what routes would remain??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sutton

I read the posts about the House committee wanting LD routes cut, though exempted were California and something along the east coast. Presumably, the Coast Starlight would remain intact, but what about the Crescent?

And one thing perhaps you can help me understand: If Congress will not be demanding a shutdown of Amtrak--and they are just cutting cross country routes-why not leave ONE cross country train? I mean, why cut them ALL? It doesn't make sense from any point of view, even those who want to kill Amtrak.

Ideas?

see if they cut even one long haul .......it could be affect as many 2,000 jobs (especially onboard cause they force to cut more jobs). I funny how they want to cut the Auto Train (it only long haul that actually makes money).

Ok so, lets say they do .......they will keep the Cardinal,Coast Starlight,Cresent (it the only train from New York to New Orleans) and keep the Sunset Limited .

that is just my 2 cents .

Guest said:
see if they cut even one long haul .......it could be affect as many 2,000 jobs (especially onboard cause they force to cut more jobs). I funny how they want to cut the Auto Train (it only long haul that actually makes money).
Ok so, lets say they do .......they will keep the Cardinal,Coast Starlight,Cresent (it the only train from New York to New Orleans) and keep the Sunset Limited .

that is just my 2 cents .
Actually the auto train still dose not make money. It just looses less then the other amtrak trains. They may also consider keeping one train from ny to orlando.

The way it reads, it's all long distance period. Only the Northeast corridor, west coast corridor and perhaps the St. Louis-Chicago maybe KC, and Chicago-Detroit, and Chicago-MIL. Then they have what they want. A few regional, unconnected commuter lines to feed people into airports.

Amtrak's epitaph shouldn't be written yet, this horrible bill has a long way to go before affecting amtrak's bank account. Remember, the senate has yet to have their say and also, there still is that bill for $2 billion per year.

Dont lose hope, JUst write your Congressman, especially the non- rural reps, who wouldn't be affected as much by any such cuts.

Jon Parker

I have! Both senators, my congressman, and Mr. Mineta, I urged him to resign as Secretary of Transportation. I tried to E-mail Rep Knollenberg of MI, but he doesn't accept any communications outside of his state.

Write or call your representatives. Just say your outraged at the lack of funding for nationwide Amtrak service. Its only a 30 second phone call.

Midland Valley said:
The way it reads, it's all long distance period. Only the Northeast corridor, west coast corridor and perhaps the St. Louis-Chicago maybe KC, and Chicago-Detroit, and Chicago-MIL. Then they have what they want. A few regional, unconnected commuter lines to feed people into airports.
I agree with Capltd29, that Amtrak isn't dead yet. This bill is a long way from becoming law.

However, that said, were this bill to be passed, all of Amtrak would cease to function. To my knowledge, the level of money being proposed is not enough to service the debt that Amtrak owes, along with maintaining corridor services. So the bankruptcy court will step in and liquidate all of Amtrak.

Even if I'm wrong, and there is enough money to service the debt payments, there is one other thing that Congress has forgotten. The elimination of the LD routes, will not eliminate the expenses of the LD routes. Amtrak will still have to pay all the workers who will be laid off for several years, even though they are no longer working for Amtrak. Additionally there are a lot of other expenses that won't just go away, if the trains are killed.

So again Amtrak will go bankrupt trying to deal with the above expenses and that will kill all corridor services, unless Congress suddenly steps in to fix their mistake.

AlanB said:
Midland Valley said:
The way it reads, it's all long distance period.  Only the Northeast corridor, west coast corridor and perhaps the St. Louis-Chicago maybe KC, and Chicago-Detroit, and Chicago-MIL. Then they have what they want.  A few regional, unconnected commuter lines to feed people into airports.
I agree with Capltd29, that Amtrak isn't dead yet. This bill is a long way from becoming law.

However, that said, were this bill to be passed, all of Amtrak would cease to function. To my knowledge, the level of money being proposed is not enough to service the debt that Amtrak owes, along with maintaining corridor services. So the bankruptcy court will step in and liquidate all of Amtrak.

Even if I'm wrong, and there is enough money to service the debt payments, there is one other thing that Congress has forgotten. The elimination of the LD routes, will not eliminate the expenses of the LD routes. Amtrak will still have to pay all the workers who will be laid off for several years, even though they are no longer working for Amtrak. Additionally there are a lot of other expenses that won't just go away, if the trains are killed.

So again Amtrak will go bankrupt trying to deal with the above expenses and that will kill all corridor services, unless Congress suddenly steps in to fix their mistake.
If my memory serves me right, didn't Amtrak used to be able to get by on an amount like this, before the Gunn era?

Maybe inflation took it's effect?

Jon

capltd29 said:
If my memory serves me right, didn't Amtrak used to be able to get by on an amount like this, before the Gunn era?
Maybe inflation took it's effect?

Jon
Your memory is quite correct. Inflation does have a small part in Amtrak no longer being able to get by with this amount.

However Amtrak got by on this amount in the past by cutting maintenance and repairs to the bone, which brought us to the point of having so many wrecked cars that they could no longer meet the daily requirements for all trains.

They also got by on that amount, by mortgaging everything they owned including NY's Penn Station. The payments on all of that debt is one of the reasons that $500 or $600 Million is no longer enought money.

And of course they must continue repairing equipment and fixing the infrastructure that they own. Things like bridges and tunnels, plus general wear and tear on the tracks and the equipment.

Finally, something needs to be done about starting to replace some of the oldest equipment, before it fails totally.

AlanB said:
Finally, something needs to be done about starting to replace some of the oldest equipment, before it fails totally.
Well said, Alan. I just have a feeling the latter will be the case. It is getting too close to that time this year around. A lot of the equipment and some of the infrastructure can't hold out much longer. I hope I am wrong, however. OBS...

Hell, at least they finally got the new auto racks at Auto Train!

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Hell, at least they finally got the new auto racks at Auto Train!
They weren't in service on 53 as of yesterday (6/15).

HURRY UP, before the floors fall out!!! :lol:

Leaving one LD train won't do any good. They all help each other as a network. At the current route structure you can run all the combined long distance routes for less than a 3rd of what it takes to run the Northeast Corridor. The LD's also take 70% of the passenger miles. As NARP President, Chilson put it, "Gaining 3 times more passenger miles for a 3rd of the cost sure sounds like a deal to me."

Well this House funding is the start of the process over the next couple months. We'll have our ups and downs, but I am very confident.

Every single member of this forum needs to CALL their representative this week!! Time to bombard Congress!

I sent a fax my senator today ( Warner - VA) he's pretty moderate, but concentration should really be on the house.

If amtrak survives this, it can survive anything other than a dictatorship, I guess our government can work when it tries

Back