Workable, or insaneness?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
Hi AU friends,

My CZ trip is on hold for now due to the possibility of adding a travel buddy, but I'm still working on plans. You may recall that we couldn't figure a way to take the wb CZ and connect with the sb CS as one AGR reward for a bedroom.

Today I was playing around on the Amtrak site, and decided to click on a "visit Yosemite" link. I tried a multi-city trip to go from Denver to Los Angeles, with a visit to Yosemite. At first no luck re the CS, but then I tried adding Sacramento as a segment after Yosemite, and, voila, the first option it offered included the CS!

I'm not sure the rather complicated itinerary will work or will be worth the expense of all the overnight hotel stays. Please tell me if you see problems of any nature, or if you have alternate suggestions. Problems might include difficult or iffy connections, unpleasant surroundings, or any others. Remember, I'm a female in my 60's possibly traveling solo (first time solo), and if I wind up with the travel buddy, she's a little older. We are both in good health but are safety-conscious.

My/our sole purpose for the trip is for the scenery (CZ mountains and CS coastline) and for the train rides. We don't need to get from/to any specific cities other than what is required for the trips on the CZ and CS. I didn't want complicated connections or bus segments, but this itinerary (on paper) seems to be tolerable. Just not sure it's practical in total or cost-effective. It is important that we not be rerouted to less scenic routes and that the CZ and CS not be substituted with buses or cancelled. (I've just been made aware of possible rerouting by another thread--thanks, AU!!) I'm sure each city has lots to see and do, but the scenery and trains are what are important to us. We don't want to rent a car or do much exploring in each place.

Not sure of my/our real dates, but I plugged in May 8 just to see what I'd get. Here's what amtrak.com finally came up with:

(May 7 would fly ATL-DEN, overnight in Denver.)

Segment 1:

May 8 depart DEN #5 CZ 8:05a, overnight on CZ

May 9 arrive DAV 2:44p

overnight in Davis

Segment 2:

May 10

depart DAV #520 Cap Corr 7:02a, arrive SAC 7:28a

depart Sacramento bus #3712 7:45a, arrive 8:40a SKN (could do DAV-SKN on just a bus, but we like trains)

depart Stockton #712 San Joaquin 9:17a, arrive 10:31a. MCD

depart Merced bus #8412 11:00a., arrive YOS 1:25p

overnight in Yosemite

Segment 3:

May 11

depart Yosemite bus #8413 10:00a, arrive MCD 12:17p

depart Merced #713 SJ 1:08p, arrive SKN 2:14p

depart Stockton bus #3760 2:25p, arrive SAC 3:15p

overnight in Sacramento

Segment 4:

May 12

depart Sacramento #11 CS 6:35a, arrive LAX 9:00p

overnight in Los Angeles

(fly home LAX-ATL next day)

The positives to this would be hopefully getting the whole trip as a single AGR reward and adding the short visit to Yosemite. The negatives include 5 (five!) nights in hotels and a lot of connections, some close. By my reasoning, it sort of boils down to (hopefully--find this hard to believe) getting the trip as one AGR and a Yosemite visit for the price and aggravation of adding two hotel nights and a lot of connections.

I'm assuming that since this is Amtrak's routing, the connections would be guaranteed, and that the CC, SJ, and buses aren't usually late, and that all the buses depart from the train stations. ?? What would happen if a connection was missed? Changing the remaining hotel reservations and airline ticket would be a pain that I want to avoid. I'm a ducks in a row type person and don't like sudden major changes of plan. I go with the flow on minor things.

Thoughts?

I apologize for the long post, but the itinerary is long! Thanks so much, all input is appreciated!

I used the multi-city option, and these were among the segment choices the website gave me. It did not give me the CS option until I added Sacramento as a segment.

Edit: On the AGR forum, traveler tells me that amtrak.com must give the itinerary using the point A to B screen, not the multi-city one. Drat!

Regardless, I'd still like thoughts on all aspects of the trip. I can use AGR for a bedroom from Denver to as far as AGR will let me, and probably just pay for the rest. I have finally accumulated 50,000+ AGR points so far, so I might be able to use a few more for some segments. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a trip to Fort Worth Texas? One zone trip for you.

