Wolverine, Interrupted 8/27-8/28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite the cliche, and I've always laughed at it - and then, in the closing days of August after a 2 day power outage, I decided to take a "Mental Health Day."
I was lying in bed, night of the 26th, having recently gotten power restored. The place was finally cooling but I couldn't sleep after the past couple of days, filled with various stressors that were both related, and unrelated, to the power being out. I was contemplating just waking up early and driving somewhere - anywhere, but lo and behold there were low bucket seats in BC on the Wolverine going to and from Chicago. Easy decision to make and in the wee hours, after still not getting any sleep due to a helicopter that kept circling the area, I was throwing my bag in the car and driving to an apartment complex in Ann Arbor that was within walking distance of the Amtrak station. (yes, it was legit for me to park there, and it's not that close but I was fine with the long walk). It was dark and a bit eerie with all the traffic lights out, although the hospital systems in the area had power and lit up the night sky - well, now early morning sky. I set out for the station at 6 am, and the sky gradually lightened, with the occasional jogger on the sidewalk and the normal shift traffic to the medical centers. The sun was up when I arrived at 7 for the 7:14 departure. It was very pleasant outside so I didn't go into the station, just waited by the track. It was a respectable, but not overly large crowd (probably why low bucket was still available in both coach and BC). An announcement was made by the station staff to the effect that this train was going to board solo travelers to one direction, and groups of 2 or more in the other. BC was in the rear of the train. 351 was right on time, and I was able to get the last solo seat. Settled in and went to get coffee after watching the very familiar Michigan scenery for a while. One interesting change is they no longer offer unlimited coffee and tea to the BC car, in addition to the complimentary nonalcoholic beverage. I've always gotten a coffee and a bottled water. The attendant gave that to me, and explained it was difficult to offer coffee refills because they wouldn't have enough for the train. So I should expect this change in the future, apparently. And further, that you get one beverage - so coffee or water, not both. Well, no matter, the coffee is strong and I dilute it with the water anyway, but people might like to know.
It was an uneventful ride to Chicago and I dozed off and on. We arrived on time, and I was planning to go straight to the hotel as my room was ready early. However, there was an elderly gentleman who I suspected might be having some difficulty. He had left his carryon in the overhead and I waited to see if someone was coming to help, sure enough the conductor came back and retrieved it for him. I was among the last to leave the car which was at the rear of the train, and wasn't in any particular hurry, so I just enjoyed the familiar walk along the platform in the morning light, pausing to admire a parked Superliner. When I reached the station entrance, I saw the same gentleman, standing the busy corridor by the tracks, amidst the travelers rushing by, looking sad and confused. I don't have much of a heart but it broke right there. I knew he was connecting to a LD train in a sleeper from his cell phone conversation on the train, so I went up to him and asked him if he knew where to go. "No" he said. I replied, "Follow me!" and off we went. He was fine to walk, not quickly but not in any distress. I explained there would be a lounge where he could wait, with beverages and snacks, and that he didn't need to walk back to his train when boarding that afternoon, pointing out a redcap driving by. He told me he was going to San Diego to a convention. We got to the entrance of the lounge and he shook my hand before checking in with the attendant. Before leaving, I mentioned to her that he might need help getting to the track, she was well aware from the conversation with him. I saw him looking at me from the door of the baggage room, he seemed content so I didn't stay, just checked in to use the facilities and grab a bottled water before setting out into the sunshine once again.

