what kind of summer will it be for the eb?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
as we remember, last summer (and late spring and early fall) the eb had terrible luck and problems resulting in an otp into chi near 0 for some of that time. equipment problems, freight congestion, heat restrictions, grizzly bears and on and on. since fall the eb has had great otp. any speculation on what the summer holds?

Well, the bears and heat are a given. Added to the mix will be increased energy train traffic--BNSF estimates their car movements to the east especially will be up double digits this year, so that may slow things down a bit as well. Construction will commence again in earnest, BNSF has MUCH to do this summer to help accommodate their increased needs and finally--possible flooding. Not a certainty to be sure, but the snowpack in ND and MN is somewhat above normal and it all depends on how quickly it melts. The one piece of good news is the ground is so dry from last year's drought that some of the moisture will be absorbed first before heading into the Souris and Red Rivers.

Time will tell. My personal guess is the summer will likely show delays of several hours each way, but hopefully no worse than that.

Well, the bears and heat are a given. Added to the mix will be increased energy train traffic--BNSF estimates their car movements to the east especially will be up double digits this year, so that may slow things down a bit as well. Construction will commence again in earnest, BNSF has MUCH to do this summer to help accommodate their increased needs and finally--possible flooding. Not a certainty to be sure, but the snowpack in ND and MN is somewhat above normal and it all depends on how quickly it melts. The one piece of good news is the ground is so dry from last year's drought that some of the moisture will be absorbed first before heading into the Souris and Red Rivers.Time will tell. My personal guess is the summer will likely show delays of several hours each way, but hopefully no worse than that.
We're hoping it goes into the ground, but the freeze and layer of ice that's below the snow makes it hard for the ground to thaw enough to be able to take the moisture.

This is good information. I am taking the EB for the first time on May 11th, on the way back home from my next train adventure and have a 5+ hour wait for the LSL in Chicago, so any extra time on the train is a plus, and of course if I miss a guarantee connection, Amtrak will take care of me, right?

A friend of mine in Fargo told me last week that they are predicting the Red River to crest at 38'+ this spring. Will be one of the top five all time floods for the area. Will surely affect track west of there like a few springs back.

as we remember, last summer (and late spring and early fall) the eb had terrible luck and problems resulting in an otp into chi near 0 for some of that time. equipment problems, freight congestion, heat restrictions, grizzly bears and on and on. since fall the eb has had great otp. any speculation on what the summer holds?
All I know is: It will be record breaking positive OTP for all Amtrak trains from 8/16/13 thru 8/25/13!!!!!!!! :hi: :giggle: :p :)

All I know is: It will be record breaking positive OTP for all Amtrak trains from 8/16/13 thru 8/25/13!!!!!!!! :hi: :giggle: :p :)
good luck

good luck
Gonna have fun, no matter what happens!!!! :D

The Red River could hit those numbers indeed, BUT so much has to happen to reach that level. Plus, BNSF spent big bucks and months raising the track level on the stretch around Devil's Lake, so at least that area should not be effected as much. I have been on the EB when the Red was at 38 feet, going right thru Fargo and the train was able to make it thru OK, albeit somewhat slower than normal.

Time will tell. The longer the temps stay below normal, as they have been for several weeks now, the slower the snow melt, which means less pressure on the Red river and it's tributaries. Let's hope for the best!

good luck
Gonna have fun, no matter what happens!!!! :D
Bring snacks and booze! :)

Hopefully they won't have any derailments this summer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back