Vodka and Orange

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
So taking advantage of the special fares I booked a RT on the Acela NYP-BOS BC in the morning and FC in the evening. I figured it would be a nice semi-cheap way to escape my life.

And I was wrong.

Woke up just as the train left the station-- I swiftly pulled out my TT and noted that the next train (and thew only one left before 1PM) was leaving in forty minutes. I ran down to Penn station in dirty clothes without a shower or shave. Needless to say I felt very... unclean.

Rebooking proved to be no problem (though I had to dump another $45 onto the ticket). Boarding was also easy-- because the train was half empty... There the train gradually filled up to BOS-- but during the entire ride I never had a seat partner next to, behind, or in front of me. The bistro car was also vacant for the majority of the ride. (And this ticket was supposed to be in a higher bucket? Where were all the people?)

My uncleanliness was bothering me however I soon realized I blended right in... the BC car I was seated in (the one right in front of the cafe towards the head) was, in three words: dingy, dirty, and dank. It was probably the least clean car I have ever been in on an Amtrak train. There was year-old gum on the back of the seat, the tray table wouldn't fold out easy, the seats were all stained and nothing about the interior looked fresh or clean.

As for the BC seat: I have heard many here describe them as "coach" seats rather jokingly. I will say, yes-- I'd take Superliner coach over this.. but not Amfleets or the Talgo coach... the pitch was generous and the seat was comfortable. (though in desperate need of re upholstry). The adjustable head rest was nice depending on which part of me was aching more-- the back,shoulders, or head...

The ride was very nice-- the scanner was a nice addition to hear all the MetroNorth people.. err.. conduct... We ended up sticking around Cos Cob for awhile because whoever was managing the bridge had stepped out while the bridge was raised and didn't lower it... for twenty minutes I heard "are you there? hello, I have an Express waiting" ect.

There were some speed restrictions due to trackwork North of NHV however we were able to still hit our 150mph stretches very nicely and with a smooth ride.

In Boston I was expecting a washout, I was pleased to see there was none. I was not pleased to note that there was no in-harbour ferry service which meant I was stuck walking around Quincy and North End. I had some chowder, some fish and chips... Then I went back to the station an enjoyed the lounge which was far superior to the WAS lounge IMHO-- even though there were no early boarding calls.

When boarding 2193 home I managed to scare myself and a couple of the BPD.

I came down the stairs from the FC lounge and into the main concourse as I passed a pair of BPD officers and one of their dogs. Now I am not quite sure if the dog was there for drugs, bombs, or was just there for show. It seemed to me that these two officers were very polite and more interested in talking to passers by than hunting down crack dealers and terrorists. It was supposed to be a rainy day and instead it was very sunny so everybody was in a good mood.

I walked past the officers and smiled before making my way to the platform-- at which point the dog begins to whine and strain at his leash towards me. I have a mild phobia for dogs and panicked instantly, the cops panicked as well. All three of us looked up at each other with this split second fear of one another.

Oh my God I am going to be arrested for being a terrorist!

Oh my God there actually IS a terrorist!

The one officer asked me what was in my bag. I informed her it was a laptop and a railroad scanner-- she reached out for the bag and as she did the dog went after the little take out bag I had-- full of a fish n' chips lunch leftover. When we realized the dog was whining about "food" and not barking "bomb!" we all kind of laughed at the situation. She gave me my laptop back and apologized, saying the dog was not fully trained for any real police duty and was there as part of a public relations recruitment drive. Her partner told me to have a safe trip-- to which I responded "Yeah, you too-- and feed your dog, please..."

I was un/lucky to get one of the new leather seats in FC. My analysis: the old tattered BC seats were more comfortable coming up, and certainly these seats were wider and had more room, but they were just not cushy. This was made up, however, by the utter sterility of the car. I felt more comfortable, it was spotless.

Another empty train.

For supper I had the veal, which was delicious. I also was showing my Russian heritage and ordered a vodka and orange, and then another. Then another, and a fourth... with that one the FCA just gave me the little bottles of Absolut and a glass of OJ so I had a fifth as well. I must have been holding my liquor very well-- we were early into NHV and were allowed a nice smoking stop. The engineer came down and mingled with those (six) of us in FC. He took note of my scanner and asked if I was a railfan... I semi-lied and said "yes, on business" to which he then looked down the platform and invited me into the cab making sure to say "no pictures, no touching" well-- I was wide-eyed. He asked if I wanted to ride shotgun the rest of the way, when I said "yes" he laughed and said "Okay, next stop New York, please return to your seat."

After NHV they had run out of vodka and I was on gin and tonic, and again. Good to know I hold my liquor well. I engaged a few other pax and the FCA in conversation about the EB because none of them had traveled on Amtrak outside the NEC. I could tell I was a little bit chuckly, but other than that I relayed the best things about seeing "the towns that even Greyhound forgot".

Into NYP I was treated to the last of the trains stock of alcohol-- a glass of white wine.

I managed the subway ride home in Manhattan and promptly began to enjoy my inebriation until around midnight.

Picture album attached:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37348496@N04/...57617800255131/

your 20 years old AND DRINKING ALCOHOL. YOUR A MINOR. you have to be 21 to drink in the USA in case you didn't notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
your 20 years old AND DRINKING ALCOHOL. YOUR A MINOR. you have to be 21 to drink in the USA in case you didn't notice.
And I could go into half a hundred bars here in Manhattan and get a drink anytime I want to-- what, you think I'm not ignorant? I'm well aware of the law.

However there's adults who drink and act like idiots-- kids too. Age (by the way, only a matter of months... ehem) doesn't really matter. Maturity it what counts.

I'd had drinks served to me before, on land, sea, on trains too-- Your concern is noted.

And.. by the way... for those of you who read thins and are about to say the same thing... think hard. Think really REALLY hard about this: how old were you when you had your first drink?

This isn't a topic about minors and alcohol and Amtrak-- you wanna talk about that, start a thread somewhere else. This is a serious review about the differences in service on the Acela line.

Oh, and for anybody misled by the title... "Vodka and Orange" refers to BC and FC. One you need a stiff drink to get through, the other needs a chaser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report, but one thing to point out there is indeed inner harbor ferry service in Boston you can ride it throughout the harbor from docks at Long Wharf right by Aquarium Station of the Blue Line.

Good report, but one thing to point out there is indeed inner harbor ferry service in Boston you can ride it throughout the harbor from docks at Long Wharf right by Aquarium Station of the Blue Line.
Trust me it was closed. They said service was to resume May 9th. This was May 8th. I was fresh out of luck sadly...

To harbor islands yes, but you could still had ridden a 10 minute ferry to Charlestown Navy Yard, so you could had seen the harbor, also ferries to the South and North Shores also run year long.

To harbor islands yes, but you could still had ridden a 10 minute ferry to Charlestown Navy Yard, so you could had seen the harbor, also ferries to the South and North Shores also run year long.
That's where I wanted to go! Damnit!

Oh well-- I don't know if I had enough time to do it anyway. I wanted to see the Constitution... but I guess I'll have to wait until next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back