And oh it was a beautiful day in Chicago. Two beautiful days, actually. The weather was perfect for my goal which was to log in at least 5 miles a day walking the lakefront parks, and I did 7 miles the first day and 6 miles the next, along the lake, and meandering through Millennium and Grant parks. I didn't bring a swimsuit as the water was probably on the chilly side, being in the 70s during the day. So it was a total walking trip. No CTA, no Uber, just the thrill of exploring on foot. It didn't take long to feel far away from the stresses of home.
Fast forward to the afternoon of the second day, I had checked into the lounge late in the morning to leave my bag, and upon returning, at about 4:30 for a 5:50 departure, I started to get inklings something wasn't right. 352 was showing red on the status maps (this was the earlier Wolverine that was supposed to depart at 2:15) and apparently had returned to the station. Maintenance issue? Ominously, the Blue Water train wasn't leaving at 4, either. It had been a nice 2 days and I tried to keep an optimistic outlook. No announcements were being made, however there was a group of 4 people -2 older couples - seated nearby who appeared to be on hold with Amtrak, and who had been on hold for some time. They had either come in on a LD train and were connecting, or were going out on one later. They didn't appear unduly bothered by anything, and neither did most other people there. I will say, they, like most other people in the station looked to be at that stage in life where they don't have bosses, which can affect how you experience certain things. Of course the majority of customers were on LD trains instead of BC on the corridor trains. Well, the normal boarding time for 354 was here, and no announcements, so I headed downstairs. Next inkling there was a major problem. The lounge was quite crowded and there was a loooong time in front of the attendant, extending out the door into the station. A redcap was in the foyer helping people move bags about and directed traffic somewhat, so I asked him if 354 would be boarding soon. He replied, "Oh, no, that's going to be cancelled." Okay - for anyone reading who defends Amtrak no matter what they do, you should probably stop reading and should also probably put me on ignore. This was a major communications fail and there really isn't any need to make excuses for it. They knew hours before the train canceled that it was going to cancel - along with many other trains - and it's wrong to string people along, especially late in the day when options start to expire. The frazzled attendant wouldn't speak with me, but did get on the PA to announce that her manager was on the way and that everyone should go into the lounge and sit down. She said they would "take care of" everyone. I waited to ask her what that meant. Bus? Hotel? She would only say that the manager had to handle that and she didn't have any authority. Fair enough. I went back in and found a place to sit and wait further developments.

It will get too wordy if I explain what happened with exact chronological detail, so I'll focus on just the main points. Announcements were finally being made advising that every train going eastbound was being cancelled. This included the LSL, the Capitol, and all Michigan trains. Some other services too, not sure. My first thought was that maybe the hurricane was having some type of impact, I hadn't really followed its progress but this seemed odd. I didn't think it was supposed to really get any farther than Charlotte NC, although I had read here somewhere that the Silvers were cancelled. They certainly were not giving any reasons initially, so I checked in here to try and find out some information, eventually reading the post about PTC failure on the freight side. They did make some reference to "signal" issues, but mostly just told everyone that everything was cancelled, to stay seated and they would call us up train by train. When I asked if this meant we would be put in hotels, or if there would be a bus to Michigan cities as was mentioned in an earlier announcement, the manager wouldn't answer. She was working really hard and took care of a sizeable group, so I give her kudos for that - but maybe, just maybe, give people a little more information than just telling them to "be patient" for 4 hours while you sort through things. When 352 returned to the station they probably knew then, if not sooner. If Amtrak had sent the cancellation email promptly instead of hours later, I could have been on the Blue line to O'Hare as I have flight benefits and there was an 8:30 flight to Detroit with seats on it. Instead, I was wondering if I should find a hotel, and fly or drive out in the morning, or just wait for the bus. Which by the way there were interesting announcements about that, too. At one point they said there would be a bus going to Flint only. "Only if you're going to Flint." Not sure what if anything happened with that. Mostly though, there were just periodic announcements telling us to be patient and wait. Many misleading announcements were made, including one telling people they would not help anyone "originating" in Chicago who did not "get off a train today." I don't think you can tell people that who are on the second half of a round trip ticket! There were plenty of snacks available, and beverages, so that was handled well. I had a granola bar and potato chips which was filling. After a couple of hours, an announcement was made that 354 passengers should leave immediately to a waiting bus. So - just be patient and wait...wait....wait... and then, hurry the bus is leaving, get out there! Accordingly a handful of galloped out to the bus stop only to find out the bus was for 352 passengers, which did make sense as it was the earlier departure. Well, the bus was full, so they told us to go back to the lounge. The attendant was somewhat apologetic for the error but they also still would not say what was being done for 354. Passengers from the LD trains were being shuttled to the Swisshotel, and the lounge was gradually emptying out. as the evening wore on. I was almost ready to book my own hotel but saw no reason to spend $150 when it's their responsibility and policy to provide hotels for people stranded away from home? At that point, just resigned to the wait. No mention was made about any Michigan trains until the announcement that "everyone had been taken care of" and that no one should be left waiting in the lounge. Well, the handful of us that were left had other ideas, and we approached the manager who took our names for the last waiting hotel shuttle. Amtrak does appear to have a good system for communicating the names directly to the hotel - I called to verify just before boarding the bus. The hotel had keys ready when we got there, close to 10 I think it was. It's a high end hotel on the Chicago river, normally out of my price range but there was no time to do anything other than wash and dry my clothes in the sink and get to bed. The shuttle was set up to return everyone to Union Station in the morning, at about 11 am, who wanted to go, but I was up at 6, showered and on the Blue Line at 7, to get a flight home. The cancellation email had provided a refund/rebooking link which had no availability except for the last trip. So no one at Amtrak would have been able to do anything. I will say, in case anyone was wondering, that they apparently were giving out food vouchers but I just wanted to get back home and try and salvage some of the work day. Which I did!
And I was trying to be concise here, haha. Bottom line there was just so much chaos and confusion, the agents need to pause and think before they pick up that PA. Maybe some training issue. I get they were tired too, and only working with the tools they had. What I did wrong was to assume the risk of taking the last train home, it's not something you can count on if you have obligations the next day, so that's a mistake not to be repeated.
Thus ended that Wolverine adventure.

