WIFI Onboard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the cost for the Wi-Fi infrastructure was paid for by CalDOT or private investors, definitely not by Amtrak. With the infrastructure on the NEC as it is right now, it's probably not too high on their list of things to do.

There is very limited Wifi on the NEC. It is available in the stations (Club Lounges) but you will be asked to pay for it. Amtrak doesn't pay for or sponsor any wireless. I advise passengers to use wireless internet services like Verizon, which seems to work best between NYP and WAS

Actually one of the items in Amtrak's new grand plan release last month, along with the budget request for '06, is to equip Acela Express with Wi-Fi.

That of course first assumes that they get the trains back on the road and then that Congress actually funds the plan fully.

Aloha

Nice to hear train WiFi is in the realm of possibility, Hope it spreads to the Long Distance Trains also.

Actually the wi-fi is part of a California DOT pilot program. I believe they partnered with yahoo. For more information about it check out http://www.amtrakcapitols.com/aboard_the_t...train/wi_fi.php . Most of the time I think those cars are on the capitols, but they can make there way onto the san Joqian route. IIRC ACE(Altamont Commuter Express) has a wifi service for free in one car on their trains.

I know. Still trying to get confirmation on QAlan B's quote about Acela wifi, though.

Interesting, especially since it sounds like its already in progress, or at least the analysis of that program in general. One thing I found even more interesting was the mention of the "relaunched" Empire Builder. I mean I had heard about it but with few details, it'll be interesting to see what the extent will be especially in terms of the service retraining and food service. The refurbished equipment will be going to it as it mentions, which if I had to guess would include those refurbished Superliner I Sleepers with wooden panneling. Certainly a good sign, along with the fact that route guides have made a return...except that for some reason there still isn't one for Silver Service, what's the deal with that?

These kinds of competitve advantages MUST be implemented if Amtrak is to one day be on an even keel. The Northeast Corridor should have wifi onboard the trains. it would mean 50-100MM per year in groass revenue to the ISP/Amtrak, not to mention 25% percent more business travel. It will take awile, as it does for Amtrak to do anything, but company's like Pointshot Wireless need to fight to get there own funding and get Amtrak the amenity without Amtrak paying for it. that's the secret. Someone else's money!

:D

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
except that for some reason there still isn't one for Silver Service, what's the deal with that?
Silver is too expensive. :lol: :D
Well, they spent a whole lotta money on these route guides then! We have had them over here on the "Silver Service" trains for over two months now. OBS... :lol:

Back