Neat city, don't need a car, many hotels near the station, safe city to walk around. Take the bus out to the "Stock Yard" (not what you are thinking) http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/ . Allow three night stay min.

You can take the light rail to Dallas (I didn't see anything in Dallas that I cared for)

Side note: If you take this trip, Fort Worth is the next stop after Dallas. As the train leaves the Dallas station the first bridge (look out the right side of the train) that it passes over is one that you saw many times on TV when you were a kid almost 50 years ago.

Purposed trip:

6 California Zephyr

Departs: 7:10 PM

Wed May 08 2013

Denver, CO (DEN)

Station News

Arrives: 11:31 AM

Thu May 09 2013

Galesburg, IL (GBB)

5521 Bus

Departs: 2:45 PM

Thu May 09 2013

Galesburg, IL (GBB)

Arrives: 5:00 PM

Thu May 09 2013

Springfield, IL (SPI)

21 Texas Eagle

Departs: 5:14 PM

Thu May 09 2013

Springfield, IL (SPI)

Arrives: 1:25 PM

Fri May 10 2013

Fort Worth, TX (FTW)

Duration: 20 hr, 11 min

Thanks, C&ORR, but I especially want to see the Rockies and Sierras. I will be traveling westbound from Denver on the CZ. I also hope to take the southbound CS for the coastal views.

Actually, I visited Dallas and Denison briefly years ago but didn't go to Ft. Worth. :( Enjoyed my visit!

In terms of the redemption, it would be more than one. However, since your original CZ to CS was more than one, if you were still opting to pay for the CS with cash (credit, voucher, etc... trying to remember your original thread) you could do your side trip to Yosemite using a Corridor Redemption which is only 1,500 points per trip assuming there were not too many conflicting bus and rail segments.

The trip itself would be nice. Just be mindful that with the new layout at Sacramento it will be a bit of a walk from the train platform to the bus. There are carts available to transport you but sometimes it can be a little bit of a wait. If you let the conductor know ahead of time they can call ahead to the station to have one waiting.

I'm now leaning toward the insaneness opinion! Not sure my prospective traveling buddy would go for all the bus connections and hotel stays anyway. Thanks to those who waded through the post and responded!

Even though it has an Amtrak bus #, the bus from Merced is a YARTS bus that you can pay cash for.

If you can't get a reservation at Yosemite, you can get off the bus at the shelter of the "BUG" Hostel near Midpines. The hostel is a lot cheaper than anything in Yosemite.

You could go south on the SJ to Bakersfield and then by bus to LAX. Spend a night in LA and then take a Pacific Surfliner to Santa Barbara. You can have an early lunch and then get on the CS an hour later. Take the CS to Davis and spend the night before taking the CZ eastbound to Denver for your flight home.

So have you been to Yosemite before? I can't see much point in going there just for a few hours, but if you have seen it before, maybe an overnight stay would do it. I found the drive in quite scary, but I think there are other roads not quite so "exciting". We were right at the back of a bus, and I'm sure we swung out into space as we swung around the corners. It is a truly magnificent place and deserves several days. You can get around the basic valley floor area in the free electric buses and there are tours to other areas. Plus it is mainly flat walking and there is a large bistro/diner place with reasonable food and a variety of accommodation. Check the Yosemite website to see when it opens up, I have a vague idea it is not open all year. Good luck with your trip.

Jean

Thanks, all! I have not seen Yosemite before, but thought an overnight would be better than nothing at all. I'm not one who feels cheated if I don't get to see and do the whole thing. A sample is better than none, if it's reasonable to do.

I would LOVE to make the return to Denver on the CZ, but I don't have enough points for that, and it's expensive without using AGR. I've had to scrounge every way possible to get 50,000+, so that's why I was planning to fly back to ATL from LAX. I'd first thought to fly back from San Francisco after the CZ, but then decided it would be a shame to be so close and not take the southbound CS for the coastline views. That's how I wind up in Los Angeles--I've really no desire to go there for the city itself. (Nothing against LA; I'm just not much of a city person, and I won't have my hubby, which makes things less fun.)

As OBS said, though, I'm beginning to think it's a bit much! I don't really want to do five separate hotel overnights on this trip. Many thanks--

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back