Zephyr (5&6) Schedule Changes Sept/Oct 2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, the work is being performed between Granby and Glenwood Springs.
So, westbound passengers for stations between Denver and Grand Junction will probably be bused from Denver. Provo passengers will be bused from SLC. Helper and Green River passengers may be bused or simply SOOL.

Apparently, the work is being performed between Granby and Glenwood Springs.
So, westbound passengers for stations between Denver and Grand Junction will probably be bused from Denver. Provo passengers will be bused from SLC. Helper and Green River passengers may be bused or simply SOOL.
The notice says that the stations will not be serviced and it is not possible to book travel to the affected stations on the reroute dates, so it is likely that no alternate service is being provided to any of the stations from Fraser to Provo.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the AMTK app, a test booking between GJT and EMY on the 19th of September shows "Sold Out", so apparently the dates are just being blocked out as fully booked in Arrow. No service whatsoever for those communities affected, yet discreetly noticed in the system so there's not a flood of calls inquiring about the service or lack thereof on those dates.

Also, for detour fans, the Borie site is the stop the Pioneer made when it technically served Cheyenne. It's in the middle of nowhere, so those hoping to see some of Wyoming's capital city will likely be massively disappointed.

Greyhound does run buses between Denver and Grand Junction, with a stop in west glenwood springs. And Bustang runs buses between Denver and Glenwood Springs. So there are some transit alternatives for a couple of the stations that CZ will miss during the WY reroute.

Also, for detour fans, the Borie site is the stop the Pioneer made when it technically served Cheyenne. It's in the middle of nowhere, so those hoping to see some of Wyoming's capital city will likely be massively disappointed.
I figure that those who did see Wyoming's capital city would feel just the same. ;)

I figure that those who did see Wyoming's capital city would feel just the same. ;)
All depends on where you see it from (as any visitor to Cheyenne Frontier Days will attest)... :giggle:

My father and I stopped for two nights at the Plains Hotel in downtown Cheyenne during our road trip in 2011. I toured the Union Pacific Depot Museum just across the street. While I wouldn't recommend it as a destination resort, it was a pleasant stay.

The map is glitching and not saving the data points from the detour, because Amtrak is apparently not updating the update_time field, so the system thinks the train hasn't moved.

Just got an email from amtrak that my 10/7 departure of 6 will run the next the overland route. Email had this text: We want to let you know that due to track work being performed by the Union Pacific Railroad, Train Number 6 will be rerouted between Denver and Salt Lake City on your date of travel.The train will travel over the historic Overland Route which runs through Wyoming. This route offers unique high prairie vistas. .

I'll enjoy the rare mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Indeed. The move out of Cheyenne to Amslab at Borie took place a long time back in the days of the San Francisco Zephyr, before it got rerouted through Colorado and rechristened the California Zephyr. You can still see the Amslab at Borie. It's still there.

OTOH, the Laramie station is pretty much in town, as a consolation prize I suppose. And you get to cross the legendary Sherman Summit.

I may end up taking the detour after the Gathering - found lower bucket sleepers on 6 than 8/28 (actually got a family room for less than a roomette on either), and it sounds like an interesting trip. Any pointers for what to look for along the route? I know it may not be as exciting as the regular route, though I've done the DEN-GSC segment of that before.

I was doing a little research on sherman hill. There are 3 tracks following somewhat different alignments. Track 3, if I understand correctly is the most recent, built in the 50s with a much lower grade. I was wondering which track 6 would most likely use.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I booked my trip specifically to take advantage of the reroute. Worked for me as I need to be in the Bay Area to visit a sick relative.

Tues 9/26-Thurs 9/28 #5 CZ CHI-EMY (delayed regular route)

Sat 9/30-Mon 10/02 #6 CZ EMY-CHI (reroute via WY)

Roomettes both ways. Car 40 (TransDorm) on #5, Car 31 on #6.

So sorry to miss the AU meeting!

I note that #5 of 10.02.17 appears to have missed out Rio Grande route between Denver & Salt Lake City, presumably running via Cheyenne & Green River.

Does anyone know why ?

Thanks

Stuarti

England

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was merged with the previous thread on the same topic.

Back