Oh my, what an adventure!

I’m glad you had such a nice time in Chicago—the walks along the lake sound lovely!

And you said you don’t have much of a heart, but of course you do! it was very kind of you to help that lost gentleman find the lounge — you may have even saved him from missing his train if he didn’t know where to go.

It’s a shame your impulse trip coincided with the freight PTC mess. Hope the next trip is smoother—I think it’s time for you to start planning another impulse getaway as a reward for dealing with the end of this one!

Hope the next trip is smoother—I think it’s time for you to start planning another impulse getaway as a reward for dealing with the end of this one!
It's fortunate that the author is an experienced Amtrak traveller and will consider a next trip after this ordeal. How many fellow passengers will write off Amtrak with "never again"? Most would also struggle with no backup plan either, which MM had covered.

It's fortunate that the author is an experienced Amtrak traveller and will consider a next trip after this ordeal. How many fellow passengers will write off Amtrak with "never again"? Most would also struggle with no backup plan either, which MM had covered.
Although one can visualize something similar happening at an airport, with a major weather problem or ATC failure, it could get equally chaotic. Main difference is more people are used to flying and dealing with such situations.

Thanks so much for these comments, very much appreciated.
As Jimi said, of course I will be taking the train again, although I'm not keen on another rail adventure in the near future. With such limited options in Michigan you really need a buffer built into your travel schedule on both arrival and departure, and this trip didn't have that and you can see the result. Mystic, I am also not anxious to do anything this impulsive any time soon! And thank you for the nice sentiment, also very appreciated.
Maine, good point. The airport can be both better and worse - it all depends on the facts and circumstances.

