Yellowstone NP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone NP & thinking of taking Amtrak to SLC. & flying into West Yellowstone. What are my best hotel options close to the station in SLC?

Thanx

RF

Well, there's nothing within safe (or reasonable) walking distance of the SLC Amtrak station ... especially at that hour of the night. But you're close enough to the city center that a taxi could get you to almost any downtown hotel in 5 or 10 minutes. There are a good number of downtown choices, and what to choose just depends on your price range.

Yep, there's a whole string of motels along North Temple, which is the city street heading out towards the airport. The area of North Temple that's just west of downtown is a little dodgy, though ... if you choose that option you'll want to be fairly far out towards the airport. Food choices without a car will be relatively limited out there, though.

One other thing I was going to mention: you should also consider the possibility of flying from Salt Lake to Bozeman, rather than West Yellowstone. You'll find a better choice of flights and probably better prices, and a greater choice of rental cars. We're a 90 minutes drive from the park here, and the drive between Bozeman and Yellowstone is gorgeous. :)

We stayed at the Peery Hotel in downtown Salt lake City early fall of '09. Very nice hotel and rates then were about $140.00 after they added taxes. The hotel called us a cab and with tip it was about $20.00. That said rates change according to seasons.

We stayed at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel right across the street from the square downtown. It is right on the trolley line which can give you a ride to and from the Amtrak station (although not at 1am in the morning). :rolleyes: The hotel had a shuttle to and from the Amtrak station for $5 a ride. Our group paid only $85/night and the rooms were nice and there is a nice breakfast/restaurant on site. :)

Back