Zephyer run late?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mauh

We will be traveling from Denver to Chicago in October on the California Zephyer.

The train is supposed to arrive at 2:50. We were wondering if we should reserve our next

train, which leaves at 6pm, or should we plan on spending the night because we will miss

our connecting train?

Thank you.

Assuming I understand your question correctly, I would think you should reserve your next train for that same day. Your goal is to travel from Denver to someplace beyond Chicago, right? Unless you want to plan a night in Chicago for your own purposes, go ahead and book from Denver all the way to the end without an overnight stay in Chicago.

Of course, it is possible that the California Zephyr will be late and you will miss the connection. However, it sounds like it would be a guaranteed connection, meaning Amtrak will hold your connecting train, put you on some alternative transportation (bus, van), or put you in a hotel overnight and on the next train the next day. It probably makes sense to keep in mind that you MAY miss your connection (and therefore not arrive at your destination when you planned), but in this case I don't think you need to plan a night in Chicago (at your expense) just to avoid that possibility.

It's up to you. "Today's" train may be late but "tomorrow's" train may not be. Also, since it is a guaranteed connection, if the train is late and you miss the connection, Amtrak will make a hotel reservation for you AND PAY FOR THE HOTEL!

If you are traveling in sleepers, a same day connection could be risky. If the zephyr is late enough to cause you to miss the connection, then amtrak will likely put you in a hotel for the night And then on your connecting train the next day. If sleeper space is sold out, then you will be in coach. If coach is a problem fir you, you'll be unhappy.

If you tell us the connecting train and your final destination will be able to give you better advice.

The Zephyer gets into Chicago at 2:50 and we are continuing on to New Buffalo, MI. The Bluewater leaves at 4pm and the

Wolverine leaves at 6pm. Which train would you suggest?

Thanks.

The Wolverine, just to be safe.

If you're coming in early or on-time, you can always call from the train and switch to the Blue Water (it might cost more at that point, though).

You can also change your ticket at the ticket desk.

The Zephyer gets into Chicago at 2:50 and we are continuing on to New Buffalo, MI. The Bluewater leaves at 4pm and the

Wolverine leaves at 6pm. Which train would you suggest?

Thanks.
Which one does Amtrak suggest? By that I mean if you enter Denver and New Buffalo as your departing and arriving stations on Amtrak.com. That way it would be a guaranteed connection.

If you missed the connection, they would put you on the next train, or if you missed the last one, you would be treated to a van ride. Now if you were going a lot further east, a hotel room.

This thread's title has invented a new word--"Zephyer." I like it! It can be used as a comparative descriptor of the relative scenic-ness of train routes..."this train is zephy, that train is zephyer, the other train is zephyest!" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I plugged the trip into Amtrak.com.

The Blue Water is not an option as far as guaranteed connections are concerned. (I didn't think it would be, since it's such a tight connection.) This means that if you miss it, Amtrak will not transfer you to the Wolverine on their dime. This also means that if the Zephyr is really, really late and you miss the Wolverine, you're on your own for a hotel and food in Chicago.

I stick by my suggestion to book the Wolverine. The Wolverine is a guaranteed connection, which means if the Zephyr arrives after 6:00, Amtrak will put you up in a hotel and feed you. They will also rebook you for the next day's train at no charge.

October is pretty early for much snow in California or Colorado on the Zephyr's route, so the probability of a weather delay is quite low. No hurricanes on that route, either. You would probably be fine on the same-day connection. But, if you are so late that you miss the connection, then, as others have mentioned, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation that same day, or put you up in a hotel at their expense for onward train travel the next day.

Thanks so much for the information. We're getting excited about our trip. We did get a sleeper car, so any tips would

also be helpful. Are toiletries supplied? Is the observation car full all the time?

Thanks!

Toiletries, other than soap in the showers, are not supplied. The sightseer lounge, in my experience, is usually pretty full, though not so much from Denver eastward. But then my experience in the sightseer is fairly limited. Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back