Crescent. (The difference might be worth pointing out, but certainly not in a way that will offend first-time users.)

—————

Carolyn: The coach seats are comfortable. Much larger than those typically found on airplanes. Most of the coaches have new air purifier-type units at the rear bulkhead, which is nice. The bathrooms are large. The sleeper rooms are nice and decently comfortable enough. The food in the diner is hit-or-miss, though if you're riding in coach (and, thus, meals are not included in your accommodation charge), the food may or may not be worth the price. It's worth eating in the diner, at least for the experience. (The meals can, in fact, be quite good.) The on-board staff can be hit-or-miss, but don't expect to encounter rude staff—they're typically very nice and helpful. The train is usually clean-ish; nothing gross, but don't expect anything impeccable.

Basically, if you don't go in with incredibly high expectations, you'll have a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did her mistake make you laugh?
Because I can't find any evidence suggesting that the Zephyr runs between ATL-NYP.
Really, Swadian, does it matter that much? She made an honest mistake, and while pointing it out is helpful, publicly shouting the error (because underlining something and putting it in all caps is the internet version of shouting) and laughing at her about it is not a proper course of action, in my view. Especially since she's new to the train world.

Why did her mistake make you laugh?
Because I can't find any evidence suggesting that the Zephyr runs between ATL-NYP.
Really, Swadian, does it matter that much? She made an honest mistake, and while pointing it out is helpful, publicly shouting the error (because underlining something and putting it in all caps is the internet version of shouting) and laughing at her about it is not a proper course of action, in my view. Especially since she's new to the train world.
It's not in all caps anymore.

As a long time member of Amtrak Unlimited, I do feel upset by some of the "advice" given by newer members. I honestly feel that some folk, (while they are enthusiastic and will answer every post even if they have nothing of value to add) are undermining the whole status of the setup... I realise that our train hobby attracts an odd bunch who probably should "get out more", myself included, but is it not past time to face up to the elephant in the room?

Ed :cool:

PS The elephant is not Jumbo, the largest elephant known, who was killed by a train... (good trivia info!)

As a long time member of Amtrak Unlimited, I do feel upset by some of the "advice" given by newer members. I honestly feel that some folk, (while they are enthusiastic and will answer every post even if they have nothing of value to add) are undermining the whole status of the setup... I realise that our train hobby attracts an odd bunch who probably should "get out more", myself included, but is it not past time to face up to the elephant in the room?

PS The elephant is not Jumbo, the largest elephant known, who was killed by a train... (good trivia info!)
*LIKE*

As what would probably be considered a "new member", call me out if I make a mistake. And if you see me as part of this group, let me know (preferably via PM). Sometimes (especially for me) it's social ineptness more than anything else. =]

Hi,

As a response to the above post by jebr, I did not have you in mind, and I am sorry if my post indicated a general "downer" on all newer members. As I see it, it is more that some folk post apparently "authorative, hard hitting, in your face" responses that seem to carry a weight of "considered experience", but are plain wrong, or misleading to the inexperienced or first time train rider.

We need new members, young blood, to keep the forum fresh, maybe I am just an old dinosaur who is worried about elephants taking over the world :)

In virtually every forum/group/blog on the web, there is a small minority of "subscribers" who like to point out, indirectly of course, (and sometimes not even known to them...) their "knowledge" of the topic at hand.

Call it enthusiasm, call it braggadocio, call it anal, I don't care, it's there. We see it daily on almost every topic, one could even include spelling and punctuation in with this.

IMHO, the the proper way to respond to someone who constantly uses ALL CAPS, or calls out a newbie or guest for their incorrect train name / route / equipment / pricing / you-fill-in-the-blank, is to send them a PM (Private Message). But that takes thought, and a few seconds more, AND, one cannot "show the world" how much SMARTER one is, if a PM is sent.

I'm guilty. I've been chastised. I have vented when I shouldn't have. But it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back