What if Amtrak built new cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

What if Amtrak built/rebuilt new cars(superliners)? What would train travellers like to see?

I would like to see the following....

Sleepers:

More room, I feel that in todays time the lux bedrooms should be the roomettes. I would have these on the lower level and maybe 4 on the upper level.

The lux bedrooms should be huge(for the price you pay), all upper level....maybe a drawing room type of thing.

Lounges:

I think that every long distance train should have its own first-class loung. Maybe some booths on the upper level. Get rid of the bar that never seems to be used on the upper level. Also sell some themed items on the train.

Diners:

Have first-class seating...some etched glass would be nice as well.

Other:

Have themed trains; diners,lounges should be themed to the train itself...e.g. Texas Eagle with BBQ heading south, Chicago Deep-Dish heading north. Builder west with a Montana sized steak, east with some Chicago beef sandies. I mean really make it feel like you are actually going somewhere special.

what do you think?

Not going bankrupt is a good first step so that there are cars period, getting the Acelas back is number two, then adding capactiy is number three.

I concur with BTN51's sentiments here. I can also see something like what is being suggested being used as ammo for Amtrak's many enemies: "I don't want my taxpayer money going to support a roling cruise that no one rides . . ."* While I agree that Amtrak could use new cars, or at least expand the rebuild program, Amtrak has to get its situation in order. It needs to reach a point where it consistently delivers a standard level of service across its network, before the organization should explore the topic of additional amenities on its trains.

*edit: many of the members of the forum are aware that this statement is false. Amtrak sells plenty of tickets, to the point that trains such as the Empire Builder are frequently close to if not completely booked throughout the year.

battalion51 said:
Not going bankrupt is a good first step........
Ditto......... we'll worry "bout the rest later! Gotta continue to get the railroad up to snuff if it is gonna work out at all! OBS...

If they can consistently sell out the existing tiny rooms at exorbitant prices it seems counterproductive to buy cars with larger, less expensive rooms. They would be shooting themselves in the foot. There's enough administration robots shooting at them already, aided with crippled Acelas and burning bridges. They could use more of the sleepers they currently have, if in fact they mostly sell out, and that would be something I would hope Gunn would "shoot" for, since it would increase profitability strongly.

Back