We arrived on time, and I was planning to go straight to the hotel as my room was ready early. However, there was an elderly gentleman who I suspected might be having some difficulty. He had left his carryon in the overhead and I waited to see if someone was coming to help, sure enough the conductor came back and retrieved it for him. I was among the last to leave the car which was at the rear of the train, and wasn't in any particular hurry, so I just enjoyed the familiar walk along the platform in the morning light, pausing to admire a parked Superliner. When I reached the station entrance, I saw the same gentleman, standing the busy corridor by the tracks, amidst the travelers rushing by, looking sad and confused. I don't have much of a heart but it broke right there. I knew he was connecting to a LD train in a sleeper from his cell phone conversation on the train, so I went up to him and asked him if he knew where to go. "No" he said. I replied, "Follow me!" and off we went. He was fine to walk, not quickly but not in any distress. I explained there would be a lounge where he could wait, with beverages and snacks, and that he didn't need to walk back to his train when boarding that afternoon, pointing out a redcap driving by. He told me he was going to San Diego to a convention. We got to the entrance of the lounge and he shook my hand before checking in with the attendant. Before leaving, I mentioned to her that he might need help getting to the track, she was well aware from the conversation with him. I saw him looking at me from the door of the baggage room, he seemed content so I didn't stay, just checked in to use the facilities and grab a bottled water before setting out into the sunshine once again.

Perhaps your "impulse" trip was meant to happen so that you would be there to help out the elderly gentleman. (We'd like to think so.)

Eric & Pat

Last edited:
Would you say this is a common occurrence with the Michigan lines or was this a one-off?

We're moving TX to MI this fall, and my tentative plan was to take the Texas Eagle to Chicago, then transfer to the Blue Water with a destination of Lansing. Now I'm wondering if it might be better to just bus from Chicago to Lansing if there are likely delays. Plus bussing would allow for more luggage which is a concern as Blue Water has no checked luggage. Renting a car / flying aren't options for me {cannot do either due to disability}

You know, I have an Amtrak trip planned in two weeks. I can't even get excited about it because it seems the chances of havoc breaking loose has increased exponentially in the last couple of years.
This type of havoc has occurred three times in the last 12 months. The question you must ask yourself is “How lucky are you?”

My sister was flying back from her vacation, around lunch time she was getting messages about delays to her 9pm flight. She end up getting home three hours later than planned.

Stuff happens. You might be so luck that it will happen to you. Or you will be close to on-time, like most trains are. Roll of the galactic dice.

This type of havoc has occurred three times in the last 12 months. The question you must ask yourself is “How lucky are you?”

My sister was flying back from her vacation, around lunch time she was getting messages about delays to her 9pm flight. She end up getting home three hours later than planned.

Stuff happens. You might be so luck that it will happen to you. Or you will be close to on-time, like most trains are. Roll of the galactic dice.
I widely define havoc to include lengthy delays, accommodation downgrades, equipment failures, cancellations, etc. One or more of these are almost routine these days. I will soldier on!

Would you say this is a common occurrence with the Michigan lines or was this a one-off?

We're moving TX to MI this fall, and my tentative plan was to take the Texas Eagle to Chicago, then transfer to the Blue Water with a destination of Lansing. Now I'm wondering if it might be better to just bus from Chicago to Lansing if there are likely delays. Plus bussing would allow for more luggage which is a concern as Blue Water has no checked luggage. Renting a car / flying aren't options for me {cannot do either due to disability}
Thing about the Blue Water is there’s just one departure. If you had to spend another night in Chicago would that be ok with you, is one question.

Thing about the Blue Water is there’s just one departure. If you had to spend another night in Chicago would that be ok with you, is one question.

We could make it work {assuming Amtrak puts us up at their expense as it'd be booked as one trip}, but I wouldn't be thrilled about the delay of an entire day. I'd rather they bussed us if there is a missed connection, or rerouted. The game plan is to directly transfer from the Texas Eagle to the Blue Water without ever leaving Union Station, so we have no plans in Chicago or anything. I was saving Chicago for a day trip after we got settled & moved in.

Absolute worst case scenario we possibly could get our friends to make the drive to Chicago or the closest we could get to Lansing - they're driving our pets up while we take the train as otherwise it's more people than seats in the moving van.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Blue Water to go to twice a day soon. I've heard rumors and it would work so well for us then.

Back