Why we blow whistles engineers story

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was blowing the whistle almost constantly due to the close proximity of the crossings. As we started up the grade towards Route 173, we could see the "snitch lights" illuminating on the sides of the roundels, indicating the signals there were activated and working properly. I had just come over Ida Avenue and no sooner finished whistling it when I began my sequence of two longs, a short and a long for Route 173. By this point my speed was starting to increase and I hit 42 mph.

As we closed in on Route 173, an auto rapidly approached and Brian, my conductor, yelled "that son of a b---- is going!" He was across and gone in an instant.

Story

it scares the hell out of me when we get close calls.I had 1 about 2 weeks ago i was voiding a form A restricion and repeting it back to the dispatcher when i looked up i saw a semi truck trailer on the tracks about 200 ft from us we were doing 60mph and my engineer put it into emergency and i said oh sh&% on the radio we missed him by less then a foot. :angry:

I am still on edge from my tresspaser accident back in Oct 2004

Back