Which train would you prefer to see return

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which train would you prefer to see return

• Broadway Limited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Northstar

• Floridian

• Desert Wind

• Pioneer

• North Coast Limited

• River Cities

• Total voters
I voted for the Floridian, because its demise left sort of a bigger gap in the country than some of the others.No link from the southeast(unless you count Memphis and New Orleans) to Chicago is a serious gap.

Would love to have the Broadway back, too,----would love to have all of them back. Would love to have all Desert wind and Pioneer back, too.

Personally, I'd love to see all those trains brought back. I had to vote for the North Coast Limited, as my parents recently moved to a town in ND that used to be a stop on this train. I'd really like to be able to hop on the train and get off a few blocks from their house like I used to on the Builder before they moved.

.....umm, I am trying to remember something......about that name "North Coast Limited"......Now I fully realize there was a train called North Coast Limited pre-Amtrak. But didn't Amtrak call it "North Coast Hiawatha?"

Or maybe it was NCLtd under Amtrak for a while but I am sure it eventually began being called North Coast Hiawatha. The name was meant to be sort of a reminder of both the previous NCLimited and the Olympian Hiawatha.

battalion51 said:
My two cents, can we limit it to one poll at a time?
Well actually the limit is 5 polls running at one time, according to the rules.

On the other hand, each member is only allowed to have 1 running poll per forum at one time. Since Amtk1007 joined after those rules got posted, coupled with the fact that there are only 2 polls running and that many people have already responded to both polls, I'm going to make an exception this time and let both polls run.

However, Amtk1007 and other new members, please take note of the rules that I linked to above, before starting future polls. Thanks. :)

Man!!!!

That is a tough choice. I would like to have 2 votes so I could vote for the North Cost Limited (Hiawatha) too. I chose these because I have never ridden those routes. The other trains have merit too.

Steve4031 said:
I would like to have 2 votes so I could vote for the North Cost Limited (Hiawatha) too. I chose these because I have never ridden those routes. The other trains have merit too.
What was your first choice Steve?

The Pioneer would make it easier for me to go to the great Northwest. I cuts alot of time off not having to connect between the Starlight and the CZ. And while we're at it, run it further south through Amarillo, FTW, and to Houston and connect to the SL.

Bill Haithcoat said:
.....umm, I am trying to remember something......about that name "North Coast Limited"......Now I fully realize there was a train called North Coast Limited pre-Amtrak. But didn't Amtrak call it  "North Coast Hiawatha?"  
Or maybe it was NCLtd under Amtrak for a while but I am sure it eventually began being called North Coast Hiawatha.  The name was meant to be sort of a  reminder of both the previous NCLimited and the Olympian Hiawatha.
When Amtrak started on May 1, 1971, they discontinued the NC Ltd. Later that year, they brought it back as the NC Ltd. From what I've been able to find online, they started calling it the NC Hiawatha in short order. I agree that it was apparently to tie into the titles of the former Northern Pacific and Milwaukee LD trains that ran between Chicago and Seattle.

IMHO, if Amtrak was able to resurrect this line, I think the NC Hiawatha title would cause some confusion with the Hiawatha service between Chicago and Milwaukee. Assuming that they would use a former title, the NC Ltd title would probably be better, especially since it would follow most of the original NC Ltd track, and little of the original Olympian Hiawatha track (CHI-MSP).

Aloha

Slightly favored the Broadway Limited, but voted for the Desert Wind because I expect to retire to LV and this would be a nice way to visit with the Kids in LA.

How about the gulf breeze running between new york and mobile.It operated with the crescent between newyork and birmingham then split off using 1 engine 1 sleeper 1 lounge and 2 coaches to mobile.Now if i want to go to mobile i have to ride the crescent to new orleans then wait on the always tardy sunset limited and get into mobile in the wee hours if im lucky.The gulf breeze got into mobile at 600pm if it was on time.I watched the yard crew split the crescent - gulf breeze at birmingham it wasnt hard to do.They took 1 f40ph off the crescent and cut the last 4 cars out for mobile.When the crescent departed birmingham with its 2 engines and around 8-10 cars the yard crew backed up the engine to the 4 cars and as soon as everything was ready the breeze left.On train 20 the crescent backed up and coupled to the 4 mobile cars at birmingham it didnt take long for 2 trains to become 1.The breeze was a nice little train serving the south and the northeast.

lepearso said:
The Floridian - it has to be!

Interesting your Chattanogoa reference, lepearse. I was born in CHA and spent the first 33 years of my life there. Many of the regulars on this forum know that, you may not yet. Are you from there also?

I live in Atlanta now (last 27 years) . And although the Floridian did not go through Chatta or ATl a either one, it really is a missing link not to have a Florida to Chicago train.

railfangns said:
How about the gulf breeze running between new york and mobile.It operated with the crescent between newyork and birmingham then split off using 1 engine 1 sleeper 1 lounge and 2 coaches to mobile.Now if i want to go to mobile i have to ride the crescent to new orleans then wait on the always tardy sunset limited and get into mobile in the wee hours if im lucky.The gulf breeze got into mobile at 600pm if it was on time.I watched the yard crew split the crescent - gulf breeze at birmingham it wasnt hard to do.They took 1 f40ph off the crescent and cut the last 4 cars out for mobile.When the crescent departed birmingham with its 2 engines and around 8-10 cars the yard crew backed up the engine to the 4 cars and as soon as everything was ready the breeze left.On train 20 the crescent backed up and coupled to the 4 mobile cars at birmingham it didnt take long for 2 trains to become 1.The breeze was a nice little train serving the south and the northeast.

I, too, have pleasant memories of the Gulf Breeze. I rode it at least twice from ATL to Mobile. At least some of those trips, though daytime, I rode in a sleeping car room.

And I remember one trip on the Sunset from JAX to Mobile, stayed overnight and connrected with the Gulf Breeze to Atl the next day.

I voted for the Broadway Limited. For selfish reasons, living in Ohio I would love to once again enjoy riding that train. Plus, my family all worked for the PRR... so it gets my vote on that basis too.

The Floridian though is a much needed part of the Amtrak system, and should be operating also.

Aloha

This is very interesting. Could there be meaning to our madness? Does first contact rule?

I don't know but "VERY INTERESTING", Shades of "laugh-in"

Mahalo

Back